Page 1 of 3
Ok,so here it is.I've been saving all my pennies and dollars and have enough to buy a bad ass amp.I want a combo (just because thats what I want) and i'm looking at 3 different amp's.
Mesa Roadster 2x12
mesa Road King 2x12
Marshall JVM 410c 2x12

I like to play blues/rock,old school metal SRV/ZZ Top/Alice in chains/Black Sabbath/Joe Bonamassa/Green Day and well alot of every thing really.The only one of these amps i've had the pleasure of trying is the roadster.But how much can you really get to know about an amp from a few little sessions at GC.Youtube is a terrible place to get an idea of tone as most videos are un mic'd and even if they are the amps still get no justice.Most certainly i'm going to find an amp and play it before I buy it but like I said you really dont get to know the amp till you bring it home.That being said what i'm looking for here is for any opinions from people with experience with these amps.From what i've read the Road King is the best of the best from crystal clean too all out fuzz and grind.Unfortunately nobody stocks them.I think there special order.So any words of wisdom,opinions and experience would be greatly appreciated.

............................................Thank You!!

-----------------------------P.S

I'm not gigging yet.I just want an awsome sounding amp for what I play and when i'm ready to play out and record i'll have the equipment to do so.I've invested 18yrs into my playing so far and I just think it's time for some really nice gear instead of what I have now. + i'm trying to find my sound ya know.
Last edited by The Writ at Sep 2, 2010,
Well, those would all be good amps for just about anything. I personally lean towards the Road King, as they sound absolutely great, and can pull of a lot of different styles. As always, I would recommend going out and trying all three, or more if you can, that way you can judge for yourself and figure out what's best for you. Especially if you're trying to find your own unique sound. You may even find other amps that you like more.
I can speak for the Road King being badass. It can pretty much do any tone you want. Just one thing, due to it being a Recto, I find that for fast solo's, it can be hard to get a good tone. You'll for sure need to boost it with an OD of some sort. Other then that, I have no complaints.

I will also suggest checking the Mesa Mark V out.
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
You really can't go wrong with the Roadster or Road King. Both amps cover A LOT of ground and do it all very well, rather than just being ok in each area. I'd highly suggest picking up an OD to throw in front of it, not for gain, but tightening that low end. Both amps have a lot of options. EQ'ing once and switching back and forth between modes isn't going to cut it. You'll need to spend a good amount of time tweaking whichever mode fits your needs.
Dude get a Marshall. And as long as you're getting a Marshall get a 4x12 cab and an amp head.
Quote by malmsteensolo
Dude get a Marshall. And as long as you're getting a Marshall get a 4x12 cab and an amp head.

Yeah d00d. Evry1 nowz Marchulls r teh bestests amps in teh wrld!
Quote by malmsteensolo

lol.

The Road King is phenomenal, as is the Roadster.

I've heard great things about the JVM, never played one myself though.

If you can at least try out all the amps, or get a hold of some quality clips, try to do that before you buy. But no matter what you get, you're getting an amazing amp.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
I'm gonna say Road King. I played one once and I thought it was a brilliant amp.

The thing about the Marshall is that... You listed a bunch of bands and artists that very well may have used Marshalls, but even if they did, they were older Marshalls. And the JVM is very dissimilar from an older Marshall.
If you're buying a Mesa or Marshall combo, buy a used Tremoverb. Way more amp (in terms of good sound) than anything listed. Not as many switches, but all the switches in the world don't matter if it doesn't sound good.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
in the same price range used you can try to check out a bogner shiva. its a completely awesome amp that will give you great cleans and a little bit of AIC goodness. For more that AIC you would need a boost
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by Even Bigger D
If you're buying a Mesa or Marshall combo, buy a used Tremoverb. Way more amp (in terms of good sound) than anything listed. Not as many switches, but all the switches in the world don't matter if it doesn't sound good.

Except that the Roadster and Roaking DO sound good, and most people prefer them over the Tremoverb. Roadking has Lonestar cleans, plus 2 more channels.

Regardless of switches, the Roadster/Roadking is "way more amp".
Quote by Guitarmiester
You really can't go wrong with the Roadster or Road King. Both amps cover A LOT of ground and do it all very well, rather than just being ok in each area. I'd highly suggest picking up an OD to throw in front of it, not for gain, but tightening that low end. Both amps have a lot of options. EQ'ing once and switching back and forth between modes isn't going to cut it. You'll need to spend a good amount of time tweaking whichever mode fits your needs.

I have a TS808HW.Is that kinda what your talking about?
Ok.I know I wanted a combo but I just came across a Road King head that looks mint for $1750 O.B.O. I think i'm gonna go check that out before I shell out 2-3K+.
Quote by The Writ
I have a TS808HW.Is that kinda what your talking about?

That'll do just fine. Any OD or distortion can be used as a boost and/or tighten things up. With your tubescreamer, set the drive to minimum, level around 2-3 o'clock, and tone at 12 o'clock. Use that as your starting point. Try to keep the drive close to minimum, you really don't need to be adding in more gain/noise.
Quote by Guitarmiester
That'll do just fine. Any OD or distortion can be used as a boost and/or tighten things up. With your tubescreamer, set the drive to minimum, level around 2-3 o'clock, and tone at 12 o'clock. Use that as your starting point. Try to keep the drive close to minimum, you really don't need to be adding in more gain/noise.

Thanks for the info.I'm definitely going to give that a try.Now all I have to do is go and buy my dream amp.
I think the JVM would do a better job for those sort of bands. But it all comes down to what voicings you prefer. The JVM is a british voiced amp, but it also sounds very american and is suitable for most metal/rock. I do think that the roadster is more versatile, however. So it all comes down to whether you're into the low end chug of a mesa, or crunch of a marshall.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
I don't care for the JVM and in your budget range you can get a much better amp. Let us know how you like that Road King. I think that would be the shiznit. If you end up truely liking the strait up hot-rodded Marshall tone better then I suggest looking into the Marshall JCM800 2555 Slash Sig, Splawn, Titan, Peters, and the Eganter Renegade.

Also, get MatrixClaw's attention he has a lot of experience with these amps.
Out of those 3 amps, I'd choose the Mesas for any situation, I just don't like the JVM at all.

However, in this case, I think a Marshall-voiced amp is the only one that's really going to cover those tones faithfully. Almost all those bands are more of a Marshall type sound (and most others in their genres/time period/etc). I don't think you could go wrong with either of the amps, but I don't think that any of them are really what you want.

I think you'd be better off with something like a Splawn Streetrod combo, or Bogner Shiva combo, more of a classic Marshall feel with a modern touch.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by SOADriff
I think the JVM would do a better job for those sort of bands. But it all comes down to what voicings you prefer. The JVM is a british voiced amp, but it also sounds very american and is suitable for most metal/rock. I do think that the roadster is more versatile, however. So it all comes down to whether you're into the low end chug of a mesa, or crunch of a marshall.

The truth is I wish I could have bolth.(HA HAAaa) The only problem i'm having is tracking them down to try them out.And of course I want a do all amp.I find myself lately playing alot more bluesy type stuff and getting into r&b funk but I dont want to give up too much on the metal side of the amp.I know i'm all over the place and i'm starting to think a really good 2X12 cab with a couple different heads is the way to go.For the $3000 or so I have to spend I might be able to pull some good used gear.But the problem with buying used gear is I really dont no what i'm looking at.Sure its a JCM 800 and it turns on and works but is there a hiden problem.Ya know? What to do,what to do.
Quote by burritosaregood
Although I don't like the JVM...I will just always hate Mesa.

...until you actually play one.
I'd go with the Road King.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by Guitarmiester

Not everyone likes Mesas. I am not a fan of the midrange on the Mesas. In order to get the ones I played with to cut through the mix I had to crank the mids almost all the way up which results in a very nasty sounding tone, at least to my ears.

Plus they sound a bit "dry" to me, I was never satisfied with the tone unless I put effects through the amp to juice it up a bit.

But I can see how people like them, I just prefer a more raw, less compressed sound.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Not everyone likes Mesas. I am not a fan of the midrange on the Mesas. In order to get the ones I played with to cut through the mix I had to crank the mids almost all the way up which results in a very nasty sounding tone, at least to my ears.

Plus they sound a bit "dry" to me, I was never satisfied with the tone unless I put effects through the amp to juice it up a bit.

But I can see how people like them, I just prefer a more raw, less compressed sound.

You've obviously never played a 2 channel recto or a Mark then.

The Recto is as raw as it gets. Mark has crazy amounts of mids, cuts through a mix like a beast.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Guitarmiester

I can sort of disagree with that. I've played a lot of Mesas and never really liked any of them. I don't hate them, but none of the ones I tried enticed me to keep playing. Of the 5:50, Stiletto Ace, Dual Rec, Road King, and LoneStar, the only one that even interested me a little was the Road King.

Guess it's worth saying that I'm not into modern high-gain at all. That probably affected my perceptions.
Last edited by Seref at Sep 5, 2010,
Quote by Seref
I can sort of disagree with that. I've played a lot of Mesas and never really liked any of them. I don't hate them, but none of the ones I tried enticed me to keep playing. Of the 5:50, Stiletto Ace, Dual Rec, Road King, and LoneStar, the only one that even interested me a little was the Road King.

That's understandable, but most people who love Mesa, love the old 2 channel Rectos and the Mark series. The 5:50 is a bad amp as far as I'm concerned, the Stiletto is an acquired taste, the 3 channel Rectos are gross and the Lonestar is a nice amp, but is Mesa's only real "low gain" amp, at least as advertised.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
You've obviously never played a 2 channel recto or a Mark then.

The Recto is as raw as it gets. Mark has crazy amounts of mids, cuts through a mix like a beast.

I think we are meaning two different things by raw. I mean a more organic, less processed sound. Take this for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSfKRmLj17I

Sure the mesa sounds a thousand times better for that kind of music, but the Dr Z sounds a lot less compressed and more open. It just makes the mesa sound bottled up and artificial. But I guess that is the price to pay for more gain and bottom end.

But its all a matter of taste
Quote by patriotplayer90

I know everyone has their preferences, but too many people bash Mesa solely on misconceptions they read and regurgitate online. That's especially true for Recto's. With that being said, I have nothing against guys like you that have played the gear they're talking about and it didn't fit their style/needs. What are you playing to have to crank the mids that high? On my Recto, I typically have the mids around 11-12 o'clock and have no problem cutting through the mix. Mesa's aren't plug and play. Each EQ works off each other, so you really need to spend some time tweaking.

Mesa's are fairly compressed, but with the output cranked to at least 9 o'clock they really open up. The dry thing is really just the voicing of the amps. An OD in front does more for Mesa's than most other amps I've used.

Quote by Seref

Guess it's worth saying that I'm not into modern high-gain at all. That probably affected my perceptions.

There's nothing wrong with that. Just like I said before, it's a whole different story to have experience with gear and not like it because it doesn't suit your style/needs. The 5:50, Stiletto, and Lonestar aren't really modern high gain amps. I was never a big fan of the F or Express series amps. They are a bit more on the modern side, but not very focused or articulate amps. The Stiletto is more of a low to mid-gain, vintage voiced amp. I find the Stiletto's to handle the mid-gain crunch sound better than the majority of Marshall's I've played. The Lonestar has its sought-after clean channel and creamy leads.

At the end of the day, it always comes down to the user's perception. People can play what they want to play. If it's a Crate, Bugera, Line6, etc. that does the trick, then more power to you.
for you i think the marshall would be better.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by fbeckinsale
I can speak for the Road King being badass. It can pretty much do any tone you want. Just one thing, due to it being a Recto, I find that for fast solo's, it can be hard to get a good tone. You'll for sure need to boost it with an OD of some sort. Other then that, I have no complaints.

I will also suggest checking the Mesa Mark V out.

+1 for Mark V. Also try seeing if you can find a used Mark IV combo. The Road King is a hell of a amp too, but the GEQ is a really nice feature if you're experimenting with tones.
Quote by Tallica9000
+1 for Mark V. Also try seeing if you can find a used Mark IV combo. The Road King is a hell of a amp too, but the GEQ is a really nice feature if you're experimenting with tones.

Wow.A lot of people are really devoted to that Mark V.In truth it never once even entered my mind to consider that amp.But after hearing so much about them I guess i'm going have to check one of those out before I buy anything. Ya know I would have probably just bought the Marshall on namesake alone.I mean I know for sure that Marshall's flagship amp is going to be absolutely awsome.But the thing I like about Mesa is the power selection(50-100) with the roadster and th Road King with (30-120) and the Progressive Linkage.I'm not an advanced guitar player (yet) but I want to cover a lot of ground with on amp and truely it's going to come down to the flip of a coin.I'm never going to be able to do a side by side.And no matter how many exploratory trips to GC to play at low levels I wont get the true tone of the amp till I get it home.
personally you will either like or hate the Mark V, i thought id love it but honestly its only good for stuff thats clean to mid gain IMO. It does do that very well tho so if thats what you want id look into that

apart from that i'd take the Road King over the JVM, its so much more of an amp and is a lot better in general. the roadster is good but if you can afford the Road King it is the best way to go
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by shredftw
personally you will either like or hate the Mark V, i thought id love it but honestly its only good for stuff thats clean to mid gain IMO. It does do that very well tho so if thats what you want id look into that

apart from that i'd take the Road King over the JVM, its so much more of an amp and is a lot better in general. the roadster is good but if you can afford the Road King it is the best way to go

Yea,the only one i've been able to play with a little so far is the roadster.Nobody stocks tha JVM.And if I were to get the Road King in a combo i'm pretty sure I would have to special order that piece.I guess I should have been looking a long time ago.But I never thought I would be able to save that much for an amp so I never looked.And I figured if I did get the money together I would just go out and buy a bad ass amp and that would be it.But now I find myself on the fence.Its alot of money to through out there and I wanna make sure I buy the right one cuz this is it.After this its going to be a long long while before I even think about buying something else.
Honestly, i've played both, the Jvm was rather lacking for me, however i've heard if you really finely tweak it and spend hours fine tuning the knobs, it can sound pretty terrific, and there are some vids and clips around which prove this.. However the Mesa's are pretty easy to get a good sound out of straight away. and are just beasts anyway.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by cliff_em_all
Honestly, i've played both, the Jvm was rather lacking for me, however i've heard if you really finely tweak it and spend hours fine tuning the knobs, it can sound pretty terrific, and there are some vids and clips around which prove this.. However the Mesa's are pretty easy to get a good sound out of straight away. and are just beasts anyway.

Ya know,I guess the biggest question I have is how well does the Road King do Blues.I know i'll have no problem getting my Metal fix on.But I really am a huge fan of SRV/Albert Collins/Joe Bonamassa etc.Those are the tones that come first for me.And really clean,full rhythms. I've read that the Mesa will span just about any genre but will it really?
Quote by drewfromutah
It's so obvious when people bash amps that they've never even played. The three channel rectos are fine amps.

Since I'm the only person that has bashed the 3 channel Recto in this thread that I can see... I have owned one, played them countless times, and everytime I've came to the same conclusion, the two 2 channels I had before were on a whole different league. The 3 channels are alright, but they're sludgy and loose, with a boost it gets better, but I just disliked the sound of it overall.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
People questioning MatrixClaw...

This won't end well.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Page 1 of 3