First post on UG

I have been playing with 13-56 gauge strings for a few months, as i have been playing a lot in C standard tuning. Have just recently started listening to more bands that play in standard, and have decided to change up to a thinner string gauge. I have looked around and it looks like ernie ball or daddario 10-52's would be ideal, but suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, will making such a gauge change mean i need to adjust truss rod and/or intonation, and if so is it something that i can learn how to do or is it best to get a shop to do it. Have only been playing for about 8 months so please keep instructions simple :P
welcome to UG.

i play 10 - 46 in standard tuning for classic rock/blues, works fine for me.

it's quite a big change that you are going to make, so yes, you will need a new set up.
have a look at the excellent guitar set up thread in this forum. that will at least tell you
what needs doing and how to do it. if you feel uncertain after reading this, take it to a
good guitar tech.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
thank you for advice. will try to learn to do setup myself as i dont like paying guitar tech all the time Back to the strings though, with 10-52's would i be able to go any lower than drop d or should i just stick with standard and drop d. Was thinking 10-52's because i do a lot of metal stuff and like tight lower strings for riffing.
The lowest a 52 set would go is probably Drop C. You can go to Drop B, but gets a bit mudder after that. So yes, I'd say 52's would be the go =)
thanks all. Drop C was as low as i was hoping to go anyway. One final question, Ernie Ball or Daddario 10-52's, or is the difference insignificant?
Quote by justsomeguy999
thank you for advice. will try to learn to do setup myself as i dont like paying guitar tech all the time Back to the strings though, with 10-52's would i be able to go any lower than drop d or should i just stick with standard and drop d. Was thinking 10-52's because i do a lot of metal stuff and like tight lower strings for riffing.

i use dunlop .10-.52's and they go into E standard right down to drop C fine. They'll go into drop B without any problems but the strings get pretty loose by then.
Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Joeseffel

Quote by smcstoronto1234

So very true...