So yeah, my strat's tremolo arm is at a weird angle (ie not perpendicular to the body). It makes it somewhat awkward to use the whammy bar and worst of all, since I don't use the bar too much, I can't rotate it one full turn because it hits the cable.

This guitar has been like this since about a week after I bought it. I remember a tiny black spring popping out, but for whatever reason, I kept putting fixing it off. So what can I do to fix it?

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53589372@N04/
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Tonebone Classic
Last edited by RhoadsLivesOn at Sep 2, 2010,
Open the back and check the tremolo holder on the other side of the base plate. You probably bended it. If you don't think you can repair it then best take it to a shop.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

^It screws into a steel block. I very much doubt youve bent it. Unless you're mr muscle.

Take the back off, the block is probably aligned funny. Tighten/loosen the springs to pull it straight.

Either than or youve bent the arm itself.
I think I agree with it being something with the block (although I can't see how). Just going by the pictures, the arm looks "up" when it's forward, and "down" when it's swung to the back. I think if the arm itself was bent, it would be up or down whichever position you put it in.

FWIW, when I have the arm screwed all the way in on my Strat, I can't swing it all the way around with the jack in either.

But the pics look odd.
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
Quote by Ratraisin
I think I agree with it being something with the block (although I can't see how). Just going by the pictures, the arm looks "up" when it's forward, and "down" when it's swung to the back. I think if the arm itself was bent, it would be up or down whichever position you put it in.

FWIW, when I have the arm screwed all the way in on my Strat, I can't swing it all the way around with the jack in either.

But the pics look odd.

Yup, that's pretty much it, when the arm is over the pickups, it is further away from the guitar than when it is not and this is why it hits the cable.

The reason I take this as in issue is that this (Highway 1) is my second strat and my first strat (MIM) never had these issues and I guess it would depend on the cable, but I just checked and the MIM bar can rotate freely when a cable is plugged in. The MIM's bridge is slightly raised, but it wouldn't be enough to change the angle of the bar this much and it has been flush with the body without the issue that is happening with my Hwy 1 happening.

here's what my MIM looks like:

The blocks looks like this:

(MIM)

(HWY 1)

Quote by beckyjc
Unless you're mr muscle.

Believe me, I am not.
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40