Hi everyone, i'm going to be going in my schools jazz band so i need some help. I have 2 amps, a Vox Ad30Vt solid state (i heard solid state is good for jazz but who knows) and a marshall class 5. The marshall is like a mini plexi so i dunno how well that would work for jazz anyway, i just want to know which would be better for jazz. if you need any more information feel free to post.

thanks
I also need to know this.

Well, I'm in the exact same class

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
Liam, did you have a really long shower or are you just pissing me off?

I can't imagine the jazz drummers being overly obnoxious, either. It's jazz.

I write songs.
none
Jazz is all in ya fingers. But really, try both and see what sounds better to your ears.
I really liked the cleans on the Class 5 the few times that I've tried it. I'd go with that one. Either one will probably be loud enough (while clean) since I don't think you'll be fighting most jazz drummers for volume.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
id say that the vox would do alright but honestly if your serious about jazzband you might wanna look at getting a box.
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Quote by Skagasm
id say that the vox would do alright but honestly if your serious about jazzband you might wanna look at getting a box.

A box?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Skagasm

What's a box?
Quote by Avedas
What's a box?

I'm assuming one of these. it's called a jazz box

Ah, I knew that term. Still confused as to how it's related to the OP....

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

If you already own both amps and know how both sound, why are you going on the internet asking other people?
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
im was saying that the vox will prob do better but if he is serious about jazz band and jazz music he should look into getting a hollowbody
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

Both of us are just going into grade 9 jazz band, keep that in mind

I write songs.
none
i never said you did! i said if he is serious about playing jazz he should look at a hollow body!
roland AC90

Quote by Skagasm
i never said you did! i said if he is serious about playing jazz he should look at a hollow body!

Well his current guitar is an LP... and you know... Les Paul was a jazz player...
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
I play jazz on my Parker just fine. I feel no need to get a hollowbody.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by forsaknazrael
Let it be known I did alright in my community college jazz ensemble using an SG and a Marshall JMP.

Now that's awesome.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Use the tube amp.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
I've been playing in my school's jazz band (grade 12 now) with a Jackson Dinky 2 and a Mesa F-30. There really is no need for a hollow body.
SS amps are adequate for Jazz but I'd hardly say they are better. At the top end for example, I'd use a Fender Twin over a JC120 any day - but the JC will work perfectly well.
I'd probably go for the Class 5 if those were my two choices but it aint going to compete with a Fender Twin.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification