So here's the basics.

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Bugera 333XL
Marshall JCM 900

Style:
Surf, Psychadelic, Grunge, Hard Rock, Blues, Noise Rock

Been playing 9 years now, and have gigged that whole time on my beloved '99 MIA Stratocaster. I have, however, come to the conclusion that I need a second guitar that's not a Fender. I used to have an MIA Telecaster and Jaguar, but those were sold to get the Bugera and Marshall, respectively.

The problem I have with those is that they were all single coils. I need something with a really heavy 'bucker sound. I really enjoy the sound of a Les Paul, but have some reservations about getting one because I dislike how thick the neck is.

I want something with that really heavy, rock n' roll 'bucker les paul sound, but without the baseball bat neck. I dunno if Gibson made some limited runs on thinner necked versions somewhere? Help appreciated.

My price limit is $1,000 USD which INCLUDES SHIPPING.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Try to find a used Paul Reed Smith with a wide thin neck profile.

Among brand-new PRS guitars, the 25th Anniversary SE Custom would be a good option.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
As cool as I think PRS looks, I've never played one that I liked that wasn't $3,000 or so. I haven't played this specific SE, I've never been impressed with them in the past, but I can look around.

Any others?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by rooster456 at Sep 2, 2010,
Quote by rooster456
As cool as I think PRS looks, I've never played one that I liked that wasn't $3,000 or so.

I started by suggesting looking for a used one with the specific neck profile you want, didn't i?

Still, i believe the 25th Anniversary SE Custom is worth checking out. What have you got to lose?
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
You could try looking into some LTD guitars, specifically the LTD EC-401 or 1000. Most have EMG's but there are some models with passives if that's more your thing. I recently got an EC-1000 and think it is incredible! The neck is also pretty darn thin as well :-)

If you want a really thin neck try looking into some Ibanez RG models perhaps? Only problem is that most Ibanez's have trem's. In that budget for a new production model i'd try to snag an RG1421F (no trem and made in Japan).
Last edited by AkiraSpectrum at Sep 2, 2010,
please no one beat me up on this one , this is my honest opinion- i recommend a schecter Solo 6 Custom. its based roughly on an LP, but with a thinner neck. though you'd have to try a few out. schecter necks can be a hit or miss thing. check it out

oh and if you check the RG out, give the RGA line a look. a lot of them have fixed bridges, and the arched top is a plus
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
Last edited by distortion896 at Sep 2, 2010,