I say kill em with fire.

That's what the bass is for. Rhythm
"Music is felt through our soul, not heard with our ears" - Sully Erna

Current Gear:
Ibanez SR755 5-string bass
Acoustic B10 amplifier
Line 6 POD UX1
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
bass doesnt have to take a rhythm approach. look at the way Rush plays bass. it has more of a lead esque feel to it.

rhythm guitar doesn't have to be playing basic chord structures that would be identical to a traditional bass line. thats for untalented bands with no musical ability. there needs to be a difference and discrepancy in the instruments. same goes with if the bass is only playing the root note of the rhythm guitar. thats boring and untalented.

there should be both for it to sound more full and musical. i think you're basing your opinion on pop or pop/punk bands with little musical ability...
Quote by LoweRider
I say kill em with fire.

That's what the bass is for. Rhythm

Yeah, we should get rid of drums too. Bass is for rhythm, not drums.

Because it totally works like that.
TS is an idiot.

Ok. You have a song with a solo in it. the lead (and only) guitar in the band plays rhythm until its time for solo. guitar plays solo with no rhythm guitarist. *depth of song is lost, and song sounds thin*. <---just leave that there; having a rhythm guitr is preferential for dynamics.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Lol @ the jelly bassist. Fancy some spotlight, bro?
Quote by diofan88
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Every band is a lotr metal band. Metal is like Guile's theme for Lotr.
Quote by mcjosh
Whoever thinks Japan deserved the tsunami in any way should just go away and fucking die alone.
"A bass should be something that you can walk on, and not have to worry whether there are going to be any holes there."- Keith Richards

"I don’t really know what to say about Bill(bass player), because he is, like, the perfect anchor between Charlie (drummer) and myself"- Keith Richards (pretty much a rhythm guitarist)

Those two quotes pretty much sum up how I feel about the relationship between bass and rhythm guitar.
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk
Quote by Banjocal
TS is an idiot.

Ok. You have a song with a solo in it. the lead (and only) guitar in the band plays rhythm until its time for solo. guitar plays solo with no rhythm guitarist. *depth of song is lost, and song sounds thin*. <---just leave that there; having a rhythm guitr is preferential for dynamics.

Quote by BeerBlood
Lol @ the jelly bassist. Fancy some spotlight, bro?

"Music is felt through our soul, not heard with our ears" - Sully Erna

Current Gear:
Ibanez SR755 5-string bass
Acoustic B10 amplifier
Line 6 POD UX1
Rhythm guitarists? I'm not opposed to them, but when it's me who's playing bass, I only want to have to put up with one guitarist, not two.

If it's just one guitarist who's technically a rhythm guitarist, and then some "lead" bass, that's fine. However, one guitarist strumming chords while one plays a melody, I find leaves you little room to play with the bass.

You tend to end up pushed into the backseat "you can feel me, but you can't hear me" roll. Which might suit some bass players, but it's not for me. I like to throw fills and runs about, but there's not a lot of point when you're stuffed behind a wall of distortion.

Just my opinion though, perhaps I'd be able to deal with it if it were two good, tight guitarists who played clean. I've yet to have this opportunity though. I don't think there's a need for a rhythm guitarist if your bass and lead guitar are good enough. My band manages fine, Rush manage fine, loads of bands do it.

It seems to me that the majority of the time the additional guitarist is used to compensate for something, be it on the behalf of the bassist or the other guitarist. Even then, I think keys are a much more interesting approach rather than just throwing another guitar in there. It just doesn't leave enough space.

Oh no, what a surprise. We totally had no idea.
Quote by diofan88
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by mcjosh
Whoever thinks Japan deserved the tsunami in any way should just go away and fucking die alone.
i was aware of trolling but i thought i may as well
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Rhythm guitarists are people too.

And like all people, I hate the excessively stupid, annoying, or arrogant ones. There's nothing wrong with them as long as they're not dicks.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
they are handy in metal and add to the overall feeling of some songs, you cant say theres a few songs that would feel a wee bit empty without em.

Altho i have seen NFG twice i sometimes dont see why they need 2 guitarists cept a few songs.But i wouldnt even change them for the world cause them,Four year strong and Cancer bats are my 3 live top picks.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
It's all in the band. Iron Maiden has 3 guitarists, and their bass is more prominent than in most other bands.
Quote by diofan88
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by mcjosh