Ok, I'm a real beginner when it comes to Improv. Say i've got a backing track in A minor, then the notes of that scale will sound good, but is that the only scale that will sound good with the backing track? Am I only limited with those notes or what?
You are NEVER limited to anything.

I think once you get comfortable with the basic scale going up and down and around it, you should incorporate chord tones on the changes, so you can outline the harmony in your playing, it makes it sound like you aren't just tripping over a scale. At first it will be blatant, then you can make it more subtle as you get used to the idea.

All 12 notes are always available to you, but it takes time to assimilate their sounds in relation to the changes going on, and how to best utilize that in a way that pleases you. Once you can do the above , then very slowly you should begin to learn the out of scale notes. We can touch on that more when you get there because we'd just be getting ahead of ourselves...

So, try outlining the chords that go by. Report back!
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by nightwind

I think once you get comfortable with the basic scale going up and down and around it, you should incorporate chord tones on the changes, so you can outline the harmony in your playing, it makes it sound like you aren't just tripping over a scale. At first it will be blatant, then you can make it more subtle as you get used to the idea.

All 12 notes are always available to you, but it takes time to assimilate their sounds in relation to the changes going on, and how to best utilize that in a way that pleases you. Once you can do the above , then very slowly you should begin to learn the out of scale notes. We can touch on that more when you get there because we'd just be getting ahead of ourselves...

So, try outlining the chords that go by. Report back!

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't understand some of what your saying, I've highlight the bits in bold that I do not understand.

Edit: If this helps, I've noticed that some notes outside the scale sound good with the backing track. I can do lots of licks outside the scale that sound good, but I still don't really know why and what's happening with scales and stuff.
Last edited by Ubadood at Sep 2, 2010,
Quote by Ubadood
Ok, I'm a real beginner when it comes to Improv. Say i've got a backing track in A minor, then the notes of that scale will sound good, but is that the only scale that will sound good with the backing track? Am I only limited with those notes or what?

If I were your teacher... for now, I'd say yes. Work on those notes for a while until you have tried lots and lots of ideas and can move and transition smoothly using visualization, and a variety of double stops, and other articulations, and then branch forward. Take what you know and make it sound good, then start wondering what else is out there.

But to answer your question...no that isn't all that you can do.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Ubadood
Thanks for the quick reply. I don't understand some of what your saying, I've highlight the bits in bold that I do not understand.

Edit: If this helps, I've noticed that some notes outside the scale sound good with the backing track. I can do lots of licks outside the scale that sound good, but I still don't really know why and what's happening with scales and stuff.

What I mean by the changes...

Say you have

Am F G

What are the notes of each chord?

Am = A C E
F = F A C
G = G B D

So try and focus mostly on those notes when the chord changes to a new one so as to sort of announce its arrival. As you get comfortable with A minor, move it to different (all ) keys.

For now that is loaaaaaaads ! Because to do that you also have to learn the notes on your fretboard cold, as well as the basic triads of every chord.

You learn to improvise the way you learned to talk: first through imitation, then by increasing your vocabulary, and eventually you find your voice.

I would suggest putting on some of the Blues greats: BB King, Buddy Guy, Guitar Shorty...

Just play along. Figure out what they're doing.

Riffing with BB King is GREAT!! He's a freakin' genius. You'll think, "ah, that's basic, should be easy."

Then you try and play it.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by Bubonic Chronic
You learn to improvise the way you learned to talk: first through imitation, then by increasing your vocabulary, and eventually you find your voice.

I would suggest putting on some of the Blues greats: BB King, Buddy Guy, Guitar Shorty...

Just play along. Figure out what they're doing.

Riffing with BB King is GREAT!! He's a freakin' genius. You'll think, "ah, that's basic, should be easy."

Then you try and play it.

whooooooa you are still around !!!!

Quote by Ubadood

Quote by nightwind

Indeed, there are no mandatory limits. There are no rules saying going out of scale will sound bad. Limits are still usefull though, because it gives you something to work with, a few 'guidlines' where you cant really go wrong.

And it's a good idea to try to master inside the limits before you try to break out of them.. first learn to swim in the pool before you try the ocean, right?
Quote by ShadesOfGray
Indeed, there are no mandatory limits. There are no rules saying going out of scale will sound bad. Limits are still usefull though, because it gives you something to work with, a few 'guidlines' where you cant really go wrong.

And it's a good idea to try to master inside the limits before you try to break out of them.. first learn to swim in the pool before you try the ocean, right?

Of course!

I was hopefully illustrating that idea with the rest of my post..