Do you think creativity has been degenerating in the past 2 centuries?

Page 1 of 5
Do you think that creativity in the arts and entertainment, whether its music, paintings, movies, books, etc have decreased in quality? Obviously most of us prefer the modern entertainment, to stuff like classical music and movies from the 20s, but do you think older stuff was deeper, more insightful, involved more talent, and so on?
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɥʇıʍ poob ʇou ɯı uʍop ǝpısdn sıɥʇ sı ʎɥʍ pob ɥo
no, you're just looking in the wrong places

Modern movies: Moon, Defendor, Martyrs (all 2009)

Modern Music: Negura Bunget, Agalloch, Converge, Godspeed you! Black Emperor

(just some examples, I'm sure there's 1000s more)
Last edited by technicolour at Sep 2, 2010,
I always really really want to like old stuff better than new stuff But i just don't. We're definitely getting better at making creative shit.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
God damnit.

No.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
No, ideas have changed and creativity has taken a different direction to that of the past
Appreciating Metal since 1998

R.I.P - Ronnie James Dio

1942-2010
Nope. It's the quantity of stuff that's being produced that makes it seem like this. These days, more songs are being produced, more movies shot, more novels written, and more art being painted than ever before. Most of the stuff made is pure shit (as you'd assume). Therefore, it's harder to pick out the gems that might last for another 2 centuries. We think people 2 centuries ago made better things because we only see the better things. I'm sure there was some form of primitive 4chan in Ancient Greece
Quote by pielover375
So last year, I put some potatoes in this jar and forgot about them. Today, I found them, and when I opened the jar, there is a puddle at the bottom and it smells like alcohol. If I drink this, do you think I will die, or have I made potato vodka?
i think music is more half and half. On one side, pop music has been progressively worse since the 80's and all these disney channel music artists are just bullshit. but at the same time, REAL genres of music, everything from indie to rap to metal has progressed greatly over time
Originally Posted by strat0blaster
No matter what you like, you will like Meshuggah.

FREE GUITAR STRINGS!
yes, its just that the resources they had at hand wasn't as high of a quality as we have today. if they had the same resources, and the same variety, all at the prices we have today, the creativity would have been even better. the geniuses would have been able to afford better stuff, and more stuff, giving more of a unique touch on things.

EDIT:
also this.
Nope. It's the quantity of stuff that's being produced that makes it seem like this. These days, more songs are being produced, more movies shot, more novels written, and more art being painted than ever before. Most of the stuff made is pure shit (as you'd assume). Therefore, it's harder to pick out the gems that might last for another 2 centuries. We think people 2 centuries ago made better things because we only see the better things. I'm sure there was some form of primitive 4chan in Ancient Greece
Last edited by Seanstrom at Sep 2, 2010,
Quote by Seanstrom
yes, its just that the resources they had at hand wasn't as high of a quality as we have today. if they had the same resources, and the same variety, all at the prices we have today, the creativity would have been even better. the geniuses would have been able to afford better stuff, and more stuff, giving more of a unique touch on things.

What makes you think that? Do you think that people in the past where some how naturally smarter?

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
any older mainstream music seems like it has more worth than today's mainstream. by mainstream, i mean what all the "cool kids" are listening to.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
No.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Society changes, so does art, although that doesn't make it less creative, just different.
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
Mainstream has always sucked, for the most part. Whether now or in the past.

The part about talent, definitely not.

I don't like how most movies that come out these days are based on something else; a book, a previous movie, a video game, a Disneyland attraction... etc.

But other than that, there's a lot of good stuff out there these days. You just have to look for it.
That Cheap Fucking Smile Carries You To Bed

Those Lips Are Social Suicide But I Just Wanna See You Dead.
Ill answer your question with another question. Have you seen 7 year old asian genius guitarists?
"You Laugh at me for Being Different. I laugh at you for all Being the Same."

Girls I want to Intercourse
Jessica Alba
Oprah
Girlicious (each of them)
Betty White
In the last 200 years? Try the last 30...

Then:

Now:

Then:

Now:

I rest my case.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Absolutely not! The rise of television, cinema, rapid expansion of arts, architecture, sculpture, literature, radio, theatre, animation, music and so much more, with it being easier than ever for the common man to create art and share it with the world? Seriously?
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
What makes you think that? Do you think that people in the past where some how naturally smarter?

yes actually, because they had less distractions, and didn't have things like the internet to get a mass market. therefore people worked harder, and only those with talent made it. Also people of the past valued their education, and political influence far more than the idiots that live now. (at least compared to the majority of americans, i'm american.)

by this i'm talking classical music periods. not so much for music after 1900. mainstream music now has no heart, it has no soul. music now is just a weigh for the high school dropouts, or people who couldnt make it else where in life to try and make a living.
now i don't mean that to offend those of you who actually do value your music, and pput your soul and heart into it, i also don't mean to offend those who do value their education, and all that good stuff. its just the general decline in peoples caring towards themselves and others.
Back in those days it's pretty much a given that bad art was produced, but, memory is selective, and as such we only know about the deservedly famous works of art from our past, making it seem like every piece of music written, every story created and every painting painted was solid gold.
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
listen a band calld Coldplay TS,one of the best artist of the last years
Quote by Seanstrom
yes actually, because they had less distractions, and didn't have things like the internet to get a mass market. therefore people worked harder, and only those with talent made it. Also people of the past valued their education, and political influence far more than the idiots that live now. (at least compared to the majority of americans, i'm american.)

by this i'm talking classical music periods. not so much for music after 1900. mainstream music now has no heart, it has no soul. music now is just a weigh for the high school dropouts, or people who couldnt make it else where in life to try and make a living.
now i don't mean that to offend those of you who actually do value your music, and pput your soul and heart into it, i also don't mean to offend those who do value their education, and all that good stuff. its just the general decline in peoples caring towards themselves and others.

Less distractions? Dude, people for the past could expect to live to the ripe old age of 30...Nowadays we have time to create more because we don't have to worry about polio or rickets..(I'm exaggerating but my point still stands)

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Quote by Epicbizzjizz

I rest my case.

I could do the same thing as you, and disprove your point.

Then:

Now:

Then:

Now:

It all depends on where you look.
Yksinään hän vaeltaa mis' varjot lankeaa
Halki usvan ja roudan vain teräs seuranaan
Sydämensä kylmä on kuin maa routainen
Mutta silmissään viha polttava kuin kiuas tulinen
Quote by Dopey_Trout
Back in those days it's pretty much a given that bad art was produced, but, memory is selective, and as such we only know about the deservedly famous works of art from our past, making it seem like every piece of music written, every story created and every painting painted was solid gold.

This.

We don't see everything from the past. Just the stuff that was good enough to last through decades. So you automatically assume everything was that good.

Like I said, there's still good stuff out there. And really creative stuff. You just have to find it.
That Cheap Fucking Smile Carries You To Bed

Those Lips Are Social Suicide But I Just Wanna See You Dead.
I don't think so. I think now though the deal is this: The good music from back then is the music that stood the test of time. All the bad stuff is almost completly forgotten by most people. Now, since things are pretty new, we don't have that, because it hasn't had to survive through much time yet. Therefore, we do not know what is truely the best music from these past few decades. We know a person like is good, like Jimi Hendrix, for a quick example, because even many many years after his death, he is still regarded as one of the greatest electric guitarists of all time. Do you think, say, Miley Cyrus will be remembered for the same amount of time if she died at the same age?

EDIT!!: Damn, beaten to it.
Quote by dethskar0
Mainstream has always sucked, for the most part. Whether now or in the past.

The part about talent, definitely not.

I don't like how most movies that come out these days are based on something else; a book, a previous movie, a video game, a Disneyland attraction... etc.

But other than that, there's a lot of good stuff out there these days. You just have to look for it.

This is true, the mainstream is getting further into the dark ages though. Still, there's plenty of good stuff going on today, musical or otherwise
for those of you say that we're more creative, i want you to think about it this way, the population has increased dramatically in the last 200 years. so we're not necessarily more creative, you're just seeing more of the peoples creativity. i'm sure if we waited 200 years and looked back to see what stayed from now, and then asked this question again, people would be saying the same things we're saying now.
Quote by HailSlaytan
I could do the same thing as you, and disprove your point.

It all depends on where you look.

Alright, but you have to admit, there is a lot more shit being pushed into popularity now.

Quote by Epicbizzjizz
Alright, but you have to admit, there is a lot more shit being pushed into popularity now.

There's a lot of shit being pushed into the popularity since forever
No. Shut up. There's always been people like Miley Cyrus, and movies/books like Eat Pray Love, it's just that we all agreed they sucked and decided we wouldn't let these little mishaps be remembered 20 years later

and as for the whole 'then/now' argument

Then: Godfather Part 2, Pink Floyd, Cat's Cradle
Now: Watchmen, MGMT, and Fight Club

Godfather Part 2 and Watchmen are tied for best movie ever made, MGMT is just as mind-blowingly amazing as Pink Floyd, and Cat's Cradle and Fight Club are both some of the greatest books ever written.
Last edited by cornmancer at Sep 2, 2010,
Everyone, stop hating on mainstream music, please. There's plenty of non mainstream music that sucks as much (or worse than) mainstream music. Either way, Metallica, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden are all considered "mainstream".. or they were. A lot of the music you listen to is probably mainstream too. "Mainstream" isn't just Miley Cyrus and Justin Beiber. Most of the bands that are famous have a pretty solid fanbase. The only reason we don't like bubblegum pop is because you're not the target audience.

By saying you hate all mainstream music, you're just as close-minded as the twelve year old girl who says that "heavy metal is just screaming and banging noise".

kthnxbi

i'm sure if we waited 200 years and looked back to see what stayed from now, and then asked this question again, people would be saying the same things we're saying now.

Nah, we're gonna be gone in 200 years when the Mayan Apocalypse happens.
Quote by pielover375
So last year, I put some potatoes in this jar and forgot about them. Today, I found them, and when I opened the jar, there is a puddle at the bottom and it smells like alcohol. If I drink this, do you think I will die, or have I made potato vodka?
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by Epicbizzjizz

Then:

Now:

Then:

Now:

I rest my case.

I'm sure you could find equallity shitty movies and music that were made in those periods

Not to say I don't love Pink Floyd or the God Father
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
Quote by TheReverend724
There's a lot of shit being pushed into the popularity since forever

Now that's just not true. Music used to be about expression, movies were to tell an enticing tale, etc. Now everything is just a means to make money, don't tell me that's not the truth. Every pop star produced by disney is just a means to make some cash.

What a stupid question. I think the twentieth century had some of the most creative artistic works of all time. And I'm sure the twenty-first century will have it's share of great artists as well. You've gotta be one hell of a doofus to act like Miley Cyrus is the definitive artist of our generation.
Ha!

Ha!

No!
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Epicbizzjizz
Now that's just not true. Music used to be about expression, movies were to tell an enticing tale, etc. Now everything is just a means to make money, don't tell me that's not the truth. Every pop star produced by disney is just a means to make some cash.

No. We went from these clothes:

To these clothes:

Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by gacharya
Everyone, stop hating on mainstream music, please. There's plenty of non mainstream music that sucks as much (or worse than) mainstream music. Either way, Metallica, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden are all considered "mainstream".. or they were. A lot of the music you listen to is probably mainstream too. "Mainstream" isn't just Miley Cyrus and Justin Beiber. Most of the bands that are famous have a pretty solid fanbase. The only reason we don't like bubblegum pop is because you're not the target audience.

By saying you hate all mainstream music, you're just as close-minded as the twelve year old girl who says that "heavy metal is just screaming and banging noise".

kthnxbi

Nah, we're gonna be gone in 200 years when the Mayan Apocalypse happens.

True post.

One day when i have time I'm going to do study to find out once and for all if the pit mentions Justin beiber more than some people who you'd expect to love that stuff. A teen forum or something.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Quote by Epicbizzjizz

Herp de derp, there's more music than the ultra popular pop stars. There is plenty of expression in movies and such, you just don't see it.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Herp de derp, there's more music than the ultra popular pop stars. There is plenty of expression in movies and such, you just don't see it.

NO SHIT! I'm telling you though, that if you think the mainstream is good intentioned expression than you are embarrassingly naive.

Page 1 of 5