Hey pit!!!

Just wanted to soundboard an experience I'm having. I've been playing for close to 5 years now and have the proverbial "chops" built and have begun writing my own music.

I bumped into a 23-year-on-the-axe veteran and was blown away at how my play developed exponentially after about 3 jam sessions with my new mentor. I went from wondering how the hell he was doing things to trading solo's with the guy in no time flat. If your self taught like me and haven't got a chance to play with a vet KILL FOR IT.

So, anyone else got some cool mentor experiences to share? Rape stories not welcomed lol
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
I've experienced this with my guitar playing. I'm self taught and have spent the summer practising scales, improvising over songs and trying to write riffs and the like but it kept sounding same-y and I couldn't come up with new ideas. Today was my first day back at school and we jammed over a three chord progression and I felt as though I couldn't keep up, but after just 10 minutes of my music teacher giving me tips on how to come up with stuff I was quickly inspired and I felt as though I had learnt more in that short space of time than I have over the whole summer.

EDIT:
Quote by gizmodious
If your self taught like me and haven't got a chance to play with a vet KILL FOR IT.

I definitely agree with this. Self teaching is a very good way of discovering more about yourself as a musician and becoming more independent in your learning, but interaction with other musicians is a MUST, especially with more experienced players that you can learn a lot from
Spin round carousel
When your horse isn't screwed in

I II III VI:1 VI:2
Last edited by mullet1337 at Sep 2, 2010,
im developing chops and yes; a lesson/jam session really does help. because youre playing with someone, not a backing track; a person can give you tips and show you licks and progresions.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
What about reverse-mentors? People who are where you were at 3, 4, 5 years ago? They can be pretty inspiring too.
Quote by Mudmen190
What about reverse-mentors? People who are where you were at 3, 4, 5 years ago? They can be pretty inspiring too.

+1, makes you smile too.

+1 to all others as well, thanks for all the feedback guys.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200