On the recommendation of a friend on UG (instagata0), I went out to my local music store and checked out the Vox AmPlugs. My real estate agent came around and said that one of my housemates was bitching about noise so I've delayed retubing my 333XL and headed out to find something a little quieter to tide me over. And after dealing with the rudest salesman I've ever met in my life (got annoyed when I asked if they had a demo model, I picked up a Gibson LP Studio to test through it and he goes 'do you know how much that guitars worth, don't even touch it' so I got an Epiphone instead, and told me 'this is the only model we have', despite the fact that I could see 3 other models behind him), he let me try out the AC30 one which was kinda nice but wanted a little more gain so I handed it back to a different salesman and tested out another one and ended up going home with it - and had the friendlier salesman ring it through for me.

Ended up buying the metal one... the nicer salesman took $30 off the price for me. I may also buy the classic rock one or possibly the lead one in the near future.

Review - You could be forgiven for overlooking these things for being a bit of a novelty, and that's okay, they're kind of designed that way. But it does what it does and it does it damn well. I plugged my headphones in and was completely amazed by the quality of sound I was getting out of this tiny box with three knobs and 2 jacks on it. It's a very compressed sound, which doesn't bother me as I like to use a fair bit of compression anyway, and it doesn't have to sound amazing... it's an inexpensive practice tool. Doesn't clean up all that well, but it's the metal one - it's not meant to, they have an acoustic and an AC30 one for that. But you can turn the gain right down and lower your guitars volume knob and get a decent clean sound. You can get a decent enough hard rock sound when turning the gain up a little, and if you turn the gain past about 6 you get some nice, US-flavoured metal tones. I turned the tone down just under half-way and found a lead tone I was really happy with. Plugged my iPod into it and sat there and played through it for hours, possibly one of the best purchases I have ever made. It's portable, and sounds great for the size and price... I highly recommend it. It does seem a little fragile, but for the price they are... if it breaks, you can go buy another one, and it shouldn't break unless you mistreat it.

May put some clips up in the coming days if anyone wants them.
I used to own the Metal one before I lost it. I bought the AC30 one after that. I miss the Metal one. I don't play any metal at all, but in headphones it did the classic rock thing a lot better I found. Strange, but neat rig.
Awesome. I have the Metal, Classic Rock and Clean one. They are very cool when it comes to going on campus and just chillen next to a tree with your headphones and guitar.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
They've just brought out a new Joe Satriani signature Amplug, I wouldn't mind picking one of them up.
HNAD!
I have the AmPlug Lead. It's all I ever need in that whole line of AMPlugs.

Has built in delay effect too.
I have the AC30 one. Love it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
I have the AC30 one. Love it.

Me also. You'd need a very good imagination to think it was an actual AC30 but it is certainly useable. I use mine all the time.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Awesome man. I really want one. You say he took 30 off the price, aren't those 40 dollars to start?

HNAD!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
Awesome man. I really want one. You say he took 30 off the price, aren't those 40 dollars to start?

HNAD!

He's in Australia.

I got mine from an ebay store in Australia for $40 though. Australian retailers are thieves. They normally charge more for stuff than you can buy and have mailed to you directly from US stores. They complain that the internet is hurting their business - I wonder why? Serves them right I say. If I can buy from a foreign retailer for less including postage than they can get from a wholesaler and add a fair profit then something is seriously wrong and they either need to fix their supply channels or stop being greedy arseholes.

But - what did you end up paying for it TS?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I got it for $59. Normally I'd buy stuff like this from eBay, and I despise buying stuff from my local music store other than strings because, as you say, they're thieves, and the staff are arrogant jerks, but I really couldn't wait for it to get posted it out to me because I'm going away tomorrow and the best eBay price I could find was about $50-ish anyway, so I was happy to pay an extra $9 and have it today.

I buy all my pedals and stuff from places like eBay and guitareffectspedals.com lol
Quote by slickerthnsleek
I got it for $59. Normally I'd buy stuff like this from eBay, and I despise buying stuff from my local music store other than strings because, as you say, they're thieves, and the staff are arrogant jerks, but I really couldn't wait for it to get posted it out to me because I'm going away tomorrow and the best eBay price I could find was about $50-ish anyway, so I was happy to pay an extra $9 and have it today.

I buy all my pedals and stuff from places like eBay and guitareffectspedals.com lol

So they were originally asking $89 for it???? Outrageous!!

PS: I buy my strings off ebay too, I get them for quite a bit cheaper than in the shops delivered to my door.
This is the ebay store I usually buy them from if you are interested:
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Jouelline-Strings?_rdc=1
They've been really reliable.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
PS: I buy my strings off ebay too, I get them for quite a bit cheaper than in the shops delivered to my door.

I get my strings off ebay too
I got a 10 pack of D'addario 9's for $15 more than I could get a 3 pack of them from a store
I just got the Classic Rock one not too long ago, I plug it into my rack setup (delay then poweramp) and 2x12 cab and it's pretty beastly. I know that's not what it's meant for but right now I don't have a preamp and it's definitely better than nothing.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Last edited by MortifiedLizard at Sep 3, 2010,
Quote by Cathbard
So they were originally asking $89 for it???? Outrageous!!

I'm friends with the guys at the store I go to, I can get packs of gibson strings for 5 bucks.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate