I know this is probably a stupid question, and forgive me if this has been asked before.

Anyways, I recently discovered audacity via a friend, however he didn't describe it all too well. I was wondering if it was possible to hook up my Peavey ValveKing 112 to my computer for recording by using a 1/4" to 1/8" converter. Would the power of the VK damage the computer? If not, how would I go about connecting the amp to the computer?

Thanks in advance for the help!

EDIT: If I were to buy a mic-stand like this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Musician-s-Gear-Tripod-Desk-Mic-Stand-with-Clip-769239-i1423931.gc

and used my rock band microphone to record, how would you imagine the quality to be? Would I be better off just getting a new USB microphone?
Last edited by ABRfan at Sep 2, 2010,
It's possible, but yes, it could damage your soundcard. Best way of recording is using a mic, and you can pick up a decent one for around $50 USD. Behringer actually has some new USB mics that should more than do the trick for you, unless you wanted to get an external interface and an XLR mic, or something like that.

Also, I wouldn't recommend Audacity unless you're constrained on cash, or can't find a better program. Try Reaper. It's a great DAW, lots of features. If you are strapped on funds, then try Riffworks T4, it's free, and has some onboard effects that may well come in handy, and is fairly easy to jump in and start recording.
Super bad idea. Not only will you damage your soundcard, but you'll also damage the amp. Never, ever, ever, connect the output from your guitar amp directly into a soundcard. The only exception to this is if your amp has a built-in Direct Output. The only amp I'm aware that does this is the Rivera Sedona, althought there may be some others. That output is low level and designed to be fed directly into a mixer or USB interface. Your best bet would be to use a mic, such as a Shure SM57, to mic the cab and feed that to the interface. SM57s are cheap.

Using a Rock Band microphone will probably not yield spectacular results, but it may work. If you can afford it, buy a Shure SM57.
Thank you very much for the reply. And atm I don't have a way to pay for anything (am 16 without a job), so all the free stuff I can use the better. That being said, would the Rock Band mic be able to at least function until I can pull some cash together for a decent USB mic?

EDIT: Thanks for the help Steven, I think this thread is pretty much done
Last edited by ABRfan at Sep 2, 2010,
you shouldnt have any problems with amp to pc but I wouldn't even use an amp in that case and just go guitar to pc or pedals to pc
Give it a try. Like I said, I would've expect spectacular results. I really doubt they used a decent mic element. Plug it in, give it a shot. You may have to experiment with the levels a little to keep it from clipping. Heck, who knows? You may discover a sound that everybody tries to emulate! How cool is that?
Quote by canihasbucket
you shouldnt have any problems with amp to pc but I wouldn't even use an amp in that case and just go guitar to pc or pedals to pc

I'm an electronics technician. I'm saying it's a bad idea to go from amp to PC. Here are the reasons why:

1. The guitar amp output is high level (several volts) at 8 to probably 16 ohms.
2. The soundcard input is low level. It accepts a signal in the millivolts region. Overdrive it with even a volt and it's going to sound distorted.
3. The mismatch between the impedance of the two devices is going to cause severe sound degradation.
4. The input of the soundcard WILL blow if too much signal is fed into it.
5. The amplifier, not seeing a proper impedance match, would likely be damaged, too.
6. You'd also experience a ground loop - massive hum in the signal.

I could give a few more reasons, but I think we're good at 6.

Going from pedals to PC is a better idea. It will work and I've done it, but a better solution there would be to use a DI box.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Sep 2, 2010,