So me and a friend were talkin about it, and we both have a problem with power chords. We cant really describe it, but they just... Dont sound right.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or does anyone have some tips? lol
First up, power chords are not chords. They are fifths. And if you are going to do an in complete chord, you need to do a third.

Now to answer your question!
Try retuning your guitar, if that doesn't work, when was the last time you restrung your guitar? Restring and retune if it's been a while.
Is it your hand position?
-----
-----
-----
-5---
-5---
-3---

That is the fingering for a lower fifth, and is identical on the string up. Are you playing that?
Are you using correct fingerings? There are two ways.
First, index on the E string and ring on the A and pinky on the D (the ring and pinky can be switched, it's more of a comfort thing).
The other way, which is not recomended, is index on the E and barring the other two with the ring. This creates tension, however, and is not good for your health of your hand.

Hope this helped, and I hope this isn't condensending, sometimes you forget to check the basis. I know I do from time to time, I'll hear my high e string fluttering and go, "Hmm.... why is it fluttering...." and then like, 3 weeks later realize, "Hey. I need to change strings. Hah..." (thankfully I don't really do much with guitar these days).
Check and make sure you are both properly tuned. Some times I'll play an E5 (this is the name of a power chord btw, e5, f5, etc). And it turns out I'm slightly sharp and I just need to retune my guitar.
First up, power chords are not chords. They are fifths. And if you are going to do an in complete chord, you need to do a third.

What was even the point of saying that? We're not in musicians talk.

Power chords are CALLED power chords. That is their name, they're not called power diads, and he didn't mention anything about theory so stop being a douche.

And TS, it's impossible to give advice with the information you provided. Can we perhaps see a video/diagram/picture of how you're playing them?
Quote by mrddrm

Not necessarily. You could substitute the third with a second or fourth.

TS, you're probably just out of tune.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Maybe just pressing too hard? You can bend the strings out of tune simply by pressing too hard.
...Or maybe you're thinking of heavily distorted power chords? In which case you probably need more gain.
Maybe you're used to drop d so you play it as a bar but you're actually in standard.... Ugh I hate when my friend does that it's like I know what you're trying to do.. but you're wrong!?!?!?!

Edit: Don't know why I said that....
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

Quote by Junior#1
Not necessarily. You could substitute the third with a second or fourth.

TS, you're probably just out of tune.

No, they would not be a chord. A chord is thirds stacked on each other. You can, however, do inversions, which would remotely make the appearance of a fourth, but it really would be an inversion.

And to everyone else, bugger off. I answered his question with nearly everything that could be wrong and how to fix it. I'm sorry that I'm trying to push that "power chords" is an absurd concept... because they're fifths... and fifths are not chords. Terminology is everything, man.
Quote by mrddrm
No, they would not be a chord. A chord is thirds stacked on each other. You can, however, do inversions, which would remotely make the appearance of a fourth, but it really would be an inversion.

And to everyone else, bugger off. I answered his question with nearly everything that could be wrong and how to fix it. I'm sorry that I'm trying to push that "power chords" is an absurd concept... because they're fifths... and fifths are not chords. Terminology is everything, man.

Lol.

Terminology is everything?

Well terminology is only important so everybody knows what you're talking about. Power chords are what they're called, whether they're technically chords or not.

Secondly, you're chatting rubbish. Going by your theory then add CHORDS aren't chords either. Even though everyone calls them chords.

Dick head.
Quote by GilbertsPinky
Lol.

Terminology is everything?

Well terminology is only important so everybody knows what you're talking about. Power chords are what they're called, whether they're technically chords or not.

Secondly, you're chatting rubbish. Going by your theory then add CHORDS aren't chords either. Even though everyone calls them chords.

Dick head.

Technically you're both wrong and right, he's right in that powerchords aren't chords and you're right in that sus2/sus4 chords are chords.

A chord is THREE notes played at the same time, it could be three notes chromatically apart from each other but that's still a chord.

Two note things like powerchords are technically diads.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I know they are...i never said they weren't and at the top of the thread i actually said 'we don't call them power diads'. I was merely saying that pointing out OMGZ THEY NOT ACTUALLY CHORDS!11 had no useful input to the thread, because 99% of everyone refers to them as power CHORDS. That is their name, whether they're technically chords or not. Calling him out on his terminology was a douchey thing to do.

I just don't like people thinking they're being clever when they're clearly just being a douche.

It's like someone going 'go sit on the bed' 'OMGZ THATZ ACTUALLY A FUTON!'. Pointless and stupid.
Last edited by GilbertsPinky at Sep 3, 2010,
HEY GUYZ LETS CHANGE THE COMMON NAME OF A POWER CHORD TO A POWER FIFTH JUST BECAUSE IT ACTUALLY ISNT A FULL CHORD!!! ok now that my sarcasm is complete, as stated above, probubly a tuning issue or your strings need changed, if that doesnt help, post a vid or audio clip =)
Quote by timfoley
my friend just started and he always bends the 5th cause he can't stretch his finger. so make sure your not bending any notes

Definitely this. And make sure you're in tune and not pressing down excessively hard on the strings, or dampening any of them
lets just have a look at the definition of a chord......a chord is is formed when more than 1 note is played simultaneously with any other notes.

so that includes diads, triads, doublestops,unison bends, power chords and all other permutations..... what scalar intervals are used give the chord it`s name

TS:- tune up, check the intonation and your fretting technique