One piece of gear I have no real experience with is octavers. People seem to like the EHX but I want more suggestions. I only really want it to shift an octave up for fast solos. I want it to do that well, other features don't interest me.
So what's your favorite for that situation?

PS: I am more than happy to build my own so feel free to recommend kits or even just PCB suppliers.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 3, 2010,
A lot of people seem to like the Foxrox Octron. I don't have any need for an octaver, so I don't have any experience with them, but they're meant to be pretty great.
That does look like it would do just what I want, thanks.
I've been looking at some circuits and they just seem to use some form of full wave rectifier arrangement to get frequency doubling. Frequency halving is more complex but I don't even want that. I guess I'd be just be being lazy if I didn't try to build one myself.
Tre simple.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i owned a digitech XP-100 back in the day. not bad, it had a BUNCH more options than just oct up, but you can use it as such. the XP-100 wasn't a bad unit, but it was steppy sounding at times when using the expression pedal, and like most octave pedals, it got crazy busy with chords.

i own a EHX HOG now, i was attracted to it cuz it sounds much smoother than most ocatve style pedals i tried. the HOG also has the 'harmonizer' thing going on with it too, which can make it sound quite lovely. it has lots of bells and whistles, but important stuff is that the tracking is dead nuts on, when you play 'simple chords' it actually sounds a bit musical (rather than 2 freqs fighting for dominance), and sweeps are SMOOTH cuz it is analog.

personally cath, i'd build one. i would prefer one with oct down, 5th up, oct up, and 2 oct up. for your purposes i'd try to get that 5th up and oct up and maybe a 2 oct up. sometimes that oct up just isn't enough when i am playing lower notes and sometimes a solo calls for that 5th (and it sounds f'ing sweet).

one more thing i highly recommend to include in there is a low pass filter. a low pass filter on a ocatve setup sounds absolutely thick, i'd make it foot controlled with an expression pedal (with an octave pedal a LP acts like a much more effective wah, octave pedals seem to 'swallow' wah's, but the LP is dramatic enough to be heard and tame some of shrill high end you can sometimes get). besides, a LP should be insanely easy to install in the circuit, even if it is foot controlled by an external expression pedal.

i also recommend running seperate dry/wet outs, cuz running through 2 seperate amps for wet/dry on your octaver is a very usable option on octave pedals, especially when running distortion as the 'wet' amp tends to lose too much tonality with a bit of distortion on a busy solo.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 3, 2010,
What I am trying to get is double tracking like on AC/DC's version of Baby Please Don't Go. They actually do real double tracking an octave higher but short of hiring another guitarist that's capable of playing everything properly (and that would be serious overkill) an octaver would be the best solution. Worth a try anyway.
I don't really want to use two amps. My Marshall will be used by the rhythm guitarist so that's out, I guess I could use my Champ and mike it up but that would be a bit of a pita for the few times I'd actually need it. My Abbey rig pretty much defines my sound, I'd like to keep it simple. I've honed that rig down to perfection over quite a few years of playing.
Any suggestions on a good PCB? Tonepad have a couple but there are some things lacking that would require a fair bit of jiggery pokery to get around. Would be easier to use a matrix board and build it from scratch really. There must be a good one out there somewhere. Perhaps I should ask on GB&C.
Tbh it's such a simple thing to double the frequency of a signal I could probably design my own pretty simply. Could be fun in and of itself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
oh well, those are all things i like having with my octaver. but if the application is that specific then just go conventional. i was thinking the abbey dry and the marshall wet would have sounded sick with the octaver though.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Well if I use the Marshall the other guy would have to use his VS8080 - and you know how much I hate those things. The main reason I bought the JCM900 was so I'd never have to play with somebody using a Valvestate or a Bandit ever again.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by forsaknazrael
The Octron sounds perfect for you.

I haven't seen anyone reverse it yet, but I've seen gutshots. Very very complicated.

It does look like a good one. The complicated part would be the octave down part I'd say. Reading the manual for it does suggest that it's pretty involved, the octave up part is just plug and play, octave down needs tweaking and being careful how you play.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Try freestompboxes.org and see what they have if you want to have a go at building it. Otherwise the Octron is the shit.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Try freestompboxes.org and see what they have if you want to have a go at building it. Otherwise the Octron is the shit.

Will do. I do prefer to make things myself if I can.
I'm not really a consumerist, I far prefer the satisfaction of doing it yourself, whether that be building it or repairing cast offs, and that goes for pretty much everything. I rarely buy new stuff, in fact most of my gear is stuff I've picked up for nix and repaired. It's amazing what you can do with the cast offs of society. I always say, "why slave away at a job to pay for something you can do yourself for next to nothing?" Life's to short to waste it working for the man. Let others do that and I'll just take advantage of their wasteful behaviour.
My ex-wife's mother once told her jokingly, "marry a tech and you'll never own anything new"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Agreed. Building and fixing things is loads of fun. Then tweaking those things to to exactly what you want is even better. Taking a schematic and turning it into a functioning item you can use over and over again generates one of the greatest satisfactions ever IMO. Occasionally I'll find a broken pedal on Craigslist, fix it and sell it for a nice profit too. I think the most involved repair I've ever had to do was replace a wah pot in a broken Wylde Wah. Then there was the TS808 RI I picked up for $40 since it wasn't working only to open it and find out that the problem was a cold joint on the tip of the input jack had broken and the wire was loose. A second long solder joint later and I've got $110 in my pocket.

^They probably have others though. Which reminds me; I need to go browse and plan some more builds. Building ODs and fuzzes is too quick of a process.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Sep 4, 2010,
I picked up my Morley for $20 because it was faulty. 5 minutes with a soldering iron and it's as good as new. I picked up an ART Multiverb really cheap because it was noisy, that was a dry joint too. I have a Perreaux 2150 sitting there I got for free that needs new power Mosfets. That will cost a few bob to fix but it's a classic that's worth bucketloads, oders of magnitude more than the cost of the FETs. It will probably end up as a bass amp power amp that I will run a valve preamp into - which I will also build myself.
I pity people that don't know how to fix and build things themselves, they are seriously missing out and condemning themselves to a life of wage slavery.
As Carl Sagan said, "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology."
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I picked up my Morley for $20 because it was faulty. 5 minutes with a soldering iron and it's as good as new. I picked up an ART Multiverb really cheap because it was noisy, that was a dry joint too. I have a Perreaux 2150 sitting there I got for free that needs new power Mosfets. That will cost a few bob to fix but it's a classic that's worth bucketloads, oders of magnitude more than the cost of the FETs. It will probably end up as a bass amp power amp that I will run a valve preamp into - which I will also build myself.
I pity people that don't know how to fix and build things themselves, they are seriously missing out and condemning themselves to a life of wage slavery.
As Carl Sagan said, "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology."

I got my Morley for $35
One broken leg on a cap, replaced that and it goes again.
boss has some pretty sweet octavers/pitch shifters. look at the ps5 or something like that. they are a little expensive though, maybe you can check that pedal second-handed.

you do get what you pay for with the ps5. your choice of course
I'm feeling a wee bit stupid right about now. I just realised that pitch shifting is one of the options in the pitch section of my quadraverb. Well, d'oohhh. I've only ever used the chorus and flange in that section. So here I am with a quality rack pitch shifter looking at building a cheap knockoff.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification