If your finger picking the same string multiple times at a fairly fast tempo is it ''better'' to play it with the same finger or to change fingers? On the lower strings i just pick with my thumb but on the higher strings it seems inefficient to use your thumb.
I've looked for this information elsewhere but it seems all the finger picking exercises and videos and such only exemplify playing arpeggios on the higher strings, constantly changing which string is being picked, and no source seems to explain it.
Id say the best way to play fast is how I learned classical. The low E A and D are played with the thumb. The G with the index, the B with the middle, and the high E with the ring finger. This is so you can be playing the melody with your fingers and the bass line with your thumb.
Quote by miguelavt150
Id say the best way to play fast is how I learned classical. The low E A and D are played with the thumb. The G with the index, the B with the middle, and the high E with the ring finger. This is so you can be playing the melody with your fingers and the bass line with your thumb.

I knew that but I was wondering if for example your just playing the high e and you need to pluck it three times fast in a row, would you just use the ring finger or would you switch to the middle for the second pluck and to the index to the third or maybe some other combination.
Quote by cal1fub3ralle5
I knew that but I was wondering if for example your just playing the high e and you need to pluck it three times fast in a row, would you just use the ring finger or would you switch to the middle for the second pluck and to the index to the third or maybe some other combination.

See if you can play those 3 notes at the speed needed with one finger. I you can do it, or come close to the speed, then use one finger. But if needed, use multiple fingers.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Haha ok that makes more sense. You mean alternating picking? Use either your index and your middle finger, or you can use all 3 if its too fast. If you need to hit it 3 times fast Id say use all three fingers.
That would be a tremolo, so I suppose if its something like a Bass note, and 3 treble notes, I would go Thumb for the bass, and then Ring, Middle, Index for the treble notes. If there are more than 3 treble notes on the same string, repeat the R,M,I right hand pattern.
definitely with three fingers.

Check out Mauro Giuliani's 120 right hand studies.
It's a set of 120 classical guitar studies aimed at getting your picking hand to get awesome.

Even if you don't play in a classical style, I am willing to bet it will make you play better
The only suggestion I have is, you should keep the fingernails on your fretting hand trimmed as short as possible without hitting the skin of course, then file them smooth. When I play, only the calluses really touch the strings. My fingernails don't seem to be involved at all. I notice if I get lazy and don't trim them, they start getting in the way and playing becomes more difficult.
I recall the Guitar Player interview with Chet Atkins who said that he used thumb and one finger for fast single-string runs, but that he had learned that way as there was no one to tell him any different.
He admitted that the classical approach was more efficient and wished he had been able to study that.

However... The French guitarist, Marcel Dadi, used to simply use his thumbnail in much the same manner as a flatpick...
More than one way to skin the proverbial feline.