Page 1 of 3
inb4 people hating blackstar because they advertise their amplifiers as all-tube while actually using op-amps.

It's a shame it has an ISF control rather than a tone control or something. I always thought its effect was too subtle. Sounds pretty good, though. I'd love to try one.
Damn that sounds nice... Should come in handy for Uni!
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Oosh.
Damn that sounds nice... Should come in handy for Uni!

Yeh that's what I thought...I was really suprised by the sound of it. It was getting pretty high gain for 1watt and it sounds really big and fat.
Quote by sashki
It's £169, though. A bit pricey for a 1-watt. You can get a used HT-5 for just a bit more, which is essentially the same thing.

Agreed, it is a bit pricey which might be the downfall of the Ht-1.
Sounds badass. For how much will they go?

EDIT: Never mind
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
I opened the video in a new tab, heard the intro music and thought "Oh ****. It's Chappers trying to sell something else"
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Sounds really good. Been looking for a better practice amp for a while now and am considering the HT5, but i don't really need 5 Watts, so i'll have to check this out when it comes out
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Chappers is the man (I realise he's not in this video). He's never sold anything to me though, although I'd like an ML-1.

This amp sounds pretty decent to me, especially with the start, it would be a perfect little amp for college/uni or if you live in an apartment or something. But yeah, that does seem a little bit expensive for what it is.

I'm impressed by how it sounds through 'headphones', ofcourse you'd have to have good headphones though.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
I really like it, very good sounding little amp. Price could be lower tho.

(waiting for these 2 usual guys to show up in the thread to tell us that "this isn't valve amp")
eh, sounds really similar to the ht-5, which is kinda lackluster. the cleans sound better than the gain imo, and the ammount of gain on tap + features is what makes the small blackstar amps worthwhile imo.
Best part of that video is after they play the cleans.

"Nice"
"Nice"
"Nice!"

Seriously though, sounds pretty good. Though I still think I'd take a Pod or even a micro cube over it.
The cleans were meh and the drive was alright. Good for a 1 watter...but I think that this is nothing more than a novelty that is going to be over recommended here.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Alright I'm ready. It sounds like a solid state pedal trying to drive a little tube. Just my opinion and it's honestly what I hear.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
it sounds pretty good for a one watt, but idk if id get one. probably not.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
It sounds alright, better than I remember the HT-5.

One thing I noticed, however, is how sterile it sounded. I was expecting a lot more dynamics for a 1 watt amp. A Matamp 4 watt amp with an attenuator has so much more sensitivity and mushiness. This is basically just a Peavey Vypyr with slightly better tone and less features.
To me it sounds like the HT-1 has more gain and a much tighter sound than the HT-5. I didn’t hear the loose low end or the mid hump, so I would say it sounds better than the HT-5.

These things are going to fly off the shelves here in NYC where people need small amps for dorm rooms and apartments.
You guys are impressed by that? I must be more fussy.
"All tube" huh? Why doesn't it sound like it then? He rabbits on about its dynamics but it doesn't sound very dynamic to me.
I still want to see the schematic but I think we all know what we are going to see, judging by that clip, huh?
I'll stick to my Champ clone I think.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by jpnyc
I must be more fussy.

Cork sniffer.
That's not necessary.

I heard little in the way of dynamics in the amp as well.
Quote by jpnyc
I must be more fussy.

Cork sniffer.

Pfft. Or you're a philistine. And are you seriously telling me that you don't sniff the cork when you open a bottle of wine? There's a bloody good reason for sniffing the cork, dimwit. You do it so you don't get a mouthful of rotten, corked wine.
Why is it that people that know nothing about a subject ridicule people that are knowledgeable in that field? There must be some psych explanation, probably rooted in Adler's doctrine of the inferiority complex.

I had to laugh at his statement, "Blackstar completely change small tube amplifier when they did they Ht-5".
They sure did, they turned them into hybrids and kept calling them a tube amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 3, 2010,
Quote by Zoot Allures
I get the feeling there's some serious post processing going on with this video.

When you put the video on a higher quality setting like 720p it looks normal...
in before "I can tell its not a real valve amp and sounds shit because of my incredible golden ears that can hear all even through a youtube video"... oh wait

Quote by slickerthnsleek
I think I want one. They'll probably be $19836 in Australia though.

The Blackstar distributer is pretty decent down here you know... we generally get the gear the same time if not before the US and prices are actually pretty normal.

Guitars:
Charvel USA San Dimas | Jackson Matt Tuck Rhoads | Jackson DK2M Dinky | Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight | Fender MIM Sunburst Tele

Amp:
Jet City JCA100HDM | Framus CS 2x12
nice and cheap....

still think i would save my money for a new citrus 212

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I'm willing to blame it on youtube video or laptop speakers or bad taste, I guess, but I wasn't all that impressed. Don't get me wrong, it sounds okay - and the emulated output is cool.

It's just that if I were to get an inexpensive 1 watt, I would probably go Killer Ant.
Quote by Cathbard
Pfft. Or you're a philistine. And are you seriously telling me that you don't sniff the cork when you open a bottle of wine? There's a bloody good reason for sniffing the cork, dimwit. You do it so you don't get a mouthful of rotten, corked wine.
Why is it that people that know nothing about a subject ridicule people that are knowledgeable in that field? There must be some psych explanation, probably rooted in Adler's doctrine of the inferiority complex.

I had to laugh at his statement, "Blackstar completely change small tube amplifier when they did they Ht-5".
They sure did, they turned them into hybrids and kept calling them a tube amp.

Pffft, I get all my wine with screw tops, cork sniffer!
Quote by Shabadoo
Pffft, I get all my wine with screw tops, cork sniffer!

You really are an ignorant philistine aren't you?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You really are an ignorant philistine aren't you?

Relax man, that was sarcasm.
Quote by Shabadoo

Relax man, that was sarcasm.

Oh, ok then. You should have used a

We need a sarcastica font.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You guys are impressed by that? I must be more fussy.
"All tube" huh? Why doesn't it sound like it then? He rabbits on about its dynamics but it doesn't sound very dynamic to me.
I still want to see the schematic but I think we all know what we are going to see, judging by that clip, huh?
I'll stick to my Champ clone I think.

There we go, where is your buddy with red user icon? (sorry I can't be bothered to remember your names). Took you 3 hours to find this thread, why so long?

I am going to test it tomorrow and see in person (not going to buy, I've got enough amps). I don't give a **** about seeing schematic.
Last edited by mdeeRocks at Sep 3, 2010,
Quote by jimbob78
I opened the video in a new tab, heard the intro music and thought "Oh ****. It's Chappers trying to sell something else"

+1

bless him

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Cleans need more top end, drive needs less fizz.
Quote by mdeeRocks
I don't give a **** about seeing schematic.
How can you be interested in an amp but not be interested in the construction of the amp you're interested in?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras
Cleans need more top end, drive needs less fizz.How can you be interested in an amp but not be interested in the construction of the amp you're interested in?

I am absolutely not interested in technical details of how this stuff is built. If it doesn't fall apart and sounds good to my ears I can care less of what is inside.

I also never looked at my car engine, don't even know how to open it to see it. Not interested in technical/mechanical things at all.
Page 1 of 3