OK, I had mine set up at a reputable family owned place that has a master luthier employeed. Wether he did mine or not, not sure. Anyways I have a Squier Affinity and I went in and dropped it off.

I asked the normal questions like how much and what's do you do when you setup a guitar. He does everything needed, intonation, strings, action, frets, what ever for $27(no frets for this) bucks INCLUDING strings... ernie ball strings(his recommendation).

I'am still a big newb so I trust him. He asked me if I would like it setup in the style of a real fender. I told him do what he recommends. He said it's all in what you like, so I told him yeah sure. I believe he either raised or lowered the bridge not sure but I know it had to do with the bridge. What does 'setting up like a real fender' mean?

I get it back, it's great. So much easier to play, sounds a shit ton better BUT I get this rattling on the low E and A string in the upper frets(1st, 2nd, and maybe the 3rd). I don't feel like driving 30 miles to go bring it back to ask him. It doesn't sound like fret buzz, more rattling.

Any idea what I need to do to fix this or is it just because the guitar is shitty? Everything else is great and I'am really happy with his work and plan on taking my acoustic there.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
usually lowering action is what causes buzz, and given that its easier to play im 99% sure he lowered it. Check the ultimate setup thread stickied in this forum and find your exact bridge type and there should be instructions on how to raise/lower action.
I'm going to say fret buzz, but I don't know any more than you do now
la de da.
Okay, 1st and 2nd and maybe 3rd frets are lower frets. Higher frets are towards the bridge. The guitar goes by pitch. The low e, while spatially on top, is the lowest pitch, and is called the lowest string.

Anyways, it's possible that a couple of the allan screws in the string saddles are a little loose. I'd call him back, as you're a self-proclaimed newb, and I wouldn't mess with it too much because you could potentially undo what he did with the action.

Or you can mess with it and maybe learn something.
My Gear:
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
Ibanez RGT42
PRS Santana SE

Randall RG50TC

DOD YJM308 Preamp Overdrive
Digitech RP250

Tortex jazz picks (1.14 mm)
I know what fret buzz is as my Squier had plenty of it and it doesn't sound anything like that. More of a fast clanking sound. I think I might raise the low E and A string just a tad and see if that does anything.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Vox VT 20+
Before you touch the bridge, try to see if you can figure out where the sound is coming from. Put your ear next to the frets, next to the bridge, next to the nut, next to the pickups, and next to the tuners. This will help you narrow it down. If you are positive it is not fret buzz, start touching different parts of your guitar while it is making the noise. If it stops the noise when your finger is on a certain part, it will help narrow it done. Post back with what you find. For now, I'd try not to go turning wrenches and making adjustments until you know what it is. Often this will save you from screwing up. Know from experience when I got my first guitar. hahha
Quote by TheWaydown
Before you touch the bridge, try to see if you can figure out where the sound is coming from. Put your ear next to the frets, next to the bridge, next to the nut, next to the pickups, and next to the tuners. This will help you narrow it down. If you are positive it is not fret buzz, start touching different parts of your guitar while it is making the noise. If it stops the noise when your finger is on a certain part, it will help narrow it done. Post back with what you find. For now, I'd try not to go turning wrenches and making adjustments until you know what it is. Often this will save you from screwing up. Know from experience when I got my first guitar. hahha

Thanks for your fast response. I raised the low E and A string with no success. Infact it does it on the low E from the low frets all the way to maybe the 13th-14 fret. The A is mainly clanking in the low frets, the rest are fine. I shook the hell out of it all over and nothings loose. It sounds a lot more metallic than fret buzz to me but I'am new so I don't have a lot of experience.

If it's the bow from the truss rod, wouldn't it effect all the strings? It seems that it would be the action if it's just the low e and a string clanking.

I tried going by ear and sometimes it sounds in the bridge area, other times at the fret I'am holding. It's hard to pin point it.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Vox VT 20+
my guess would be one or two of the saddles. ive had it happen to me a couple times. honestly, i just kinda pounded on it with the flesh of my hand and it went away lol. obviously im not going to suggest to start hitting your guitar. one of the saddles might just be slightly out of line or perhaps its off balance. also, maybe check the screws that move the saddle back and forth. it may rattle if its loose.

the other thing it might be is the trem. do you have the tremolo arm in? im not sure why but sometimes they can rattle and/or make a metalic noise when playing. ive also had this happen. if so, the arm is probably just loose in the hole and a new one might solve this.

it may also be the springs in the back. sometimes they can ring out on certain notes. imo, it doesnt sound like thats what it is but im just giving another possibility.

do you have string trees? if yes, are the strings actually under them? if one is free, it might be rattling while playing. again, i dont think its that because it seems to only be on the low strings. this would happen no matter where you played as long as there was enough vibration to rattle it.

and of course it may just be fret buzz. but if you really dont think so (i dont either if its truely a rattling sound) then my best bet would be the trem or the saddles.
Hmm. Are you capable of making a video of the noise on youtube? If it is happening on that many frets, my first guess would be it is something with the saddle at the bridge, but you said you raised them up and it still makes the noise?? Try pressing down on the E/A string saddles while you play to see if the noise stops. Does it sound like a sitar-type of noise? If worse comes to worse you can bring it back to the shop, however it'd be nice to figure it out on your own.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
my guess would be one or two of the saddles. ive had it happen to me a couple times. honestly, i just kinda pounded on it with the flesh of my hand and it went away lol. obviously im not going to suggest to start hitting your guitar. one of the saddles might just be slightly out of line or perhaps its off balance. also, maybe check the screws that move the saddle back and forth. it may rattle if its loose.

the other thing it might be is the trem. do you have the tremolo arm in? im not sure why but sometimes they can rattle and/or make a metalic noise when playing. ive also had this happen. if so, the arm is probably just loose in the hole and a new one might solve this.

it may also be the springs in the back. sometimes they can ring out on certain notes. imo, it doesnt sound like thats what it is but im just giving another possibility.

do you have string trees? if yes, are the strings actually under them? if one is free, it might be rattling while playing. again, i dont think its that because it seems to only be on the low strings. this would happen no matter where you played as long as there was enough vibration to rattle it.

and of course it may just be fret buzz. but if you really dont think so (i dont either if its truely a rattling sound) then my best bet would be the trem or the saddles.

I'll pound on it as a last resort.

I took the arm out, nothing changed. I popped the back cover off and played it, it's hard to tell where the noise is coming from but it seems to be in that area more so than the fret.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Vox VT 20+
Quote by TheWaydown
Hmm. Are you capable of making a video of the noise on youtube? If it is happening on that many frets, my first guess would be it is something with the saddle at the bridge, but you said you raised them up and it still makes the noise?? Try pressing down on the E/A string saddles while you play to see if the noise stops. Does it sound like a sitar-type of noise? If worse comes to worse you can bring it back to the shop, however it'd be nice to figure it out on your own.

I tried making a video but the sound didn't come out to well on my phone but I'am going to try again. I raised the strings up and it made a little difference but still there and the strings are high now lol. Doesn't sound like a sitar from what I hear on youtube. I took it back and they adjusted the height higher and it made it better there and when I went back home, it's the same. Some old guy there said I was picking too hard but I don't think so.

Well I had brought in my acoustic to get some things done to it and it turned out fine. I brought up my electric and how it still doing the same thing, he said to bring it back and he would look at it again. I'll update this thread again and try to get a sound clip of it.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Vox VT 20+