Hey all,

I'm looking to definitely replace the Power transformer (tan waxy substance leaks after it's on for a while = not good) and possibly the output transformer on my old Gibson GA5. Now, i'm just not quite sure what the specs should be on the replacements. I know I could wing it and find something close, but I would like some educated advice on this.

Here's my amp schematic: http://www.0rigami.com/gg/GA-5.pdf

Thanks!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
the ga-5 is basically an epi VJ clone. the exact same transformers are used in the epi.

the PT has a secondary voltage of 260v and the OT has secondary taps for 4 and 8 ohm loads. model numbers:

for the PT: GA5P
for the OT: GA5-O (or GA5-0)

my VJ schem doesnt have any other info than that. just research the VJ's OT specs i guess.

from what I've heard, hammond makes a replacement that sounds far better than the stock OT.
Thanks. IIRC, a while ago (before my hiatus from guitar), I was recommended a Hammond transformer on the Weber forums, and I thought the price was right.

I guess i'll try one of those.

Oh, and what would the difficulty of replacing those transformers on my own? I'm no tech, but if it's as simple as soldering the new wires where the old wires were, or is it more complex than that?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
just solder the new wires in place of the old ones. you should get a diagram with the hammond so you'll have to actually do some thinking, but it's still easy-peasy.

be warned, the hammond OT is ALOT bigger than the stock OT. you'll have to figure out how to mount it.

also i gotta say this. be careful inside a tube amp. even when unplugged, the caps inside still hold a hefty charge. in SS maps, this isnt the case. ss devices continue to conduct after you kill the power. tubes stop conducting after the cathodes cool down.