Poll: Is it important to have genres?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is it important to have genres?
Yes
88 77%
No
26 23%
Voters: 114.
Page 1 of 2
So in culture, we like to associate ourselves to particular images.

Shut the hell, up. Yes, you do. You can stop pretending that you are an individual at least for the sake of this thread.

To help with these sub-cultures, we create genres. Genres effect every aspect of media. Television, film, literature, video games, art, music, and a bunch of other stuff. There is no arguing that.

But ultimately are these labels important? Sure, they help specify. Imagine telling your friend about a fantastic album, you can say "Yeah, I heard this great bluegrass album." and your friend would have an okay idea of what to expect from the conversation.

However, genres often help close the mind. People get so caught up in the idea of "horror" films or "RPG" video games. But thats completely understandable due to people having a better chance at enjoying something similar to what they already like.

You can weigh the pros and cons yourself. But tell me, are genres really important?
Although strictly adhering to them and stereotyping by them is silly, I do think it's important because it makes things much more easier to comprehend, convey, group, and so on.
Arms Of Empire
^ ^ ^ Band I am involved in ^ ^ ^
Please check it out? ;D

Axe FX II + EBMM JP6 + Jackson DK2S
I can't find a way to explain how dumb this is, but just no. Just because the style of music, game, or whatever won't be labeled doesn't mean it people will enjoy it more.

I don't even know where to start...
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Yes, I like to know what a person is talking about. 'Music' can mean Of Montreal or Converge, I like having a general idea.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
I don't think anybody's creative output has been stifled by having their music labeled in such a manner. It only inhibits close-minded people from exploring different musical avenues.
Quote by BigBigWater
Although strictly adhering to them and stereotyping by them is silly, I do think it's important because it makes things much more easier to comprehend, convey, group, and so on.

This, precisely.
i think genres tend to do more harm than good. it shuts people off when you say i know of a great band and then they ask you wat type of music they play and often if you say metal/alternative/pop/rap/anything unless they like that genre they already judge it as bad. im as guilty as anyone else is. when people tell me a rapper is great i tend to dismiss them and give much greater weight to a band people describe as rock or w.e even if the rapper is more creative/innovative etc just because i think that i tend to like more of the latter
So that we can discuss music without loads of confusion, yes.
So that we can pick a particular "genre" and follow it, no.
Quote by skyhawk714
i think genres tend to do more harm than good. it shuts people off when you say i know of a great band and then they ask you wat type of music they play and often if you say metal/alternative/pop/rap/anything unless they like that genre they already judge it as bad. im as guilty as anyone else is. when people tell me a rapper is great i tend to dismiss them and give much greater weight to a band people describe as rock or w.e even if the rapper is more creative/innovative etc just because i think that i tend to like more of the latter

If you don't like metal because of the screaming or you don't like rap because of the black or whatever, just because it isn't labeled doesn't mean it will change anything. They don't like screaming, nothing will change that.
Follow me on Twitter
for the sake of categorization, yeah. I mean, you want to find a movie under horror, bam there is Paranormal Activity (for example)

music, not so much.
Quote by metal4eva_22
So that we can discuss music without loads of confusion, yes.
So that we can pick a particular "genre" and follow it, no.

this.
Quote by brandon369852
I can't find a way to explain how dumb this is, but just no. Just because the style of music, game, or whatever won't be labeled doesn't mean it people will enjoy it more.

I don't even know where to start...

Please explain.

The poll is pretty evenly divided, so it must not be such a dumb question after all.
i think the question is irrelevant. it's not like someone someday just up and went, "we should categorize everything!" we all categorize things subconsciously as a way for our human minds to cope with the myriads of shit to do and see, so it seems pointless to contemplate the absence of genres.

if you want to talk about how open-minded you are or want to be or think everyone ought to be, just say so!
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I use to just listen to one genre, as to me it seemed like the only "good one".

Several years later I've learnt to break down the walls of genres and just listen to something if I like it, or explore things I hadn't heard before. It's not good when people judge stuff just by what genre it gets called. There's many amazing things you can miss out on if you don't respect all forms of the art in question. That said, I don't believe there is any one person in the world that would like, say, every band in a particular genre.

I'd agree that genres are useful for giving someone a rough idea of what they could be seeing/hearing, but to completely archetype something by it....just no.

All this said, I don't know what to vote for.
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
i think the question is irrelevant. it's not like someone someday just up and went, "we should categorize everything!" we all categorize things subconsciously as a way for our human minds to cope with the myriads of shit to do and see, so it seems pointless to contemplate the absence of genres.

if you want to talk about how open-minded you are or want to be or think everyone ought to be, just say so!

Irrelevant to what? It is the title of this thread.

There is a reason that I didn't give my opinion. Besides after re-reading my original post I believe that I may have advocated the importance of genres.
Genres are a part of language, they're important to the way we see the world, they're necessary and they'll never stop existing. The only negative effect they can have is if people have the wrong attitude to them. And if they do, it's their loss, to be honest.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Sep 3, 2010,
Quote by JacobTheMe
Please explain.

The poll is pretty evenly divided, so it must not be such a dumb question after all.

You aren't closed minded because of the labels put on anything. If you do not like screaming, it doesn't matter the label put on it, you will not listen to it. If you do not like being scared from watching a movie, you won't watch it no matter what section it's under. So saying labeling something puts a restriction on it and people won't listen or watch something because of the label is dumb, because they won't do it because of the style, not the label.

And it's because everyone here believes genres and limiting oneself to a genre is pointless(which it is) but altogether getting rid of that system destroys all organization and ways of locating certain types of music, which is dumb. People who say music is music is almost dumb too, because sure all music is music, but there are different aspects of different types that I would not categorize bluegrass with trance/dance.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by JacobTheMe
Irrelevant to what? It is the title of this thread.

There is a reason that I didn't give my opinion. Besides after re-reading my original post I believe that I may have advocated the importance of genres.

I think he meant to say it's a silly question to ask because we as humans are basically naturally programmed to categorize things in ways that make it easier to distinguish and interact with.
Arms Of Empire
^ ^ ^ Band I am involved in ^ ^ ^
Please check it out? ;D

Axe FX II + EBMM JP6 + Jackson DK2S
I voted before reading.. I would have voted yes, based on your post/question, but in general I think that people put wayy too much into genres.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
feel like the question is sort of incomplete... important to what? the answer will vary.

i voted no, simply because they're not important to me. i don't organize my music that way. i tend to just categorize it more by feels/moods/vibes than "genres".
<3 u
I hate the people who say everything should just fall under one single category. Genres are important.

It reminds me of a concept from a book I'm currently reading. It's not a terrible thing to hate or dislike certain things, or in this case, genres of music. Because that way, you can easily narrow down what satisfies your taste. The book used a restaurant menu as an example, but I'll use music. There are a lot of different styles of music, some widely recognized, some not. But because there are so many, you need to cut down on the music you hate, say the manufactured Radio Disney music, or any style of metal if you hate it. Now that you know you hate that, you can figure out what you do like and proceed froward.

Yes, we need genres.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Labels are really important. It helps us to keep organized.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
I'm not a teenager, I very much so do not try to dedicate myself to an image, brah.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
It's a double-edged sword a clever artist can dance with. People like AC/DC will forever be everyone's favourite "Rock the night away" band, but not really that much else. On the other hand, you can find a Pink Floyd song for every mood. If you can cross multiple genres as acts like Queen, David Bowie, Rush, the aforementioned Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, and countless others have for decades, the genre classification is a very useful tool. It can help label the album you indulged your inner folk singer, the album you went crazy with the shred, so on so on. It's just a tool you have to think to use painlessly is all.

Did that make sense?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I don't associate with any particular image... I usually have too great of a distaste for other people who associate themselves with the same image. For example, metal is my favorite genre of music but I find most metalheads to be pricks. This may just stem from my dislike of people in general though.

But as for the rest of the post, genres are important.
Genres are just categorization.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by Just Andrew
I hate the people who say everything should just fall under one single category. Genres are important.

It reminds me of a concept from a book I'm currently reading. It's not a terrible thing to hate or dislike certain things, or in this case, genres of music. Because that way, you can easily narrow down what satisfies your taste. The book used a restaurant menu as an example, but I'll use music. There are a lot of different styles of music, some widely recognized, some not. But because there are so many, you need to cut down on the music you hate, say the manufactured Radio Disney music, or any style of metal if you hate it. Now that you know you hate that, you can figure out what you do like and proceed froward.

Yes, we need genres.

That's a terrible example. That's precisely what genres shouldn't be used for.

You should like or dislike a piece of music because of the way it sounds, not the genre it is associated with.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by Vornik
That's a terrible example. That's precisely what genres shouldn't be used for.

You should like or dislike a piece of music because of the way it sounds, not the genre it is associated with.
...The way music sounds is what genres are.

EDIT: Perhaps I'm not being clear enough. I think they're important because they're a clear way to differentiate between what you like and what you dislike. Simply an organizational tool. None of this "naw, man, music shouldn't fall under a category, man" stuff.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Last edited by Just Andrew at Sep 3, 2010,
Quote by Just Andrew
...The way music sounds is what genres are.

To be fair, if we're talking about liking music, the things that distinguish them as a certain genre are pretty arbitrary. People tend to like the emotion, memorability, catchiness, coherence etc in music, rather than what vocal styles or instruments are used. There's no genre that contains all the music a person will consider emotional sounding.
Last edited by whalepudding at Sep 3, 2010,
They're great to have and probably even necessary, people are just doingitrong.

I couldn't imagine turning to my favorite radio station to find that genres have been eliminated. It'd be my luck they'd play some Weezy and then 4m30s for the next song, and then Devourment would come on and scare my dick off.

Instead of using it to keep music sorted neatly in order for you to easily find what you're looking for, people use them as another excuse to argue.
Quote by whalepudding
To be fair, if we're talking about liking music, the things that distinguish them as a certain genre are pretty arbitrary. People tend to like the emotion, memorability, catchiness, coherence etc in music, rather than what vocal styles or instruments are used. There's no genre that contains all the music a person will consider emotional sounding.
Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata

A well known piece of work. I wouldn't argue with you if you were to say that there were deep emotional themes underlying beneath the instrumentation. However, I'd still probably call this a "Classical" piece.
Quote by Teh Forest King
Quote by Just Andrew
Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata

A well known piece of work. I wouldn't argue with you if you were to say that there were deep emotional themes underlying beneath the instrumentation. However, I'd still probably call this a "Classical" piece.

I'm not sure what your point is.

What I meant was that "the way music sounds", when referring to what people like about it, is different to "the way music sounds" when referring to what divides it into genres. The thing that makes me like Moonlight Sonata is the powerful melodies and the emotional themes you mentioned. The thing that makes it classical is that it's a solo piece for the piano in a sonata form. If someone said "I like it because it's in the sonata form, and what I want out of music is adherence to the sonata form", that person would be an idiot.
Quote by necrosis1193
It's a double-edged sword a clever artist can dance with. People like AC/DC will forever be everyone's favourite "Rock the night away" band, but not really that much else. On the other hand, you can find a Pink Floyd song for every mood. If you can cross multiple genres as acts like Queen, David Bowie, Rush, the aforementioned Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, and countless others have for decades, the genre classification is a very useful tool. It can help label the album you indulged your inner folk singer, the album you went crazy with the shred, so on so on. It's just a tool you have to think to use painlessly is all.

Did that make sense?

I think you rambled a wee bit , but you made a good point with the Pink Floyd. There is no way you could tie them to one genre.

So yes, genres are useful for finding similar music I suppose, but defining yourself by just one genre is stupid.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
sort of. Really mostly for retailers since they tend to group CDs by genre and then sub-organize it by alphabetical order. This helps people narrow down similarish styles between bands they like and new music they're looking for that had the same feel.

yea yea we get that every band is unique with their own unique sound, but genres help to give you an idea, based on experience, of what you should somewhat expect.
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Page 1 of 2