Hey , I have been playing on my tube starter amp for years now , I do have a very good bc rich guitar now , and now I'm looking for a new amp to buy. I was wondering which should I buy , the marshall mg 30 fx , or the line 6 spider IV 75 watts , I saw some reviews on youtube but I'm wondering , which is better for playing metal stuff like disturbed and has enough watts for band practice & small giggs. maybe you guys have some other suggestions my budget limit is around 280 euros
if your starter amp is a tube amp then mg or spider is going to be a step down
If you already have a small tube amp, then either of those amps is going to be a step down, definatly... In fact, those two amps that you mentioned are probably the worst two popular guitar amps on sale today.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Best idea is to go to a guitar shop and play many amps and see which one you like the best. i wouldnt go with the Line 6 spider amps personally. Ive heard good things about the Roland 80x.
The marshall and line 6 would be about your worst choice lol i have a mg 10 practice amp, and a spider II 75 watt, and they worked ok for practice and small gigs, but seriously, maybe save a little more or go used, but i would suggest against those two.
I have both of the amps that you mentioned in my garage right now, well a Spider 3 not 4. I'll give you them both if you buy me dinner?

On a serious note: If I had to pick between those two amps, I'd get a Peavey Vypyr.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by s12k17
valveking

If he can find one for cheap and then mod it, sure, but he is better off just saving a bit more and staying away from most of the spider series, and the hell that is the MG series
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I have the Line 6 Spider 75w and it's not that bad of an amp. I'm assuming that you want an electric for the built in effects and extras and such, so I would go for the Line 6.

It's got a looper that, although not very accessible (I have to start and stop it with my toe), is fixable by getting a pedal board. It's got around ten seconds of loop, and it's easy to overdub and modify. As far as the effects go, you will never hear every sound your amp has to offer because there are so many ways to customize every aspect of your tone and sound. The insane mode is great for shredding and power chords with lots of sharp overtones, while twang and clean give you nice acoustic sounds.

All in all, it's a great amp for the $300 or so you'll spend on it. Regardless of which amp you choose, I would still keep the tube amp. The lower the watts on a tube amp, the better the amp sounds when pushed beyond its comfort zone.
Last edited by Frogz at Sep 2, 2010,
beckys laney... pm beckyjc...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Frogz
I have the Line 6 Spider 75w and it's not that bad of an amp. I'm assuming that you want an electric for the built in effects and extras and such, so I would go for the Line 6.

It's got a looper that, although not very accessible (I have to start and stop it with my toe), is fixable by getting a pedal board. It's got around ten seconds of loop, and it's easy to overdub and modify. As far as the effects go, you will never hear every sound your amp has to offer because there are so many ways to customize every aspect of your tone and sound. The insane mode is great for shredding and power chords with lots of sharp overtones, while twang and clean give you nice acoustic sounds.

And now it's time to play the "Spot the man that hasn't developed an ear for tone" game.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks a lot guys , I read a lot more negative comments about these amps on several sites , How about the peavey vypyr 75 ?
Quote by mykillz
Thanks a lot guys , I read a lot more negative comments about these amps on several sites , How about the peavey vypyr 75 ?

I was looking around for an amp head for you but then I realised.. Do you already have a cab or is your current tube amp a combo?
My gear:

Ibanez S5470-TKS with a BKP Nailbomb Bridge, Cold Sweat Neck, Trillogy Suite Middle single coil
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Cube 60
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Guitar Rig 5
my current amp is a GLX MG-10 really crap , and just 4 simple effects , gain , bass , treble, volume.
spider valve series.
those are some hardcore shit.
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
TS is probably really confused right now and thinks we're all idiots

I'd stay away from the Spider or MG.

Depending on the genres you play, there are a number of amps we could suggest. Also, what is your budget?
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by mykillz
my current amp is a GLX MG-10 really crap , and just 4 simple effects , gain , bass , treble, volume.

Then that's not a tube amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by mykillz

I noticed you're from holland.. Maybe you should try go to Rockpalace and test out some stuff?:P I ordered my guitar from there and it seems like an AMAZING shop, makes me wish i lived in holland and not in belgium
My gear:

Ibanez S5470-TKS with a BKP Nailbomb Bridge, Cold Sweat Neck, Trillogy Suite Middle single coil
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Cube 60
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Guitar Rig 5
Quote by Gego
I noticed you're from holland.. Maybe you should try go to Rockpalace and test out some stuff?:P I ordered my guitar from there and it seems like an AMAZING shop, makes me wish i lived in holland and not in belgium

yeah I was thinking about doing that , I'll check it out soon ;D
Quote by mykillz
yeah I was thinking about doing that , I'll check it out soon ;D

One tip though, don't listen TOO much to the salesmen.. Often they give shit advice:p Not saying it always sucks but...
My gear:

Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Cube 60
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Guitar Rig 5