Hi, at the moment i have ibanez gax70 and roland cube 15x, in a month im thinking on buying schecter damien elite and in meantime play with cube, is it going to sound ok together?

to get into tubes, later on(maybe at the same time with guitar) im thinking on buying harley benton ga5(dont need any fx with amp) metal muff(for genres i play) and bad monkey(for rock i play) is it gonna be ok?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Lets try this.

Budget?
Genres? (who are your favs)
New or Used?
Home or Gig? (check)
Closest City?
Current Gear? (check)

budget..hmm basically i have already decided on metal muff and bad monkey, now its just the amp, its about 120$ so maybe max 160, no point in going used as in my country trying to find something ok used is nearly impossible.
also if its not much upgrade from my cube, then im sticking with it.
genres-like killswitch engage, deftones, weezer, chevelle, lamb of god, mastodon etc. so all around, with rock in the middle, also some clean stuff.
new, why? written above.
i live in latvia, so gonna be ordering from thomann.de, before that possibly checking that gear in guitar shop(prices arent that good looking for most stuff).
have you had a look at the VHT special 6 bundle from thomann, im being a bit biased towards this amp as it has stolen my heart a bit but from what iv heard and seen it is a great way to get into tube amps

probably being a bit biased as it is my entry into the tube world lol
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Fender Greta + 1x12 Homemade cabinet - For sale PM for details.
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013 - Goldtop
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
thats a bit over my price range and a bit too loud...
anyone has any opinion on harley benton? maybe bugera v5 with metal muff?
The VHT special 6 is definitely not too loud if you're looking for a 5 watt valve amp.
It's only 1 watt more!

I used a 15 watt valve as a practice amp for 2 years. I now use a 30 watt valve as my practice amp!
There is a volume knob remember!

Though to actually help. The Bugera V5 seems a good ide but I hear bad things about Bugera's reliability, like, they sound good but they might screw up on you.
The Harley Benton I hear is pretty good too, but I'd think it's safe to assume htat the VHT special 6 would be a better sounding amp and it's only about £20 over budget from the prices on Thomann (if you're going for combos and not head/cabs).
Plus the VHT Special 6 has two "channels" also (I'm not sure if it's possible to officially call them channels but it has a clean sound and an overdrive sound at the press of a footswitch) meaning that you have that extra tone at your feet (the metal muff might react a bit better with an overdrive channel? I don't know I've only ever heard Dave Weiner's demo of the pedal so I'm not sure what it works best with).
is vht really worth it? could i be able to tell the difference if i havent ever(like just next to me) heard tube amp?
If you've got doubts about it. Then don't do it.
There's no rule that ways you must upgrade, with your wide reaching genre's (spanning all gain levels I mean) it might be worth sticking with the cube until you decide what it is you'll settle on.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by Art13
is vht really worth it? could i be able to tell the difference if i havent ever(like just next to me) heard tube amp?

Not 100% on what you're asking, but yeah you'll hear the difference. It'll probably sound a bit more modern than the Harley Benton, and the fact it has a switchable overdrive...well a tone deaf mouse could tell the difference in it then!
i have the same sorta idea as you, im going for the vht special 6 and the metal muff, but im using a boss sd-1 as an od because thats what iv got atm.

the bugeras sound pretty sweet i was thinking maybe a v22 but there out of stock on thomann and everywhere else over here ther like £150 more
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
mikeb2817
when you get it could you write how you like it together with metal muff?
as the shop i was planning to buy amp from doesn't have the special 6 combo im looking for new amp, ''new'' choices are:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ga5.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/bugera_v5.htm
saying that gonna have them in stock soon
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ga5g112.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/kustom_defender_5h.htm
with HB G112 cab, but there are many mixed reviews, more - than +

http://www.thomann.de/gb/vht_special_6_bundle.htm
with the bundle cab or HB G112

considering my tight budget-160GBP I would prefer the first 3 choices
Don't forget you can switch the Special 6 to 3 watts
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
you should try and save up untill you can afford an amp that doesent need a distortion pedal and by the way the metal muff isnt all its cracked up to be (i have one), decent pedal but it doesent do the kind of music you described very well ive always seen it as a pretty dull pedal.
Gear:

Jackson DKMG pro
Schecter omen exreme 7
Tanglewood Che Guivara mk.1
Brunswick electro acoustic

peavey 412ms
some rack stuff
the ga5, as far as i'm aware, is basically a v2 epiphone valve junior with a tone knob.

I have a v2 valve junior, and I also have a vht special 6. My special 6 is slightly faulty, I think, but it still gives me enough of an idea of what it's like to compare the two.

The vht is superior, in my opinion. The tone is better, it's more versatile, you have two footswitchable separate sounds (not really like two channels- at lower volumes it'll be footswitching between a clean tone, and a bit louder, warmer clean tone, lol), etc. It's a very, very nice amp for the money (mine's being faulty notwithstanding, lol).

However:

They have different voicings- the valve junior/ga5 are dark and british-sounding, while the vht is much more fendery. The vht also has a pretty small cabinet (which is made of mdf) and speaker. Basically, depending on what you use it for, even though the vht is "better", the ga5 might be better for you. Assuming it sounds similar to the valve junior, the ga5 will probably take pedals better- that dark tone warms up and rounds off the harsh edges that a lot of dirt pedals can have. The vht sounds better with pedals into the valve junior cabinet I have, but then that's a lot more money (and the cleans don't sound as good that way). But yeah, if you're going to rely on pedals a lot, the ga5h might be a better idea.

Up to you, really- bear in mind the vht comes in a combo version too, which is a bit cheaper than buying a separate head and cabinet.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Up to you, really- bear in mind the vht comes in a combo version too, which is a bit cheaper than buying a separate head and cabinet.

yeah, that was my first choice, but thomann doesn't have them in stock and won't have for a while.

i doubt that i will need anything better for at least few years, as im pure bedroom player and anything above 5w would get me killed

any more suggestions as now it is between vht, ga5 and ga5h+ HB g112 or maybe the vht cab?
just out of interest, did you ask them when the combo will be back in stock? I need to contact thomann about mine, but there's not much point if they don't have any in stock and won't have for the next ages...

how much do the head and cab come to together (for the gah5 + cab, and for the vht and cab)? At the prices of the combo versions, there aren't too many other options which are likely to be much better, but at the price of the head and cab, there might be, kind of thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
they answered that there is no delivery date.

HB set is about 120GBP, vht one is 160GBP
dang, thanks anyway.

Ok both of those sets aren't that much more than the combo versions... there's probably not that much else that'd be worth considering, unless you want to look into blackheart (I haven't tried it), peavey valveking royal 8 and stuff like that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've decided on ga5h and trying to do some mods on it.

now the question is with the cabs, HB G112 vs HB G112v, is there any difference besides the vintage look? which would sound better?
I use a Harley Benton G112 with my Cornford Roadhouse 30 (til I get a better cab that is) and it does the job, I've gigged with it three times now, it sounds pretty decent for such a cheap cab, it does what it needs to do and it doesn't look overbearing or anything.

But then again the G112v does look pretty snazzy.

I'm fairly certain they're exactly the same except for the look, so if you're into the aesthetics of the V get it!
is the g112 plywood? i thought the v one was plywood and the other wasn't, so if that's true, the v would be worth the extra. Also it matches a lot better.

just checking thomann, it doesn't say if the g112v is plywood or not, but it does say the g112 is mdf (which is not great, unless keeping to a price is extremely important).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
bear in mind i'm not sure if it's plywood or not. I'm going by the fact that the ga5h is a very slightly modified epiphone valve junior, and assuming that the g112v is an epiphone valve junior cab in a different colour. It might not be. you'd want to check with thomann to see if it's plywood or not.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i don't think the kustom defender is ply either, just the baffle board. so you can probably disregard that one.

the VJ one is nice, but yeah it's pretty vintage, warm and mellow-sounding with the stock speaker.

haven't tried the vht one.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
fortunately I was able to scratch a bit more and now looking and this combination:

Bugera V22 + bad monkey + little big muff(for +- sluggish tones) + Hardwire TL2 for brootz as amp itself not gonna cut it + fish n chips.

also I was looking at blackstar ht5 but wasn't too fond of its diode(?) gain, and bugera 333 212, but it seems that 333 isn't good for tight riffing and can't handle sluggish tones, also those 120w would be too much, no point of having huge amp if gonna use it at volume 1 max.

maybe any suggestions/comments? about TL2 it seems that it would be better than metal muff, but not the best available, sadly thomann doesnt carry wampler or barber.
Last edited by Art13 at Oct 7, 2010,
anyone? just making sure i dont make huge mistake, as i wont be able to get anything for atleast a year.
i haven't tried any bugeras, I can't help you there EDIT: nor the ht5
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hiya i dint end up getting the vht special or bugera, i got a blackstar ht-5 instead at a steal of a price...i did however get the metalmuff and it works insanely well on the clean channel (i wouldnt recommend it oging on a od channel) it is very versatile and very nice, but after playing with my ht-5's distortion channel and my sd-1 iv found a tone i really like so the metal muff is surplus to requirement atm lol

unless im playing some pantera in which case it sounds amazing very easy to dial in a good thrash tone
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
nice As long as you're happy, we're happy.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?