So if I play these power chords B F# E, what scale do I use...? I tried a B major scale but that didn't work...

The backing goes.

B F# E

B F# E

A E D

A E D

Really confused. I just made up that Backing (The Bassist is supposed to play it) and now im trying to solo over it but I don't know what scales I use. I may not be making sense...err.
Last edited by Ubadood at Sep 3, 2010,
Quote by Ubadood
So if I play these power chords B F# E, what scale do I use...? I tried a B major scale but that didn't work...

The backing goes.

B F# E

B F# E

A E D

A E D

Really confused. I just made up that Backing (The Bassist is supposed to play it) and now im trying to solo over it but I don't know what scales I use. I may not be making sense...err.

To address this situation, you'll want to know how to spell Major Keys out starting on any note.

Knowing theory really helps.

B D and F# indicate a B Minor Triad, so using a B Major, that will clash, because youre playing a maj 3rd over a minor 3rd.

Now, let's test out the notes to see if they will fit.

B C# D E F# G A B - They sure do.

The person who indicated E major may be thinking that, because the exact G isn't specified if using only power chords, so we could be looking at a G or G#. But if I were guessing, I'd say G - thus making your progression minor. The absence of D# makes me think that B is implying a minor, while the V chord in E would be a B Major, thus in the key of B minor there would be a G Natural, making the call of E Major as the key, incorrect because of the b7 D, and not a D# which would be the maj 7 of E, or the G# which is the major 3rd of E.

The answer of B minor is definitely correct.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Sep 3, 2010,
Quote by piszczel
You're a bit happy aren't you, majors everywhere
I think he means those all to be power chords.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea