Under $500 usd?

I currently have a Roland Keyboard amp that sounds OK for bass, but I know I can do better.

I no longer have a bass guitar, so that would be something I need.

So, what Bass and amp is good for $500 or under? Or maybe just a bit more? I'm not a serious Bass player, so I don't need a massive set-up.

Used is fine, my location is Lansing, Michigan if there are any deals out there.

I mostly play prog metal stuff, abstract music, etc. Think Opeth in terms of tone.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Any squier bass, or a bass like that, or an Ibanez sound gear, low end version (200 series) i have the 5 string 205 and its pretty good for what its worth.
that was like $260, so then with the leftover money you could get a decent combo amp.
Quote by Seanstrom
Any squier bass, or a bass like that, or an Ibanez sound gear, low end version (200 series) i have the 5 string 205 and its pretty good for what its worth.
that was like $260, so then with the leftover money you could get a decent combo amp.

Yeah, I was thinking Amp over Bass.

Like, maybe $300 for amp, $200 for Bass. Since the amp is where most your tone comes from.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
ashdown amps
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
In that case go for a Squier bass, but make sure its not one of the cheaper Squiers, go for a more expensive one. You don't want to get a piece of crap bass that doesn't stay in tune, or have good tone. For amps, depending upon what you're looking for, I'd stay away from Line 6 if you want the clean tone, I haven't been too impressed with their clean.
Quote by Seanstrom
In that case go for a Squier bass, but make sure its not one of the cheaper Squiers, go for a more expensive one. You don't want to get a piece of crap bass that doesn't stay in tune, or have good tone. For amps, depending upon what you're looking for, I'd stay away from Line 6 if you want the clean tone, I haven't been too impressed with their clean.

Nooo..... I have played the Low Down amps, ugh... haha.

And are there any Ashdown Amp models that are good?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
5 fifteen
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by adj209
5 fifteen

This looks sexy, any equally sexy sound clips?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
yeah line 6 bass amps are terrible, don't know much about their guitar amps. for bass amps, i'd recommend, as previously stated, Ashdown, as well as ampeg, acoustic, and hartke.
An Ibanez GSR200 would be a great choice, or a Yamaha RBX170 or Peavey Millennium. Cheaper than the Squier VM's and CV's, but still fantastic basses.

For amps, look used. Check out local shops or craigslist and see what you can find. If you're fine with just a practice amp, look for a Kustom KBA10, they go for around $60 or so used. Or if you want something for band practice, look for a used Peavey or Acoustic.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass