Hey guys.
One the guys teaching music at my school offered me to give me a broken MG (no idea what's wrong with it, he says he's fixed before but it doesn't stay fixed for long). All I know about it is that it's a 15 watter and it may be either a DFX or one of those CD ones.

I need a small practice amp right now, since my Frontman's not really cutting it as either a clean nor overdriven amp, and I entrusted my school's music department with my AC15...

Is there anything salvageable in the MG? I was thinking about building some sort of decent transistor amp in there, maybe using the power/output transformers. I've done pedals and stuff before, but not really an amp.
What's a good transistor amp I could build/model after in there?
If anything, I just need a decent clean channel. Overdrive/heavy distortion isn't really necessary but might be nice...If nothing is useable, then I figure I could just gut everything and use the speaker/chassis.

Thoughts?
Thanks <3
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Last edited by AntiG3 at Sep 2, 2010,
I have played a couple different fender frontmans and I can say they actually half pretty decent cleans. Much much better than the MG at least.

Getting an amp that cheap just to use the chassis will require a lot of work that isn't worth the end result IMO.
Quote by lil PopTart kid
Build a MOSFET amp. They are a type of transistor. All the sound of a tube amp with less cost.
You wish.

Anyway, maybe try some kind of lower power Roland JC120?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by JayLacelle
I have played a couple different fender frontmans and I can say they actually half pretty decent cleans. Much much better than the MG at least.

Getting an amp that cheap just to use the chassis will require a lot of work that isn't worth the end result IMO.

I don't know what MG you've played, but mine has amazing cleans, no matter what volume, it's one thing solid state is great at.

and MOSFETs can get tube like tones, but it won't sound exactly like a tube, especially in distortion.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by MonkeyLink07
I don't know what MG you've played, but mine has amazing cleans, no matter what volume, it's one thing solid state is great at.

I agree... my MGfx sounds great clean... this is directly into it, no pedals, just the built in effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wUQXBf-fSU
Last edited by Explorerbuilder at Sep 2, 2010,
The Marshall 15watt Mg I had a long time ago crapped out on me in about a week. My guess is there probably isn't anything worth salvaging except maybe cosmetic stuff like knobs and the Marshall logo.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
The MG has nice cleans, and I suppose the frontman does too, but IMO something like a Cube/AC15 beats both of them hands down.

The thing that's nasty about both of them is the overdrive, and how it's just really sterile with a total lack of depth.
Quote by JayLacelle
Sorry, I think I forgot to mention it was free :P
Besides, I don't really mind, cause I'm thinking about building a Silver Jubilee in the future, and this might be some good general practice.

I'll look into the JC120. I've played some at a store, they're quite nice

Thanks!
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!