Hello all, I made a new song called Fall In Love (!). I would like constructive criticism, please.

It was an experiment in vocals, as I've grown in confidence a bit since last time.

http://crane.bandcamp.com/ It's in .Execute (folk) album. Feel free to listen to my electronic stuff if you want too.

Oh, and it's also on my myspace http://www.myspace.com/omegamachina

I recommend the bandcamp one, it's higher quality and you can download it, but it might be a bit slow for streaming.

Thanks for looking!

EDIT: I have electronic stuff in the album "Stellar" too that you might wanna look at.

I made a new song in Stellar called Neon Moon. Constructive crit please!
Last edited by Gerbos at Nov 16, 2010,
Fall in Love, huh? You seem to love your flying lotus!

Just kidding, I love his stuff just as much as you do. I actually get a great vibe from that track, kind of like the first Beirut album, just without the brass. You have created a very dark mood, and I like it that way. I also love the little atonal guitar work, very nicely constructed! Why didn´t you incooperate some Lo-Fi Drum work? Not really overpowering, but little hints at a groove? I am not really familiar with the genre Freak Folk actually, but I think some drums couldn´t hurt.

Heavy Eyes, on the other hand, sounds a bit more uplifting at first. Yup, the Beirut-y sound is still here. If you don´t know them, you should definitly check them out. Gulag Orkestar is maybe one of my favourite records from the last decade. Very nice producing, and here are the drums I was talking about earlier, good stuff! One thing that bothered me was the cutting in the 2 vocal-lines somewhere after that I think, sloppy job ? I love your subtle use of effects, not overpowering the whole record. Also, at first I thought your vocals were a little bit weak on both of these songs, but now they´ve grown on me, and they seem to fit into this kind of sound. I´d personally would add some more reverb to them to create a little bit of an eerie feel, but that´s just subjectivly.

I´ll actually download this record. Do you plan to add some songs to this, or is this it? If you´ll add some, then tell me when I can download the full version.

Greets!
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Thanks a lot for your comments, they're greatly appreciated.

Haha, I admit that I listen to a disproportionate amount of FlyLo compared to everything else, I posted this on ultimate guitar assuming no-one would know him. All my friends know that I just stole the song title.

I've never actually listened to Beirut. Oddly enough, one of my friends listened to my stuff and asked if I liked Beirut.

I'm glad you like the vocals, those are the only two times I have ever sung. And you totally picked up on my sloppy production, haha. I use this mediocre program called Mixpad. But when you were talknig about Ableton earlier, I realized that I could actually sample my own instruments, and make them less out-of-time.

On Fall in Love, there are actually very subtle drums at the chorus and in the middle of a couple of guitar licks. I was really afraid of them being too overpowering, so I made them small and non-influential.

I don't really know what freak folk is either, I just asked some people what genre of music I make. Also, while I take hip hop influences from FlyLo, I guess I get guitar music influences from Grizzly Bear, who make this apparent freak folk stuff.

I already reverbed my vocals! The reverb is quite strong, actually. I guess I could add even more though. The thing is, more reverb tends to produce a lot of gain on mixpad.

I'm always adding to the album, I don't know when it will ever get finished, to be honest. If I really push it, it could be in a couple of weeks, but I'd rather not rush things. I'm aiming to do eleven tracks, I think that is the magic number.

Again, thank you for your comments, I really appreciate them.
Couldn´t go without listening to some of your electronic tracks, too!

So sorry for the double post, but it´s necessary since that is great stuff. Metamorphosis/Coccoon has a very strong IDM feeling, kind of reminds me of Boards of Canada, just less Ambient. I love your minimalistic, nearly Lo-Fi kind of drums for this. Getting a bit of an exotic vibe with the LFO on the synth, if I´m right? I notice the subtle use of FX on here too, seems like you have a steady style. I like it. Suggestions would be some spoken words over it, maybe a poem or something, to get rid of the little bit of repetitiveness that is existent.

Fall in Love features a great start, and I seem to remember this song title vaguely. The string synth is very exotic sounding over the backing, I love the filter effect you used over this flittering thing that is in there! Also, great minimalistic use of the drums, as I said before, very unique and inspiring. Not overpowering, but instead flowing with the music. The strings do get a bit atonal at times, tho. Not that that´s a bad thing, but I think it may be hard for the normal listener to get into it at first. Very powerful outro, captures the moment exactly right! Great stuff!

Edit!:

Just saw your post! I guess I took some bad describing on what kind of reverb. My bad! I thought about some long decay times, and very bright sounding reverb, just like you´re in a cave. Think on reason on the advanced reverb vst, the SnareGate reverb or PercussionGate reverb, sorry I don´t remember those names exactly, but something in this style. Not very overpowering, but still some long decay.

Oops, I didn´t make out the drums on Fall in Love (Folk). I guess I´ll relisten to it now!
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts

almilano.bandcamp.com
Last edited by Madzää at Sep 2, 2010,
Thanks, I never made the link to Boards of Canada, actually. I can kinda hear what you mean.

Hah, I had this pretentious concept where I make two songs called "Fall in Love" but one is an electronic song and the other is a folk song. They sound nothing like eachother, the only link is the title. You could say that they're linked by interpretation of the phrase.

I tried to make Amon Tobin sounding drums but making them heavy and reverby, but then they got too loud, so I quietened them a bit.

I'm glad someone notices the drums on Metamorphose, it took me a very long time to get it sounding exactly how I wanted them to!

I barely know how to use Reason, I might load the wav into Ableton or something, and then get some Gil Scott-Heron over it or whatever.

Oh, they are supposed to be atonal, I like it sounding a bit glitchy, but I can see what you mean. I guess my audience is people who are used to listening to this sort of stuff.

The drums are very low key on Fall in Love, I imagined that most people would miss them the first time. They're subtle, I used them to add to the atmosphere rather than rhythm, I suppose.

Thanks for listening, I appreciate the critique!
Ah, I get the concept with the 2 Fall in Love´s now, actually a great idea if you think about it. After 2 or 3 listens now, I think I can hear parts of the drums now. You did a great job at detailing that one, cheers! I do not know about the program Mixcraft, I guess that it is some freeware. But I guess you can load Vst Effects into it, so it can´t be that bad. The key to a big sound seems to be a Brickwall Compressor, EQ Boost on 100hz and 2500hz and a Limiter in the end. Just kidding.

I kind of like the way these sound on there. Some extensive mastering could probably make it sound more plastic and less natural, so please go easy on there.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts

almilano.bandcamp.com
Yeah, Mixpad is a piece of software...I have no idea whether it's free or not, I just have it, haha. I don't know about loading Vst effects, it just has its own little selection.

Hah, I'm curious now, I'll try that big sound anyway.

I'm not very good at mastering and all that jazz, so I don't think making them too plastic will ever become a problem!
Ok, please message me when you´re done, I´d love to hear what that´d sound like.

Greets!

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts

almilano.bandcamp.com
the track has a really dark feeling to it....kinda reminds me of a lonely late night train trip....i think this song would really lend itself to a low pitched cello part.
Thanks for the crit dude!

I really wanted to check some of your electronic stuff, so I'll crit one of those first

Fall In Love:

Nice atmosphere created here, It has like a soundtrack vibe to me. I'm not sure I like the hi-hat though, I'd use a couple of different samples and mix it up a bit. Also, it seems a bit lacking in low end to me, but I haven't got my decent monitors set up atm, so if im wrong I apologise! Love the stuff that comes in around 2 minutes as well! Its really abstract in a nice way. One other issue, I feel that the strings don't flow amazingly well, but saying that, I love the sound.

Nice solid song here man, really strange in a good way.

Other Fall In Love (folk one!)

Again, the atmosphere you create is brilliant, you have a knack for getting the vibe. Its nice and dark, whilst still being quite strange. But I dunno, its almost as though you sound uncomfortable singing at points. Im not familiar with the genre at all, so I apologise, but the whole song feels really sparse, which I like, but maybe bring in some more instruments or ideas at different parts to introduce some variety? I think the low cello part suggested above is a brilliant idea.

sorry for the bad crit!

awesome stuff though!
Hey, I just came around to downloading both Albums! I´ve been very busy over the last few days, so sorry for not downloading it earlier! This is probably the 5th time I´m writing this post because my internet is crapping out on me, but Heavy Eyes has been on heavy repeat over the last few hours! Very nice music for cooking, I have to admit. Anyways, I´m expecting new stuff, don´t let me down !

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts

almilano.bandcamp.com
Thought I´d crit both of your new electronica songs in this thread, it deserves the bump!

On a first listen, a very different sound on "Enter: Don Juan". Executed very professionally, beautiful jazz samples, and well placed drums. What exactly did you use to get this kind of sound? I know you used a variety of things for the old ones, but this one strikes me as very different, yet great. I really like the litte background noise - very Boards of Canda-sy.

.Interlude continues in the same fashion, love the rising sounds of the synth and the relaxed space in the beat. Love the little gargling sounds throughout the song, definitely strikes me as pro-level stuff again. Very interresting. The choir early in the second half of the song varies things up a bit. Beautifully constructed! I´m throughoutly impressed!

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts

almilano.bandcamp.com
Sorry for the late reply - I often forget to check up on UG.

Thanks a lot for the crit! Yeah, I was trying something new on Don Juan. None of them are actually samples, I played them all through synths. And it took -a lot- of tweaking to make the sounds I wanted, I think one of them is even a bass guitar five octaves higher or something like that.

They're a bit short this time, since I figured that I'd rather leave a track short and memorable than long and stretched out.

I haven't have much time for making music since I started university, but I just uploaded a demo of one I've been working on lately. It's the first time I've used samples, which are vocals I plucked from youtube. Samples are very difficult to get working with on Reason, I need to procure Ableton from somewhere.

anyway, thanks for the crit, I really appreciate it!
I finished the last demo thing I made - I didn't know whether to make a new thread or not, but I didn't want to clutter the forum, so I thought I'd just update my old one.

It's in Stellar and it's called Neon Moon!