I have a show tomorrow night, but I had a tube blow out tonight at rehearsal. It's one of those Peavy Vypyrs with 2 6l6s. Anyway, my friend's dad said that some newer amps don't need to be biased, and that you can just, as long as it's a matching set pop in new tubes, without taking it to a pro shop. Do you guys know if I can do that with the vypyr?
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
That is correct. It's called fixed bias. As stated, you need to make sure the replacement power tubes match the tubes being replaced. If not, they'll either run hot or cold. If they run hot, expect problems... bad problems. If they run cold, it'll just sound like crap. My Peavey Vk112 is fixed bias and I suspect your Vypyr is, too. Do you have the manual? It should specify the type of bias used.
look in the manual that came with it to see if it auto biases it or has preset biases.
FWIW, when I replaced the power tubes in my Vk112, I bought them online. I think I bought them from Tube Depot. During the order process, in the comments block, I stated the tubes were for a fixed bias Vk112. The guy who runs the store hooked me up with the correct tubes for my amp. Wherever you buy them, they should have a book, or some way to tell the exact tubes you need. I've had absolutely no problems with the tubes I bought online for that amp.

Just looked at the boxes those tubes came in. I bought them from The Tube Store dot com.
Awesome, I'm probably just running to guitar center tomorrow since it's an emergency.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong