today i was told (by my doctor) that i have a fine motor problem with muscles in my hand. he commented on why my writing and drawing looks like that of an 10 year olds.

anyway ive been playing guitar for about 7 years and im struggling to improve past mediocre techniques (with teachers and constant practice). I mentioned this to my doctor and he replied something along the lines of 'you will probably never have decent technical skills on guitar'. which almost crushed me.

just wondering how many people have dealt with fine motor problems. has anyone managed to develop decent technical skills? what would you suggest as methods of combating this?

many thanks!
I think I may have this problem. I write like a retarded child whose hand's been under a monster truck, no matter how much practice I got. Similarly, I've tried to practice certain techniques like sweep picking for hours and hours on end, with no visible improvement after I reach a certain level. I've just come to the conclusion that I'll never be an "epic" guitar player, but it's not really all that much of a problem for me considering that I don't listen to much virtuoso music, and I much prefer using a guitar to get interesting sounds and textures out of rather than soloing my heart out.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
ive never had it officially diagnosed, but my handwriting looks like that of a 10 year old (ive tried many different times and in many different ways, but ive had no improvement since i was 7), and i cant draw anything to save my life. but ive gotten pretty good at guitar in the 2.5 years ive been playing.
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Nah i just generally suck at guitar. i dont think it has anything to do with fine motor skills.
Its sucks for you though man. U need to prove him wrong
he commented on why my writing and drawing looks like that of an 10 year olds.

ouch lol.how old are you anyway?

anyways, i dont have motor skill problems but i guess you can still be a good guitarist in a different way. you might not be able to shred and do really fast runs, but you can learn to solo with less notes. sometimes making the most out of a few notes is better than shredding. you might have to switch to a "lighter" genre though (im assuming you like hard rock/metal/any other genre that heavily requires speed). more importantly, keep on rockin' and dont let this stop you
Last edited by jm911 at Sep 2, 2010,
#2 no i dont want to give up on guitar.

#3 fine motor skills is the ability to control fine motion within muscles. i cant really control fine motions with my hand, which leads to shaky, inaccurate movement. sucks with writing, and guitar.
My idea will maybe seem absurd, but why wouldn't you try to develop a way of playing able to sound like normal playing ? I mean, maybe you could try "cheating" to imitate technical skills in a different way. Just think about Tony Iommi and Django Reinhardt.
You said sometimes your hand is shaking, couldn't it be a way to do, I don't know, a "left-hand tremolo" ?
Last edited by Silverpack at Sep 2, 2010,
this may not count for much but it is possible to over come difficulties and still be a technical guitarist, tony iommi for example lost his fingertips in a milling incident and had to relearn guitar after he replaced his fingertips with thimbles, just goes to show
Carpe Diem

Old Chinese Proverb say, couple on 7 day honeymoon make whole week.
Quote by jm911
ouch lol.how old are you anyway?

17. the problem was brought up by my drawing teacher who compared work from when i was 13 to now. argh
imposible is nothing i mean you see guys with no arms playing the guitar well so you have an advantage there

who say's playing the right way is the only way to play
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
My handwriting is really, really terrible. I can't draw anything nice either.
However, my guitar playing is fine. My progress is even above average. Ask yourself: is your doctor a guitarist? No? Then don't worry. You might not reach the Gilbert/Satriani/Vai level, but who cares?
You could learn to play guitar with your feet?

Really though, I don't know. I have awful handwriting always have since I was 5. I play guitar fine though. I don't know what to tell you though, this is a real stumper :?
Don't worry too much about it. My previous guitarist had the same problem, his hands looked like a mess going up and down the fretboard, but he still made it sound clean. It's all about working around your disabilities man, you can do it.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Last edited by Victory2134 at Sep 2, 2010,
Tony Iommi is missing the tips of his fingers, people learn to play guitar with their feet. You can achieve whatever you set out to achieve, your doctor says you'll never be any good at guitar? Prove him wrong. Work around your disabilities, adapt and overcome. Good luck.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
No sweat. Three of the greatest guitarists of all time have dealt with disabilities:

Django Reinhardt

Les Paul

Toni Iommi

..and there are those who overcame nerve problems late in life:

Dave Mustaine

Chuck Schuldiner

All of the above have played amazing guitar despite profound physical or neurological deficits. All of the above (except Iommi, but he's still awesome) have also baffled and frustrated generations of "normal" guitar players to even approach their prowess.

Django Reinhardt in particular is considered by some to be the greatest guitar player ever - that's right: better than Steve Vai, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Johnson, Jimi Hendrix, whoever...

He had two fingers!

Tell your doctor to stick his opinions straight up his ass!!

Good luck, bro.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

My handwriting is terrible but my picking is fine for 1 year and about 8 months of guitar, but I've hit a wall with my picking speed for quite a long time.

I don't think there's a link between bad handwriting/fine motor problems and guitar, unless your motor problem cripples you in other aspects of life such as picking up stuff.

If all else fails, focus on left hand technique, you can still go at lightspeed with legato.
Daamn. Now I'm worried. I've been playing for nearly 2 years and I generally suck at guitar. My handwriting is absolutely horrible and I can't draw anything better than stick-people.
Gear :

Jackson JS32T King V
Vox VT40+
Stagg C542
I dont mean to put a damper on the situation but some people cant play guitar. I tried giving my cousin lesson for awhile and his motor skills/coordnation where the main problem in him progressing or even learning simple one string bass lines. But if you have already gotten over the hump of learning and playing songs and you enjoy playing just keep at it.
yes, ive progressed to a point where i can (barely) play starry night by joe satriani. problem i have i with accuracy, im constant finding myself in situations where i cant move to right note or cant even play it all.

because my hands are so shaky i cant play with accuracy or speed :/
I write terribly, but that's because I don't write much. I play guitar real good, because I play guitar much.

They're exclusive qualities.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
No sweat. Three of the greatest guitarists of all time have dealt with disabilities:

Django Reinhardt

Les Paul

Toni Iommi

..and there are those who overcame nerve problems late in life:

Dave Mustaine

Chuck Schuldiner

All of the above have played amazing guitar despite profound physical or neurological deficits. All of the above (except Iommi, but he's still awesome) have also baffled and frustrated generations of "normal" guitar players to even approach their prowess.

Django Reinhardt in particular is considered by some to be the greatest guitar player ever - that's right: better than Steve Vai, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Johnson, Jimi Hendrix, whoever...

He had two fingers!

Tell your doctor to stick his opinions straight up his ass!!

Good luck, bro.

+ 1000000
I'd like to add Jason Becker to that list. Dude could only move his eyes and was still composing.
Seriously dude, as they say "Don't let the bastards get you down"
I say keep chippin' away at guitar if that's what you love. So what if you can't shred like a god? I say do what you do and perhaps you'll even find a way to turn it positive, maybe you'll come up with some awesome techniques to compensate for what you can't do and end up blowing all of the rest of us out the the water, who knows?
Best of luck dude. \m/ \m/
Quote by Silverpack
My idea will maybe seem absurd, but why wouldn't you try to develop a way of playing able to sound like normal playing ? I mean, maybe you could try "cheating" to imitate technical skills in a different way. Just think about Tony Iommi and Django Reinhardt.
You said sometimes your hand is shaking, couldn't it be a way to do, I don't know, a "left-hand tremolo" ?

You mean like, somehow whammying without a whammy bar???
I have read an interview with David Gilmour where he said that he will never be able to play fast, so he is trying to find something that he can add to his playing style to compensate that, and I think it shows in his playing, I mean seriously, he can play only 2 notes and it's going to sound orgasmic. Maybe try the same thing?
Django Reinhardt did fine with nerve damage, and Tony Iommi did it without his goddamn fingertips. Don't give up mate; use thinner strings on shorter scales, tune down to loosen the strings, use capos, focus on the melodic end of the music(Some of the men regarded as the best guitarists in the world, people like David Gilmour, B.B. King, guys like that, don't play fast guitar, they play beautiful guitar. Not to say fast can't be beautiful, but slow can be tear-jerking), melodicity and a knowledge of what notes make sense can make up for being slow. It'll require a lot of precision due to the inaccurate nature of it, but slide may also work depending on the disability.

Alternately, you could always take the role of a composer; Get yourself a good lead guitarist, focus on rhythm and writing, be the brain and let your lead guitarist be the muscle. If you have a good voice you could sing too. But most importantly, don't give up hope; I know how corny it sounds, but with hope you can overcome. For all our faults, human beings are damn enginuitive creatures, if you've got a good head and can look outside the box, with hope you'll be able to get past most of life's problems.

If you ever start feeling depressed, come to the Hugging Thread, we're always happy to help.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by stratman7
You mean like, somehow whammying without a whammy bar???

truly made me laugh out loud
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
I admire djangos style, but forgot he only played with two fingers

looks like he has a full set of fingers in that picture though... are they like finger stumps? :S
Quote by MR_Million
today i was told (by my doctor) that i have a fine motor problem with muscles in my hand. he commented on why my writing and drawing looks like that of an 10 year olds.

anyway ive been playing guitar for about 7 years and im struggling to improve past mediocre techniques (with teachers and constant practice). I mentioned this to my doctor and he replied something along the lines of 'you will probably never have decent technical skills on guitar'. which almost crushed me.

just wondering how many people have dealt with fine motor problems. has anyone managed to develop decent technical skills? what would you suggest as methods of combating this?

many thanks!

Why would you listen to your doctor? unless he actually plays guitar he has no idea what hes talking about

you can still be really creative, it just sounds like your problem might be that your playing could be a little sloppy from shaky hands. I also write like a kid, but you know what? i can get pretty damn creative on the guitar and i dont give a damn what any "Doctor" says.

Dude Fuck your doctor, if you really love playing guitar and love to express your emotions through your playing/music then youll do it.