is it possible?
im asking because i want to try thicker strings because im the vibrato guy and i love the control you can get from thicker strings.. so im asking. is it possible? and with a floyd rose
Of course it is but you will almost certainly have to do a setup on the Floyd (maybe add an extra spring) and the truss rod - in that order.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I did it for a while (2-3 months), definitely possible. I wanted a wound 3rd string, but I didn't realize they were quite so heavy. I gotta say, it *sounds* way better (to me). Unless you want a Jimmy Page, Can't Quit You Baby type of tone, almost everything sounds better with thicker strings. Also, sometimes you lose some of the attack on your 6th string. Bending gets tough, though, so be prepared for that.
Usually with a floyd rose you'd want a light gauge. I sure wouldn't tune to standard on a fixed bridge using 12 gauge strings. Even with extra springs the STRINGS will win the tugging. Go for 10s or maybe 11 gauges but 12s would be too thick and have too much tension that they might even break and/or turn your neck into a bow.
I use 12's on my Tempest in standard, it's fine. You just have to get your guitar set up for it.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

I love 11s for standard but 12s seems a bit heavy.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
SRV used 13's in open E, standard, and e-flat.

As long as you get it set up, you'll be fine.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Yeah, to be honest a lot of people exaggerate when they say that thick strings that arn't tuned down will bow your neck, ofcourse, that can happen, but it probably won't.

Get your guitar set up for it and there will be no problems, apart from the obvious fact that the strings will be harder to bend.

Also, for me it would make more sense to use thinner strings for vibrato stuff, just sayin'.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.