Hey,

So I realise this is a relatively new amp, as it's in the UK for early September, but I was wondering if anyone could find any bad points for the Thunder 30?

From what I can tell it's exactly what I need.

7 watts for bedroom, 15 for practise, and 30 for gigs?

2 channels, so I can use my Big Muff on the clean channel if I want.

And I watched a demo on YouTube, the gain went from blues to classic rock to modern to metal. Maybe not amazingly in each catorgory, but it seemed good enough for me.

So, has anyone had any expirience with these? I know, there's a high chance no one will have yet. I'm looking to go down to a big store sometime soon where I can try one out, but all the info would be handy.
7 watts, while manageable, is still loud as hell for bedroom use. But if you're going to be using it as a gigging amp mroe often, then don't worry about it.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
7 watts, while manageable, is still loud as hell for bedroom use. But if you're going to be using it as a gigging amp mroe often, then don't worry about it.

to hell man with ur 7 watts theory. I use my 15W in my bedroom. Yes loud, but that's manageable.
Quote by Jhachey22

Once again, depends on the player.

My "bedroom use" is my JCA20H with the volume halfway up
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by TheQuailman
You're a classic rock/metal kind of guy, aren't you? Seems like a good amp for that.

Sure am!

I like my blues too, but I never play the Muddy Waters type stuff, mainly Clapton and Hendrix, so I think it'd be okay.
My bedroom use on my Single Recto is with the volume half way up

Seriously though, I see no reason not to get one.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Quote by DeadlySurfer
Sure am!

I like my blues too, but I never play the Muddy Waters type stuff, mainly Clapton and Hendrix, so I think it'd be okay.

Should be alright for Hendrix and early Clapton. I mean it won't be spot-on, but it'll sound good for that music.

And the cleans on it aren't bad, either.

Make sure to try one out before buying, or if you can't, then buy at a store with a good return-policy.

EDIT: There's people who use 100w amps in their bedrooms. The Rocker 30 I tried sounded nice at low volumes, so no problems there.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 2, 2010,
Two reasons that are keeping me from wanting one:

1- Unnecessary extra gain stage on top of their other amps.
2- Lack of full TMB control.

Personally I'm looking to get a Rockerverb or Thunderverb.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Once again, depends on the player.

My "bedroom use" is my JCA20H with the volume halfway up

i define "bedroom amp" as you can play it in your bedroom ay most levels without pissing off the rest of your house.

I was always getting my ass yelled at for cranking my champ
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by TheQuailman
Should be alright for Hendrix and early Clapton. I mean it won't be spot-on, but it'll sound good for that music.

And the cleans on it aren't bad, either.

Make sure to try one out before buying, or if you can't, then buy at a store with a good return-policy.

EDIT: There's people who use 100w amps in their bedrooms. The Rocker 30 I tried sounded nice at low volumes, so no problems there.

Yeah, I know it won't be perfect, but I'm just wanting it t sound decent enough and find my own tone in the process. I'm going to try out a few amps next week, so hopefully Ill find out then.

Seref, I'm not too sure what you mean, I imagine I'm not too bright, but can you explain?

And yeah, if you can spot me £400 so I can buy a cab too, I'll get a Rockerverb or Thunderverb

Edit: Treble Mid Bass, got it! Yeah, it put me off too. I plan to try it out as I've said, so if I can work it easy and make it sound good, I say hell to the standard layout
Last edited by DeadlySurfer at Sep 2, 2010,
My bedroom amp is my DSL... needless to say it only goes above 1 about once a week or so

But to the point, Id go for it. Itll suit your needs great, plus its sexy!
Quote by DeadlySurfer
Seref, I'm not too sure what you mean, I imagine I'm not too bright, but can you explain?

Basically,

1) It's got more gain than Thunderverb which is already pretty gainy to begin with. Many believe that the extra gain stage of the Thunder 30 is just Orange trying to win over the br00talz players so it likely might have a more modern voicing as well, which to me at least is a negative.

2) It's got no Mid control. Just Treble and Bass. I do a little bit of recording and full Treble-Middle-Bass controls are a must for me for when I'm dialing in.

Those are just my reasons against the Thunder 30. It might be great for you, but those are my reasons.
Last edited by Seref at Sep 2, 2010,
Quote by Seref
Basically,

1) It's got more gain than Rockerverb which is already pretty gainy to begin with. Many believe that the extra gain stage of the Thunder 30 is just Orange trying to win over the br00talz players so it likely might have a more modern voicing as well, which to me at least is a negative.

2) It's got no Mid control. Just Treble and Bass. I do a little bit of recording and full Treble-Middle-Bass controls are a must for me for when I'm dialing in.

Those are just my reasons against the Thunder 30. It might be great for you, but those are my reasons.

Ok, that's fair enough.

When I get to try one out I'll try to see if I agree with you. I don't really want more modern voicing either, but the extra gain is handy for me. My band does a bit of Crue and the likes, so I want to be able to push it when needed.

Thanks for the explination and everything. This thread was really to make sure there were no huge mashups with it, I'll try it out and if all goes well have a new amp
Quote by Seref

If it really came down to it, you could throw an EQ in the loop. Which would usually be the preferable option when recording anyway.
I barely own any pedals I'm a very guitar -> amp kind of guy.

I don't understand why any amp manufacturer would ever omit a mid control. A guitar is a mid-range instrument, the mid control is very influential on your tone.
Because you don't need mids. Treble, bass, and gain on 10 = best toanz.

For serious though, I agree with you. It's just odd that you would have a treble and bass and no mids.
Quote by ChrisBW
Because you don't need mids. Treble, bass, and gain on 10 = best toanz.

For serious though, I agree with you. It's just odd that you would have a treble and bass and no mids.

yes, quite odd.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Sep 2, 2010,
The first two images don't show for me, but I think I get your point

Edit : Just as I say that they show, damn you world.
Quote by Jhachey22
i define "bedroom amp" as you can play it in your bedroom ay most levels without pissing off the rest of your house.

Sure, that makes sense... but I can do that with my JCA at halfway
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Just because there are good amps with no mid control doesn't make it any less odd to me.
It's an Orange. It will have gobs of mids and it's supposed to sound middy even if the mid control is all the way down. The lack of mid control means very little.

Anyway, I bet it's a cool amp. I loved my Rocker, just wished the cleans were better.
They compensate the "no-mid" knob into the bass knob. The more you crank the bass the less "middy" it is. Less bass = more mids. You would think to yourself, Why wouldnt they just put a damn mid knob on there? But Orange has mastered this way of projecting tone to a perfect science. Its almost impossible not to get a good sound.
- Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
- Fender USA Strat
- Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
- Orange PPC-212OB Cab
- Marshall JTM600 Head
- Marshall JTM410 Cab
Quote by annostyle
They compensate the "no-mid" knob into the bass knob. The more you crank the bass the less "middy" it is. Less bass = more mids. You would think to yourself, Why wouldnt they just put a damn mid knob on there? But Orange has mastered this way of projecting tone to a perfect science. Its almost impossible not to get a good sound.

Yeah that's what I find too, especially with the Thunderverb, that it's impossible to dial in a BAD tone. Everything just sounds great.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000