Nothing came when searchbarred.

I can't help but notice after reading that the Foo Fighters are recording their new album on tape, not on computer, that I've heard a lot of talk about bands/music taking a step backwards. Not in a bad way, of course, just in how things are being done. First, you have that. Green Day is doing their new album "like they used to," apparently a LOT of it by jam session. They just played a new song** in Denver and it sounds like their old songs. You have bands like Stone Temple Pilots and Alice in Chains putting out new albums and appearing strong, Soundgarden... uh... well, doing whatever it is they're going to do. At least they're on the charts again.

It seems to be like this is something that a lot of people here would be ecstatic about, especially '90s lovers such as myself. People are starting to take more notice of the pop machine [even though I myself listen to Lady GaGa] and not buy it. Yes, there's Bieber Fever in every 14 year old girl's pants right now, but there seem to be an increasing amount of people who are going down the rock path.

Is this exciting the HELL out of anyone else? 'Cause I'm starting to get really optimistic looking at this new decade as far as music, or at the very least, rock, goes.

** Technically not a NEW new song, as "Cigarettes and Valentines" was the album they were to put out before American Idiot, but the tapes were stolen, and this is definitely based on those sessions. Some of you probably knew, I'm sure, but for those who didn't...
Bands revisiting their past is nothing new, and it doesn't happen a lot that there's good stuff coming from it.
A lot of people like using analogue. It's just harder to find studios for it.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Its awesome. Some of the overproduced pop these days is just rubbish. I want to hear the raw energy and dynamics of a record.
Cigarettes and Valentines song to those who haven,t heard it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KtTyc-joRE

Thanks TS, I didn,t know they played it. Sounds pretty sweet
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Well, I like STP and Soundgarden. I hate Foo Fighters and Green Day. Out of those bands, I'm not too excited really. I'm actually more optimistic about the Progressive Rock scene, like I've always been. However, it is good that people are starting to say stuff like Lady Gaga is shit. Now, if we can only get rid of those damn rappers. (Rap is NOT music; it is an art form, albeit a very shitty one, imho).
Quote by red157
I don't understand, what backwards revolution?

Bands are making albums. Oh.

I just meant that bands seem to be revisiting or taking pieces from either like... the way things used to be, or how they used to do things.

Except Linkin Park. They just keep wandering blindly.
I think they're getting over the hump that came with the evolution of digital music over the past decade. Technology such as Pro Tools, Autotune, Reason, as well as distribution of music through the internet have all had their impact on the music industry, because they are relatively new.
Now, musicians have come to accept these innovations and consider them tools for creating music, on par with everything they used before. Their focus is now to create music in the best possible way, rather than try to incorporate new technology whereever possible.

And it'll continue like that until the next major innovation.

That's just my opinion.
I'd prefer if they didn't. I'm glad Soundgarden got back together, because that band still seems to have integrity. But, if they pull an AIC, in which it is abundantly clear that they're taking advantage of the neo-grunge, white trash rock that is terrorizing the radio, and obviously influenced by it.. I will not be happy. But if they're writing songs like they've had no artistic growth, I will also be upset.

I have faith in Soundgarden, though. I just hope Chris is writing the music again.

As much static as people love to give Green Day, I prefer their new music to their old music. They obviously put a lot more effort into it.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
A lot of Indie has been going more and more old-school for quite a few years now. Figures that everyone else is now following suit.

R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Old bands making new albums? This is a new idea!

Everything goes in cycles, or so it is said.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
I don't mind digital production, like all production methods, it just needs to be done well.

and this is not a new trend, many bands still use tape when recording, just not many big bands,
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Doesn't it seem counter-progressive for these band to consciously try to emulate and repackage their older music instead of writing what comes naturally?
Quote by RU Experienced?
Doesn't it seem counter-progressive for these band to consciously try to emulate and repackage their older music instead of writing what comes naturally?

Indeed.

Trying to recapture past glory and failing miserably?

It's sort of cool, and exciting I guess. I think the 2010s are a decade to look forward to. Don't get me wrong, I like the 2000s, but I am excited to see where music is heading to next. Huge changes are in every decade.
Quote by RU Experienced?

My point, exactly.
Well, more people in music are trying to get away from the overproduced thing that's really taken off in the last 10 years, it looks like the loudness war is soon to be over.

A lot of people prefer to use tape, it's just studios often don't bother with it, back in the day the studio techs and the mixer were basically scientists who knew everything about the mics they had and the gear they used and what to do, it's nothing like that now because the industry likes to cut corners to save money.

The music industry is dying though which is good because it means more and more bands are going to indie labels , as Albini said about this 'the labels that are gonna really last for a long time in the future will be the ones who help the bands'.
The only thing to me that's showing that music is looking better is the amount of awesome records that have been released this year (and during the later half of last year). (Though, I don't think the state of music was really ever looking "bad" in the first place.)

Though, going back to analogue would be awesome. I've always liked it more then digital.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Sep 2, 2010,
Quote by RU Experienced?

I think it depends. If you completely recreate it, yes, that may seem so. But you can never 100% recreate it, and most bands know that. So instead, they may just take some aspects that they used to have and use them again. And if they decide to do that, didn't it come naturally in the first place?

Just because they hark back to old days doesn't mean it's not a natural progression. If they want to do it, they want to do it.
I've been hoping for this for a long time. I'm 16, but the '00s were honestly my LEAST favorite musical decade, even compared to the '80s, which I hate. I like pretty much everything that the Foo Fighters have done, so I'm sure I'll love their new stuff, Soundgarden and Rage seem to be making their own respective comebacks, this is stacking up to be a good run of music. Also, I will say that even though I like Green Day's new stuff (I've grown to re-appreciate American Idiot lately) I'll be glad to hear them go back to their roots. Basically, I really hope this decade's music lives up to the expectations
Revolutions don't come, they tend to just suddenly be there and fuck everything up.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by red157
Indeed.

Trying to recapture past glory and failing miserably?

Really? Because if I'm getting what Rivers has been doing, he's not trying to make Weezer like they were in the past. That would explain why they keep making changes on each album.

Not to mention the Red Album was awesome, minus a couple of songs.
Quote by daytripper75
Really? Because if I'm getting what Rivers has been doing, he's not trying to make Weezer like they were in the past. That would explain why they keep making changes on each album.

Not to mention the Red Album was awesome, minus a couple of songs.

Calm down. No need to throw your puppies in the river.
Quote by red157
Calm down. No need to throw your puppies in the river.

I thought my response was rather calm.

I'd like to hear why you feel the way you do.
Quote by daytripper75

I thought my response was rather calm.

I'd like to hear why you feel the way you do.

I didn't really put much thought into an example.

I guess I picked Weezer due to them going from the lazy mainstream rock thing (Bev-er-ley Hillz) which nobody liked, back to what they seem to think people want to hear from them ('Isn't being a teenager, y'know, difficult').

And your response was calm. I'm just what's colloquially known as a 'tossbag'.
but there seem to be an increasing amount of people who are going down the rock path.

The music that our younger generation likes is usually the kind thats rebellious. Rap and Hip Hop are losing that appeal, now that almost every rapper is a millionaire who probably has never popped a cap in anyone's ass (no matter how many times he says it). Indie rock, on the other hand, is starting to come up because of the "underground" sorta nature of it.
Quote by pielover375
So last year, I put some potatoes in this jar and forgot about them. Today, I found them, and when I opened the jar, there is a puddle at the bottom and it smells like alcohol. If I drink this, do you think I will die, or have I made potato vodka?
Quote by red157
I didn't really put much thought into an example.

I guess I picked Weezer due to them going from the lazy mainstream rock thing (Bev-er-ley Hillz) which nobody liked, back to what they seem to think people want to hear from them ('Isn't being a teenager, y'know, difficult').

And your response was calm. I'm just what's colloquially known as a 'tossbag'.

Huh? Did you listen to their last two albums? Not really much teenager stuff on there. Not unless I'm interpreting the songs in a far different manner than you.
Quote by daytripper75
Huh? Did you listen to their last two albums? Not really much teenager stuff on there. Not unless I'm interpreting the songs in a far different manner than you.

Lyrics from 'Memories'...

Pissing in plastic cups before we went on stage
Playing hackey sack back when Audioslave was still Rage
Watching all the freaky Dutch kids vomit then have sex
Listening to techno music on the bus while we earned our checks

God knows how I drew the conclusion that this was about being a teenager.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
However, it is good that people are starting to say stuff like Lady Gaga is shit. Now, if we can only get rid of those damn rappers. (Rap is NOT music; it is an art form, albeit a very shitty one, imho).

music = art

And yeah, rap is music, and some of it can be pretty damn good but I guess that part is opinion.

And on topic, I think the whole thing is pretty cool, but I'm more excited to see what advancements are made in music and recording technology.
Quote by red157
Lyrics from 'Memories'...

Pissing in plastic cups before we went on stage
Playing hackey sack back when Audioslave was still Rage
Watching all the freaky Dutch kids vomit then have sex
Listening to techno music on the bus while we earned our checks

God knows how I drew the conclusion that this was about being a teenager.

Which is why the song is called "Memories." He didn't write it as if that's what they were currently doing. You make it seem like they're writing songs as if they were still teenagers.
Quote by daytripper75

Which is why the song is called "Memories." He didn't write it as if that's what they were currently doing. You make it seem like they're writing songs as if they were still teenagers.

Yeah that warranted a face-palm...

They're not writing songs as if they were teenagers, they're writing songs they think teenagers will like, which was my original point (Raditude was full of such lyrics - 'Right now everything sucks, I can't express the things I want').

I get it, you still like Weezer.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Well, I like STP and Soundgarden. I hate Foo Fighters and Green Day. Out of those bands, I'm not too excited really. I'm actually more optimistic about the Progressive Rock scene, like I've always been. However, it is good that people are starting to say stuff like Lady Gaga is shit. Now, if we can only get rid of those damn rappers. (Rap is NOT music; it is an art form, albeit a very shitty one, imho).

Rap is music. You may not like it, but it is music. People need to get over themselves. Just because you don't like something does not discredit it.
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt