Hello fellow audio engineers.

I have been assigned a project to report on two different types of microphones. I'm to give things like polar pattern, frequency response curve, typical uses, etc. I have been assigned Shure's SM81 and Audio-Technica's AT4050.

In addition to the data that I must personally obtain, one interesting thing my professor said was to specifically go to forums and see how other people use these mics. Communication in the audio world is critical. So could you fine folks tell me if you've used these mics, your opinions on them, what you use them for, etc.

Thanks very much!
"Music Can Change The World Because It Can Change People..." - Bono

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING! SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION AHEAD!

Used the AT4050 as a room mic behind the drummer in a recording session to get a glimpse of what he would be hearing into the recording, it's quite a nice microphone for that and sounded very natural, however I thought for female vocals it was a bit muddy compared to something like the Sontronics Sigma (yes I know it's a ribbon, but seriously it's awesome at everything)
Also, if you guys could tell me your live uses vs. your studio uses with these mics, that would be great.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Live, I use 2x SM81's on a grand piano and 2 more as drum overheads.
In the studio, I use them for any acoustic instrument and as the drum overheads.
Quote by pdawson
Live, I use 2x SM81's on a grand piano and 2 more as drum overheads.
In the studio, I use them for any acoustic instrument and as the drum overheads.

Awesome. How do you feel they worked? Suited your purpose? Have any problems or anything you didn't like? And what was the size of the live venue you used them in?

i use an sm81 as a Hi-hat mic and on the neck of acoustic guitars in the studio, and I am pleased with the sound I get
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
www.facebook.com/fadeoutproductions
Quote by jtwylie
Awesome. How do you feel they worked? Suited your purpose? Have any problems or anything you didn't like? And what was the size of the live venue you used them in?

SM81's are more reliable than my car. There are some different LF settings on the mic itself, so it's really easy to dial in the sound you want. The built in attenuator should be a standard on every mic.. You can easily get these mics as hot as you want without any severe clipping or feedback problems. I wish I had a matched pair for the piano, but that's being too picky. Think about 1500+ people in an acoustically treated auditorium.
Awesome, thank you guys so much. You really helped me out with my report.