Hello there!

I have been playing electric guitar for round about 4 years now and i know absolutely nothing about amps. I am currently playing lead guitar in a band and all I own is a Yamaha 15w amp (Not TOO bad for a practice amp).

I have about £300 to spend and I am willing to go used. I play a lot of classic rock (GNR) blues (Hendrix), standard rock (Foo Fighters, Audioslave ect.) RATM (Really do not know what to class that as and a little bit of metal (Metallica, Iron Maiden ect.)

I need something loud enough for gigs in front of about 200 - 300 people. We have done gigs like these before but I have had to borrow an amp every time which is a pain in the backside! If it helps I own a Fender Classic Player 50's Strat (Plays like a Dream!) and a Digitech RP350 (I know, don't laugh My band does a lot of covers and it is a lot easier to save patches on that instead of having to ratchet everything back and forth to get the correct sound for each song) Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Quote by Jason
Ancient scrolls predict that when Fred Durst and Lil Wayne perform a guitar duet while touching the tips of their penises together, the gates of hell will open and swallow us all.

Hehe.

Are you looking for tube or solid state? (Pleasesaytubepleasesaytubepleasesaytube) Or actually if you "know nothing about amps" as you say do you know about the differences between solid-state and tube amplifiers?
yea...i would read up on tube vs. solid state amps. you'll want tube though.

i'm probably going to catch some crap for this...but maybe try to pick up a used fender hot rod deville (may be a little more than your budget though, even used). it wouldn't be a bad first tube amp. when you ditch the rp350, you can throw a nice overdrive in front of the clean channel and still get some decent tones. it will handle the classic rock, blues, and as you say, "standard rock"genres well....and will suffice for the little bit of metal you play.
JCA20C With money left over for a boost if needed.

Also, Tube is not always greater than Solid State, keep that in mind.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Also, Tube is not always greater than Solid State, keep that in mind.

No. Tube is ALWAYS better than solid state. With maybe the exception of reliability and consistency. But name me a person on this planet who isn't insane who would pick an ss amp over a tube amp purely because of those two things and I shall eat my hat good sir.

Anyway, I just bagged myself a used Marshall dsl401 for £290 which imo is the best amp in your budget for standard rock, trust me. It really is perfect for that, the cleans are immaculate and the overdrive is unbelievably sweet. And it's all-valve.
No. Tube is ALWAYS better than solid state. With maybe the exception of reliability and consistency. But name me a person on this planet who isn't insane who would pick an ss amp over a tube amp purely because of those two things and I shall eat my hat good sir.
You sir are a fool, if Mr. T was here, he would pity you.

For starters, whenever you feel the need to post your opinion in ALL CAPS it makes you look like an arrogant 13 year old who thinks he knows everything and also thinks that gives him the right to be an a-hole because no one on the internet knows who he is.

Secondly, If you gave me a choice between an SS and a tube amp, I would pick whatever one sounds better, and if it was the SS, so be it, and before you get all pissy, I own a tube amp that I love so I'm not biased.

My name is Kyle Rehm, I am a person, and in the right situation, I would pick an SS over a tube.

(awaits youtube link of you eating your hat)

EDIT- I screwed up the quote and I don't know how to fix it. Btw @TS, sorry I didn't really contribute anything other then a good ol' fashion fool busting, so I'll make it right. A Peavey Widsor might work for you, you can get them pretty cheap, I have the combo and my friend has the half stack, awesome one channel tube amp.
Me and my girlfriend were in a guitar store one day.

My GF- What's the difference between Gibson and Epiphone?

Me- (Explains)

GF- So Epiphone is like Gibson's slutty little sister?

Me- I love you.
Last edited by Kyle-Rehm at Sep 2, 2010,
I would get a Vox Valvetronix
you can get 15,30,50 or 100 watt models. (to match your description, the 100 watt would be great, it has 2 12" speakers)
Has 8 footswitchable channels you can save into the amp.
Has 22 great amp models to suit all the genres mentioned.

Its pretty much everything you asked for
Quote by voodoochild23
The Pit is one of the most brutally honest places in the universe.

Quote by KeepOnRotting
I demand the nigga nyigguh nukka.

Quote by adstr123

Anyway, I just bagged myself a used Marshall dsl401 for £290 which imo is the best amp in your budget for standard rock, trust me. It really is perfect for that, the cleans are immaculate and the overdrive is unbelievably sweet. And it's all-valve.

Whatever, Tube is not always better than SS. Your saying that I should choose an Epiphone valve junior over a Line 6 Vetta.....
You sir are a fool, if Mr. T was here, he would pity you.

For starters, whenever you feel the need to post your opinion in ALL CAPS it makes you look like an arrogant 13 year old who thinks he knows everything and also thinks that gives him the right to be an a-hole because no one on the internet knows who he is.

Secondly, If you gave me a choice between an SS and a tube amp, I would pick whatever one sounds better, and if it was the SS, so be it, and before you get all pissy, I own a tube amp that I love so I'm not biased.

My name is Kyle Rehm, I am a person, and in the right situation, I would pick an SS over a tube.

(awaits youtube link of you eating your hat)

No, I posted in caps for effect, duh....
Yes exactly, whichever sounds better. Tube amps pretty much always sound better! Obviously I'm not saying there are exceptions, but in general, are you really telling me that you'd recommend an ss over a tube amp for someone who plays "standard rock"? Exactly.

EDIT: I also messed up the quote... :L
Quote by adstr123
No, I posted in caps for effect, duh....
Yes exactly, whichever sounds better. Tube amps pretty much always sound better! Obviously I'm not saying there are exceptions, but in general, are you really telling me that you'd recommend an ss over a tube amp for someone who plays "standard rock"? Exactly.

EDIT: I also messed up the quote... :L

Someone made a reference to a Vetta and a Valve Jr, a little extreme but it shows the point I was trying to make. It's not "SS vs. Tube" it's an amp compared to another amp.

If you read my edit you'll see I recomended a tube amp that IMO would work well for TS. The whole reason I included my edit was because I got a little wrapped up in my first point and didn't contribute anything relevant.

Like I said, no one knows who you are on the internet so when I see "Tube amps ALWAYS sound better" I assume the worst before someone gets some bad information. I've played good amps, bad amps, new amps, old amps, tubes, and solid states. (I spend a little too much time in guitar stores for not having any money) and there is a simple conclusion, good is good, sh*t is sh*t, bottles or not.

Adstr123, you're more or less right, about 95% of my favorite amps are tube amps, but you should watch your wording, ALWAYS =/= pretty much.
(btw, still waiting on that link)

EDIT: Got the quote right this time!
Me and my girlfriend were in a guitar store one day.

My GF- What's the difference between Gibson and Epiphone?

Me- (Explains)

GF- So Epiphone is like Gibson's slutty little sister?

Me- I love you.
Last edited by Kyle-Rehm at Sep 3, 2010,
Fair comment. Yeah well 95% is what I meant :L But okay, will do.

Anyway, back on point. My friend has a valvetronix and yes, it id a brilliant amp. But as I said my vote would go to am Marshall dsl401.
Quote by adstr123

Well thats a pile of shit.
Plenty of metal artists use them. And Jazz artists.

People who prefer the response of SS amps over Valve.

You cant just act like a know it all c*nt and not expect people to shoot you down.

The DSL401 is less than mediocre. The Laney VC, Peavey Classic, Fender Blues Junior are in his budget and are much better.