I have a junky guitar/amp setup. Its a 10 watt amp and a univox guitar. They aren't my favourites but all i could afford at the time. I have 500 bucks now, should i buy a new guitar or better amp? I can get a 300 dollar guitar and then buy a crappy amp or stay with the one i have. but if i buy a better guitar will it sound like crap through my amp?
If you have a crap amp and it sounds like crap, buying a more expensive guitar will not help it. It will always sound like crap. If the guitar is a decent player and is not impeding your playing ability, sink the money into an amp. $500 won't get you too far, but could get you a 50 watt tube amp, or maybe a slightly better used one. If the guitar is really bad and not all that playable, buy a new guitar. Same thing though, $500 doesn't get you all that much.
personally ima spend 1/5 of my budget on a nice little vox amp and then get an electric guitar with the rest.

but that's just me. other people may have different opinions on how to spend the money.

I mean if you're gonna be doing gigs, it's probably best to get a good amp, but if you're just practising in your bedroom, get a good guitar and a cheap but good amp. for example a cheap vox/orange/marshall amp.
Gear:

Squier Tele Custom ii (p90 version)

Orange Crush 10

Fender CD140S
get a nice tube amp, then upgrade your guitar when you can afford it. A good amp will make a bad guitar sound ok, but a bad amp just gives you a world of shit.
Quote by KG6_Steven
If you have a crap amp and it sounds like crap, buying a more expensive guitar will not help it. It will always sound like crap. If the guitar is a decent player and is not impeding your playing ability, sink the money into an amp. $500 won't get you too far, but could get you a 50 watt tube amp, or maybe a slightly better used one. If the guitar is really bad and not all that playable, buy a new guitar. Same thing though, $500 doesn't get you all that much.

Used is a really good idea. Although, TS, your guitar does indeed sound shitty, but if it's playable,go for an amp. Preferably an used one.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Right, split the money 300/200 and spend your money accordingly. You should be able to get a nice guitar (even better if used) and a decent (although solid state) amp for that money.

If you need any help choosing what gear, just ask
Gear:
- Ibanez RGR465M
- Ibanez S770FM
- PRS SE Custom
- Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
what genres will you be playing?
personally i would look at spending about $300 on a nice ibanez rg, and $200 on a peavey vypyr 30
For those on a budget, Craigslist is your friend. I got my Jackson DXMG on there for $110. Just have to find someone who really needs some cash.
Quote by britishsligean
what genres will you be playing?
personally i would look at spending about $300 on a nice ibanez rg, and $200 on a peavey vypyr 30

I'd have suggested the same thing, only maybe with a Vox Valvetronix instead depending on genre.
Gear:
- Ibanez RGR465M
- Ibanez S770FM
- PRS SE Custom
- Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
Okay so if i was to buy an amp and then maybe buy a used guitar if i have any money left what kind of amp is best? I dont mean what brands but what types of amps. And if someone could explain the difference between the types or give a link to a site that would be amazing! Thanks for all the help guys
Try looking at rondomusic.com. For $300 you can get a pretty nice guitar there. And for $200 you could get something like a Peavey Vypyr 30.
Quote by pcline25
For those on a budget, Craigslist is your friend. I got my Jackson DXMG on there for $110. Just have to find someone who really needs some cash.

Craigslist is my friend whether on a budget or not. I bought a epiphone les paul custom, with hard case, 2 long cords, picks, 2 packs of D'Addario strings, and the les paul had to seymour duncans in it. All for $150. \

I also suggest looking on craigslist.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)