Hi. I have decided I'm going to fit an EMG 81 active pickup in the bridge of my Aria Les Paul copy. The pickup comes with a solderless wiring kit. Is it easyto strip the old wiring out and fit this. I'm going from 2 pickups to 1 pickup as well and turning the neck pickup space into a battery compartment.
B.C. Rich Warlock
Marshall MG100HDFX
Randall RX-412
Boss MT-2
Well the difficulty of stripping the wiring out depends entirely on whether you want to use the wiring again or you're just going to get rid of it? If the latter then literally just unscrew everything and rip it out. If you want it to be useable after you've taken it out though then you'll have to de-solder all the wires attaching it to the guitar before taking it out. Also an LP style guitar should have plenty of room for both batteries in the electronics cavity.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I just put in an EMG81x and EMG85x into my Xiphos XP300FX. The solderless wasn't so solderless... I had to make custom cables because some of the cables provided weren't long enough. In addition, the TRS 1/4" socket on my guitar was different from the one they provided, so I had to solder the output/ground wire to mine rather than use their socket. They don't provide cables coming from the toggle switch, so if you want to completely avoid soldering, you'll have to cut the wire off your toggle switch with one end connected to your switch.
yeah its only solderless if you already have a switched wired up in your guitar stock. then you can cut the wires from that switch off (leaving them connected on the switch end of things) and insert them in the sockets on the EMG wiring...board...thingy..
Douglas Spad with EMG 81x's
Epiphone LP jr. with EMG 89 split coil, alot of upgrades
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
Quote by The Crig
Hi. I have decided I'm going to fit an EMG 81 active pickup in the bridge of my Aria Les Paul copy. The pickup comes with a solderless wiring kit. Is it easyto strip the old wiring out and fit this. I'm going from 2 pickups to 1 pickup as well and turning the neck pickup space into a battery compartment.

I really think you are creating a potentially frustrating situation if you lose the battery in the middle of a set.

Unless you are vigilant about tracking the hours of your battery life, or are always swapping batteries ahead of time.

I would recommend one of these....

It has a pop out door to make battery swapping very cooperative.