Hello there,

I have a john petrucci bfr 7 and i want to know which gauge would be good for the tuning Ab Db Gb B E Ab Db? I was thinking either 11 or 12 gauge..not too sure what size for the low Ab or B if you wanna call it. .62 maybe? im trrying to tune down low now but the strings are buzzing a lot and and are pretty loose. will i need to adjust anything for that?

im reading up on how to fix inotation so that shoulden't be a problem after i restring. id rather not spend so much money at music store when i can learn and do it myself rofl. i really like GHS boomers there cheap and sound great!

all the help with this is greatly appreciated. thanks again
Im using ernie ball power slinkys.
I tune down 1 step so they should suffice for your guitar... do you know what scale your guitar is?
Mines a 26inch so these are needed to make them tighter for mine.
Only adjustments you might need would be intonation and possibly action depending on how low it is at the moment.
Scale Length:
25-1/2" (64.8 cm) http://www.music-man.com/instruments/guitars/john-petrucci-bfr-7.html

from the erinie ball website. those are the specs for my guitar.

so i won't need to adjust anything inside the back plate of the guitar? just buy the strings. restring and fix inotation.

does the nanotech elixer strings come as a 7 string pack or must i buy the separate .64?

i'm going to be playing a lot of between the buried and me , heavy metal style of music.
Last edited by doobees at Sep 3, 2010,
i bought the elixers today. they dident have a 64 only a 60 so i went with that.

my low Ab is loose and im getting some buzz playing open and chords is there a way i can increase the tightness of the 1 string or the area? ive already moved a spring leaning onto my bass strings. seems to fix some of it, is there any other way in do this?
Quote by doobees
i bought the elixers today. they dident have a 64 only a 60 so i went with that.

my low Ab is loose and im getting some buzz playing open and chords is there a way i can increase the tightness of the 1 string or the area? ive already moved a spring leaning onto my bass strings. seems to fix some of it, is there any other way in do this?

/www.juststrings.com/

Try these guys. They have an excellent selection. Plus, the offer the option to buy strings individually.
yeah ive already looked at that site. i diden't feel like waiting on delivery rofl. but for next time for sure. as for the string tension anyway to make the bass strings tighter?
Raising your bridge saddles will tighten them up, but your action will suffer. Other than that, the only thing that really works is getting the correct gauge :
okay. do you know what type of bit i need to tighten them? looks like a small circle almost. or is there another way to tighten them?
Sorry, don't have any trem'd guitars myself, so I can't really help you with the specifics >_>
NP. i think im supposed to use a 1.5mm allan key.. now to find 1 of those...