I've seen a lot of these amp builds floating around, and I could use a small practice amp, so i was wondering what you guys would recommend for a kit?

I like "dirty cleans" and cleans when I play and wouldn't mind a valve junior style amp with like 1 knob. although some thing with a bass mid treble, would be great too. Looking for cheap stuff as well. and stuff with a decent manual/some kind of walk trough online.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Hard to go past a Fender Champ for ease of building. Three valves including the rectifier. Can't get much simpler than that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Adding a tonestack to a Champ or VJ style amp isn't too hard. Though you should be aware that adding a tone stack causes insertion loss, and more controls means more loss of gain. If you want a 3 control tonestack in a Champ, you would probably need another gain stage to make up for the gain you lose.

A site with some info on simple tonestacks
http://amps.zugster.net/articles/tone-stacks
Another thought is to use a buffer to help minimize losses in the tone stack.

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/mosfet_folly/mosfetfolly.htm This is an easy way to add a buffer, two resistors and a MosFET can minimize losses well. A good way to figure out the 2nd resistor is to take the voltage that the preceding stage is fed by, and multiply it by 2/3. Then divide that by .002. If you use a MosFET to buffer the TS, make sure that it can handle at least 4 or 5mA minimum.

A tonestack will still have losses, but a buffer can help. If you want to use another tube, you could design a cathode follower stage to use it as a buffer, then use the other triode in the preamp tube as a gain recovery stage. You may have to get another PT to feed the tube's heaters, or get a separate small dual secondary PT, though the voltages may not match up with your amp's.
Quote by Cathbard
Hard to go past a Fender Champ for ease of building. Three valves including the rectifier. Can't get much simpler than that.
Hmm, I think with most guitar pickups being pretty powerful these days, they might be able to drive a small power tube. Would be an interesting amp, just one EL84. Could fit that in a larger pedal probly.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I like the look of the amp the pop tart kid posted. "baby Will."

and I will do more research on fender champs.
no sir away a papaya war is on
You haven't specified whether you want to build tube or SS. Thats a pretty important factor. Also, if you want to build tube, +1 on AX84.com. They have a wealth of info, presented realistically, as well as numerous builds. I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread, as I've been meaning to do pretty much the same thing. Maybe even a ultra low output tube headphone (or comp. recording preamp)

If I find anything really useful I'll try to remember to post.
Quote by the_perdestrian
I was originally gonna do a tube, but I came across this thread https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1362098 and I'm gonna try that one. its a simple SS that im gonna cram into a gutted DOD grunge pedal.
That looks great for a first build. Good luck!
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!