Now, I own kind of a junky guitar (but she has served me very very well). It's an Ibanez GAX70, 22 frets, (9-42 gauge strings). Now, my issue is, that I'd like to take a crack at "I Will Not Bow" by Breaking Benjamin, but the tuning is in flippin' Drop Bb which is insanly low. Everytime I tune that low, not only do my strings feel like they're gonna fall off, but it also sounds crappy. Is there anything I can do to make this playable, or am I just screwed?

Thanks, guys!
"This nightmare's gonna break me.
Please, Daylight, save me..."
Um.... 9-42 in drop A#? No thank you. I say you need at LEAST 10-52's to get a usable amount of tension, but if you want a good amount of tension, I say you look for some 11's or something
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Use thicker strings, 9s are like spaghetti by drop c. Depending on preference anything from 11s to 13s will work, though you'll need to re-setup your guitar. Your intonation will be ****ed up fo sho.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Here's what you need to know about playing in a low tuning which most guys seem to ignore.
You will need thicker strings and know your guitar's scale length.

First, you need a baritone guitar (a guitar with a longer neck). Second slap some 13 gauge strings on it.
I'd recommend at least 12's for that tuning. 9's are waaaaay too thin for that.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Exactly, you definitely need .11 or .10 at the very least.

OR

Better yet, just do what i did and get a 7-string...absolutely, 100% can't go wrong. Got a Schecter Hellraiser C-7 and it's hands down the nicest guitar i've ever owned or played. It's a bit of an expenditure, but it's probably the best investment i could recommend to any guitarist. Some people aren't into them but it sounds like you're into the sorts of things that may require that sort of low-end and the best part is you're not robbing the high end either.

That may be a bit drastic for just asking about a song, but i seriously couldn't recommend them enough; brilliant tools for any musician
https://lysithea.bandcamp.com

"I have seen the dark universe yawning
Where the black planets roll without aim,
Where they roll in their horror unheeded,
Without knowledge or lustre or name."
It's not really worth it... I have a fixed, tune-o-matic bridge, so different strings in knid of a no-go.
"This nightmare's gonna break me.
Please, Daylight, save me..."
Quote by DaysofGrace
It's not really worth it... I have a fixed, tune-o-matic bridge, so different strings in knid of a no-go.

What? That's the exact kind of bridge you want if you're gonna change strings.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
um dude guaranteed the guy plays a baritone guitar that come standard with a Bb tuning. Without a neck thats at least 26 inches long you can forget about it.
Quote by DaysofGrace

If you don't want to use heavier strings and setup your guitar again, you basically only have 2 options: buy a 7-string, or buy a baritone guitar.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
You prob have a 25.5" scale. I'd go 12-16-22w-36-46-60, but this is very general and would be only a starting point. My 25.5 Ibanez is in A standard and strung 13-17-24w-38-48-62. For dropped Bb a set of "not even slinky" will get you close, but the 3rd will be difficult to bend and the 6th will be too thin. I swap those strings for the 22w and 60 and run B standard on a 24.75" guitar. Baritones are cool, but the shorter scales allow you to run thicker strings for a given tension, which is one of the reasons detuning can sound "brutal" or "sick". A butt load of the more extreme acts we look up to run standard 6 string guitars. Just watch that intonation, and you might have to dial in a little higher action if the bigger set starts fretting out, especially on that low string.
Btw, I took this to the extreme in an experiment on my ESP. E standard (not that E, the one below it) 80 on the bottom. haha- it's now a bass, but p.mutes are ridiculously heavy sounding. Just a little (a lot) muddy though. Thinking that baritone guitar in F# might be more usable.
Quote by rockgodman
um dude guaranteed the guy plays a baritone guitar that come standard with a Bb tuning. Without a neck thats at least 26 inches long you can forget about it.

You don't need a baritone to play in low tunings, it just helps. I did it on an old superstrat copy with 11s.

TC: either get thicker strings or buy a new guitar for it.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
Strings are huge but I wouldn't go past an .11 unless like others said you want to reset up your guitar. Another huge factor is your pickups. A lot of lower end pickups really don't pick up a lot of range from the strings especially when you drop tune. Active pickups are awesome for drop tuning (emgs(61,81 or 81,85's) or seymour duncans(blackouts) are probably the best bet).
For I Will Not Bow, the guys of BB use Baritones. I don't have one so I just put some 12-56 on my guitar and it sounds and plays fine whenever I play the song(Or anything else by them in Bb for that matter). I remember when I used 9-42.......

Anyway, just use puts those on and you'll be fine. Either that or get a Baritone.

It also plays fine for me in Standard also with those strings on. It is just really hard to bend in Standard so it will take some time to get used to it.
Quote by its_alive
It's just like breaking up with a girl.
Explain that you'd really love to help take care of the baby, but you have to move to South Africa.
I love BB and their music , but i dont play their music only because of their stupid tuning ...
and you should try heavy gauge strings for low tunings. i have that tuning from the bottom of my heart seriously .
Buy one of these.
http://www.morpheusefx.com/pages/droptune.html

That will get you to Bb not only instantly, without any software editing, bigger strings or tuning, but works with everything, from Tune 0 matts to FR Trems. You can probably get a good deal at a GC during this Labor day weekend sale.
Recent Activity: Powerslave solo cover
Gear:

Fender Starcaster
Ibanez RG5EX1(sold off because asians Edge III)
Dean Vendetta 2.0

Line 6 Spider IV 30
Quote by xkreedx
Strings are huge but I wouldn't go past an .11 unless like others said you want to reset up your guitar. Another huge factor is your pickups. A lot of lower end pickups really don't pick up a lot of range from the strings especially when you drop tune. Active pickups are awesome for drop tuning (emgs(61,81 or 81,85's) or seymour duncans(blackouts) are probably the best bet).

True that. The stock whatevers lose definition quick when tuning really low. I like Invaders. Always like 81s, too. Wanting try the blackouts. Anybody swap their 81 for a Backout?
Quote by DaysofGrace

That makes no sense, whatsoever...Now, if you said that about a floyd rose, I'd give you a little bit more credibility, but what you're talking about is, sorry, just laziness. There is virtually nothing stopping you from swapping strings other than yourself.