Ok here's the deal.

I want to get a dual rectifier. I love it's tone and features, but I'm struggling between getting the 2x12 combo (roadster) or the head with a 2x12 cab. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each? Are there any differences in sound? Where's Waldo? Answers to the first two questions are welcome!

Cheers!

EDIT: Any recommendations for a good 2x12 cab?
Jbab
Quote by '93
amazing...you sir deserve a lol stack

Last edited by jbab at Sep 3, 2010,
its easier to update it with a 4x12 in the future plus it looks more badass if you have a stack
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
I dont think there will be a difference in sound. I guess the only way to find out would be to play them side by side. I have a line6 2x12 combo, and i wish i had a head, because my shit weights 80 pounds, so that might persuade you.
flintazra wrote:

I think the next person to shoot up a school should list Jonas brothers and Hannah Montana as his favorite "musicians."
There's not really a "combo" of the Dual Recto, it's called the Trem-O-Verb.

The ToV has reverb and tremolo as well as a much closer circuit to the original, 2 channel rectos. It's tighter than a 3 channel recto (or at least until the ones that came out this year, I've not tried them yet).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Get a 2x12" cab for it. If you don't like the cab after a couple months, you could always swap it for something else.

If you get the combo, you could still swap out speakers, but the individual cab I think gives you a bit more 'fullness'.
Stacks are a lot easier to lug around, so that's always a plus.

Besides that, it's a Mesa... do you really want a Mesa combo. Obviously it doesn't matter at all, but come on. Stacks are badass.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well there are quite a few "Dual Rectifier" combos. You have the Tremoverb, Roadster, and Roadking, all "Dual Rectifiers", and all available in head or combo form. There's also the Rectoverb combo, which is a Single Recto. There is no regular "Dual Rectifier Solo" combo though.

First things first, combos are extremely heavy. I'd say it's a bit easier to carry a head, and then carry a 2x12 than carrying a huge combo.
With heads, you have option of using different cabs, which can really change your sound.

my 2 cents.
I think I'm leaning towards the head then...
BTW the combo I was talking about was the Roadster.
And what cab would you recommend with it?
Jbab
Quote by '93

Quote by jbab
I think I'm leaning towards the head then...
BTW the combo I was talking about was the Roadster.
And what cab would you recommend with it?

In that case, go with the Roadster over the Dual Recto, for sure.

Doesn't even matter at that point, Roadster > Dual Recto.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
In that case, go with the Roadster over the Dual Recto, for sure.

Doesn't even matter at that point, Roadster > Dual Recto.

What's the difference, I thought they were the same?
Jbab
Quote by '93

Quote by jbab
What's the difference, I thought they were the same?

The Dual Recto is 2/3 channels (depending on what version you get). The Roadster is 4 channels, the clean is far superior, the crunch is much better and is overall just a more versatile amp. The Roadster is basically the Road King without the ability to choose different cabs for each channel, and which tubes you want to run on them.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The Dual Recto is 2/3 channels (depending on what version you get). The Roadster is 4 channels, the clean is far superior, the crunch is much better and is overall just a more versatile amp. The Roadster is basically the Road King without the ability to choose different cabs for each channel, and which tubes you want to run on them.

This. I have a Roadster half-stack and it surpasses the standard Rectos in just about every single way, shape and form. On top of four channels, you are also allowed to switch between 50 and 100 watts for each channel (which also kicks out the second rectification tube or diode and will allow you to run it much like a Single Rectifier with a different pre-amp). Then you can switch between 5U4G and Si diode rectification and all the other Dual Rectifier features, but each channel is completely independent.

TS, the Roadster and Dual Rectifier are definitely not the same amp. They have similar voicing, yes, but the Roadster has a cajillion more features. Personally I think the Roadster shits on the Solo head, but it does cost significantly more. Just a heads up, they are HEAVY. My head weighs 45 lbs, my cab 104 lbs and the 2X12 combo weighs something like 90 lbs, or so I hear. If you wanted something like this, I'd get a head and 2X12 cab separate. It allows you to upgrade cab or head later on, and also allows you to make two lighter trips when transporting it.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Well the Roadster it is going to be! I think I'm going to wait for deals to pop up on eBay or something, to save up a bit of money. Thanks for the advice everyone!
Jbab
Quote by '93

Quote by MatrixClaw

Big +1 to this.

As much as I like my Triple Recto, I still kind of wish I went for the Roadster that was sitting right next to my Triple that I was A/B'ing.