Tomorrow i'm picking up a starter pack squire strat and a bunch of other musical junk from my friend. I am planning to put new pickups in it (since one of them is melted), strip the paint off and get it painted, and if i find the money and need other goodies (locking tuners, ...)
Ok, here come the noob questions:
I have no problem with the stripping the guitar (done plenty of woodwork), but never much painting.
I am going to have my friend paint it into a night sky (Black with the moon, stars, and the milky way across it). she is going to use paint brushes and such. When she is done and i get it back, will I simply need to spray over it with clear coat? and is doing it all by brush going to be a rough finish, or should i spray paint it black then have her paint in the rest? (I already surfed the painting thread, and asked but to no avail)

Also I have been surfing for some cheap replacement PUs, Tex-Mex seem like what i'm looking for (bluesy with some bite). does anyone concur? (also tried the Pickup thread already).
Thx guys. Ill post pics once i get started on it
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
using a brush will leave the finish fairly rough. you'll need to spray over it with clear, but it'll feel bumpy. the only way I can think to make it feel even would be to build up the clear really thick and sand it smooth, then a couple more coats. the dips will have to be built up enough to be higher than the bumps from the brush, which is what will be sanded down to the level of the lower spots. the trick is to get enough on there and to be careful not to break through when sanding.

*note that I haven't done a lot of work with finishing, I don't have much experience in this area.
If possible get them to use an airbrush. I also suggest using the paint on gloss clearcoat that's used to put over stains as it goes on thicker and doesn't seem to yellow like spray clearcoats. Just get a small can. It has enough to do like 5 guitars. Use a disposable sponge brush to apply as the gloss is tough to clean unless you have lacquer thinner.
Also be careful of acrylic paints as they tend to peel so try and get her to use oils.

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

PSN account - DeadAimHeadshot
Ok. she only does brush paintings, but I will ask her what type of paint she will use. So a brush on clearcoat works best.
Something else is should I spray paint it black so that part is smooth, then have her paint over that, or have her brush all of it. I'm not sure if the first option would look bad, like her painting wouldn't flow/mix with the rest of the paint?
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...

well if she uses oil paint then i'd let her do it straight on wood/ primer but if she's using acrylics then i guess it wouldnt matter, but just be gentle with it while applying the clearcoat when using acrylics, especially careful with it until the gloss is put on as acrylic dries kinda like latex-ish and peels off easily. I'd recommend sanding it down to the wood either way and priming it if it's being hand painted by brush.

and the specific brand of gloss i've mentioned using is MINWAX Polyurethane superior durablity clear goss in an 8oz can.

I also reccomend as an artist painter, don't use cheap acrylics for this, the cheaper brands peel even easier. And if she plans on using tempera paint then its not even worth it. Oil would be ideal, but oil is harder to work with than acrylic, unless she is an expierienced artist.

Also, As far as the paint sticking up, i think it would honestly give it more texture and character as a guitar. Do a couple layers of gloss and see how it feels and looks to you, you may like it. Especially with that gloss as it shines amazing even after the first coat.

i'll sticky this thread for myself just ask if you have any more questions or if i left something out.

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

Thanks man, I appreciate the help. i'm sure ill have more questions haha. I've seen some of her paintings, and she is definitely not an amateur. Ill ask if she can/will use oil.
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...

ok, she said that oils are her favorite to use, so i won't have to bother with acrylics
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...

Haha no problem. Actually got me thinking of painting mine and testing out acrylic on it just to see how long it will last. I think if I hang it and keep from dinging it on anything before I put the gloss on it will be fine. I think if she uses acrylics it will be fine as long as extra care is taken until it's coated in gloss

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

if she uses oil, i have an experience with it, it may take LONG to dry, but i guess thats not a problem c: acrylics on other hand dries fast and would be easy to find a clearcoat for it c:
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Yeah oil can take a month or longer to dry. But in the end it will be the better choice of paint I think. Bit you can't put any clearcoat on it till it's completely dry which could be a month or two.

Maybe look for some enamel paint in a tube for her to use? Hobby shops with model cars should carry it. Maybe even walmart.

I totally forgot about the drying time for oils tho, so maybe acrylics would be worth a shot if you don't have the patience

And oils can look dry n
But not be completely in which case you put a clearcoat on oils that aren't completely dry it will crack the paint and clearcoat. I know it does this to acrylic but maybe the polyurethane gloss can bypass this. I will try and look it up later and let u know.

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

hmm, well i have plenty of patience, since this is just something ill work on weekends if even then. I have 2 other guitars i play, this is just something fun for me to try to get into. Since she loves to paint oils, and seems to be best with them, i think ill just let her use those, since i will probably get a better paint job from it.

He brought the stuff over last night, before we went to the Uproar festival, and then we jammed some today. I will most likely start on it next weekend. Unless I find time tomorrow. I will upload some pics once my computer stops being a b*tch
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...

I have a few more questions. I have been surfing Ebay for parts, and was wondering how far I should go with replacing stuff? I am definitely going to get new pick ups (tex mex) and locking tuners, pickguard, backplate, knobs, and strap locks. What else would be a good idea to change? Would a bridge off of an American strat be worth putting on it?
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...

If you are at it get new pots and save the s
Crappy squier ones for insurance if anything ever goes out on any of your guitars.

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months