I've done carbon and other materials layups for aerospace parts for years. It's beautiful and fairly well bulletproof if done right, and I can do it right. But since I'm just getting started with this other line, I'm going to offer the first couple close to cost, and ask the purchasers to report back here their honest opinion.

SO. Take a look at Stewmac, Guitar Parts Resource etc., and see what fancy pick guard material, such as tortise, pre-cut or not goes for. If you've seen carbon fiber stuff, you know how good it looks. If you haven't, don't let me sell you on it, ask someone who has. Pictures can't do it justice because the grain appears to float below the surface, almost like a hologram. I will make and sell a couple of guards or material for about what you could buy plastic for. Say, $40 for a Tele, $50 for a Strat, $30 for a Les Paul or for a piece of material for you to cut yourself. The first run is silver Texalium, an aluminum impregnated e-glass fiber with the same chacrateristics as carbon except the color. If you want me to cut it, you'll need to send me yours so I can match it, all cut to size, drilled, etc. The material is aerospace grade fiber weave, laminated onto a substrate (can vary; I favor aircraft ply), top side finished with wet sanding, polyurethane, more sanding/polishing, more poly, until *I* am happy, and I'm fussy about this stuff. Edges are beveled and finished. Later, the price will go up, no more than about 50% of the above. Oh, laminations are done by hand using aerospace grade clear drying, no blush epoxy. Between the cost of this stuff and the cloth, trust me the pries above are materials cost, and nothing for the work.

I'm putting a silver guard on a traditional blond Tele. I should have it done by mid-month. I'll post pics and take orders at that time. Unless you really just can't wait and want to order, PM me here and we'll talk. Second batch will be black carbon. If this offer goes well I'll extend the offer to that stuff too before going full tilt.

So why should you pay that much for pick guard? You shouldn't. There's no should about it. You want to or don't. It's decorating and customizing with a material that happens to be far better at doing the job than most anything else available.
Haven't had any hits, which is a shame. I'd rather do this for U-G folks first.

The first run is finished and ready to cut. Remember hop sack pants, the kind of loose/coarse woven cotton slacks? That kind of weave but larger (more threads per weave) yet tighter (flatter). Then imagine it if they were woven from thread made from a mirror, and that covered with a sheet of glass. Except it's not glass or anything even remotely breakable, it's pretty much the stuff Boeing is building their newest aircraft with. I'm ready to cut one Tele guard, could do another at the same time, $40 shipped. I'll post pics when mine is finished. No sense taking them before the poly, and you can't put that on until after it's cut, drilled and beveled. Come on, I need someone from the community to try it and tell everyone honestly what they think. If it sucks, tell everyone, return it for money back and I quit. Email me here or at hotblack (at) disasterarea dot org. Yes, these will stand up to plutonium rock power levels.

Samples: cut from the edges, the back side unsuitable for mounting due to epoxy drool, not beveled but poly and polished. A square inch or two, plenty to see the result, Send a self addressed stamped envelope with whatever kind you mail me with (USPS domestic, air mail, etc.) on it to:
Hotblack
676 W 900 S
Hebron IN 46341
USA

Here's a couple projects using similar composites. A different kind of application, but these work as intended including winning awards. That being so, flat pieces should work fairly well. There's some pics there, but they still don't do justice, you have to see it.

http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/bucky.shtml
http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/scratch_strickly_bizness.shtml

As a material scientist myself and guitar enthusiast...this is like a geargasm for me

Unfortunately my ESP does not have a pickguard

Good luck though man, and if my next guitar needs a pickguard I know where to go.

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Quote by edbert

As a material scientist myself and guitar enthusiast...this is like a geargasm for me

Unfortunately my ESP does not have a pickguard

Good luck though man, and if my next guitar needs a pickguard I know where to go.

You can always add a chin pad so you can play it fiddle style.

Got a materials guy in the family. Molecular reconfiguring of polyethylene. Using explosions. Darn kids are getting the fun jobs.

Couldn't figure how to get a video loaded here. So I got one loaded there:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=166582310025460&saved#!/profile.php?id=100000210767919