So I really want to learn Little Wing by Jimi. It's a great song (even though I wish it was longer), but I'm kind of worried that I'm not good enough to play it yet, and I don't want to waste my time if I'm just going to fall flat on my face. Basically I've been playing for a year and a half, and I'm not that good to be honest. I don't practice like I should, and I just started slowing things down with a metronome when learning them instead of trying to learn it at full speed right from the start. I'm about to master Enter Sandman by Metallica, and that is probably the hardest song I can play. Some other songs are Simple Man, and Iron Man. All beginner stuff.

So I was wondering if I should even bother trying to learn this song yet, or should I just wait until I'm a little better and try it then?

WHERE IS MY PICK?
theres no way to get better unless you learn more difficult songs, go for it
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
you gotta learn sometime. if you want to learn it go ahead and, if you mess up big deal. even if you mess it up and give it up when you go back to it later and try to learn it again it will give you some good insight into how much youve improved.
Might as well give it a shot, what have you got to lose exactly?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Ok thanks guys
and here is another question:

Did Jimi try to make songs as difficult to play on purpose or was he just that DAMN GOOD? Omfg this is rediculous. I guess it's not that bad, but I never really play songs with a lot of chords and stuff in it.

WHERE IS MY PICK?
he was innovative - just slow it down, it took me a little while to get it after about 2 1/2 years of playing
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Quote by DemonicTurtle66
Ok thanks guys
and here is another question:

Did Jimi try to make songs as difficult to play on purpose or was he just that DAMN GOOD? Omfg this is rediculous. I guess it's not that bad, but I never really play songs with a lot of chords and stuff in it.

Jimi was just playing man, he wasn't thinking about anything much at all.

If you're not used to it it's going to be a really difficult style to get into but it'll be worth the practice.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Its never too early to learn Little Wing! (if you want a longer version, you have to check out Stevie Ray Vaughn't version.)

I was exactly the same - desperate to learn it. but if you learn 'Yellow Ledbetter' by Pearl Jam first, you will find it easier... its the same technique.

Next thing you have to do is discover the rout notes (the ones the xylophone plays on the album recording), once you know those, turn them into bar-chords: most of the song is just noted within the bar-chords.

Best of luck man. Keep us posted!
I assure you its brilliant!
I learnt to play it with like 1 year of playing (though admittedly I never really got further than the intro before the verse xD). The trick is just knowing your basic scales (even pentatonic will do) and improvising around the chord sequence. I was always more into improvising so maybe that's why I found it easier.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the chord progression just follows:
Em -> G -> Am -> Em7 -> Bm -> Bb -> Am -> G11 -> A11 -> F11 -> C -> D

Just play those chords through the song, and then maybe start to mess around with them a bit once you get comfortable with the positions (they were mostly played as barres, I believe).

Good luck!
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
I have been playing for 2 years now , and to tell you the truth it's way too hard for me
Well I don't know much about chords and scales, so I'm using this tab: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/j/jimi_hendrix/little_wing_tab.htm

I want to develop my basic techniques a little bit more before learning theory. I know I probably have that backwards, but it's just the route I'm taking. Once I get a little better and get a new amp I'm gonna start reading lessons on UG about scales and how they're formed, chord progressions, and other things.

I think I'm going to take Matacaster's advice and learn Yellow Ledbetter first. I always loved the guitar in that song, so I'm just as anxious to learn it.

EDIT: You know what? Both of these songs seem out of my league and Little Wing actually seems easier than Yellow Ledbetter lol. I think I'm going to work on perfecting Enter Sandman some more before trying any of this stuff, because I notice I always start to learn a song and I never follow through with it. That is why I can only play 3 songs "OK" but I wouldn't want to play them in front of people.

WHERE IS MY PICK?
Last edited by DemonicTurtle66 at Sep 3, 2010,
Improvising is basic technique

Just learn the pentatonic, it's simple, and then you can use that to learn songs so much more easily (a lot of melodies are in the pentatonic).
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
I play a lot of different types of music. I found Yellow Ledbetter REALLY hard when I first tried it maybe 3 years ago. What I found helped me was playing RHCP songs. The technique in most of John's funky chords and the way he held the guitar really helped with YL and Little Wing.
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay
Quote by DemonicTurtle66
So I really want to learn Little Wing by Jimi. It's a great song (even though I wish it was longer), but I'm kind of worried that I'm not good enough to play it yet, and I don't want to waste my time if I'm just going to fall flat on my face. Basically I've been playing for a year and a half, and I'm not that good to be honest. I don't practice like I should, and I just started slowing things down with a metronome when learning them instead of trying to learn it at full speed right from the start. I'm about to master Enter Sandman by Metallica, and that is probably the hardest song I can play. Some other songs are Simple Man, and Iron Man. All beginner stuff.

So I was wondering if I should even bother trying to learn this song yet, or should I just wait until I'm a little better and try it then?

I'd say go for it. You have nothing to lose trying to learn it.

A couple of things to note is that Jimi played his chords slightly differently from most. He used his thumb to play the chord roots of barre chords.

Jimi also used a lot of chord embellishments. These can be broken down into two ideas that fit with E shape and A shape barre chords. Little wing is full of these kind of embellishments.

I suggest you get the basic chord progression down first, before adding any embellishments. So learn to play just the chords first. This will really help in your understanding of how Jimi built up his songs and will greatly simplify the way you approach his songs.

For more on how to play the above mentioned things http://www.theloneguitaristblog.com/beginner/jimi-hendrix-teach-rhythm-guitar/ .

Hope this helps,
Willem
when you look at the tab it looks harder than what it actually is

look at the chord changes as this is the guide to the position shifts that your fretting hand needs to make, familarity with the CAGED system helps.

when i view it as i`m playing it in my head i visualize the position i need to be in next, so what i`m thinking over the intro would be

Em 12th then open
Am 5th fret
G 3rd fret
Em 7th fret
Bm 7th fret

The rest is familiarity with how the tune sounds so i know what notes to hit within the above positions

hope that makes sense
One of the first songs I learned was Purple Haze. It's never to early to try and learn something. Just keep at it eventually it'll click and you'll be able to play it great
Quote by ibanezgod1973
when you look at the tab it looks harder than what it actually is

look at the chord changes as this is the guide to the position shifts that your fretting hand needs to make, familarity with the CAGED system helps.

when i view it as i`m playing it in my head i visualize the position i need to be in next, so what i`m thinking over the intro would be

Em 12th then open
Am 5th fret
G 3rd fret
Em 7th fret
Bm 7th fret

The rest is familiarity with how the tune sounds so i know what notes to hit within the above positions

hope that makes sense

I was going to say the same thing.

Little Wing is complicated, in that there's a fair bit to remember, but technically it's not really that difficult. Most of what's going on his happening around chords so as long as you base yourself at the right position most of the embellishments practically fall under your fingers anyway.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com