I was fine with 150 watts when I played both those venues, though you may want more. Just try to have higher wattage than the guitar amp, due to low frequencies ect ect, though, it's not the end of the world if you don't (:
Last edited by *powerslave* at Sep 3, 2010,
Average club? I'd say 50 could do that.. And an auditorium..probably 100 without any speakers, although the auditorium in my old school had "only" 30 watt but the volume was boosted with speakers.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

An "average" club?

No less than 100 watts for a stand-alone amp not going through a PA.
100w is the absolute minimum you should get for gigging at all. I have a 300w amp running at 1/2 of the power (8 ohm speaker :S) and it does the job perfectly!
OK cause I'm looking at a 175 watt amp, I'm guessing it would do the trick in most scenarios right?
Quote by VeloDog
An "average" club?

No less than 100 watts for a stand-alone amp not going through a PA.

Maybe his average club is a different size than what I think is an average club? I don't go to clubs that much.. Just pubs if I want to.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

300 watts is the starting point and should se you alright for some time, anything less and you'll soon be looking for a more powerful amp, this is assuming of course that you gig regular and not just once every 3 months.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Sant_iago_9
OK cause I'm looking at a 175 watt amp, I'm guessing it would do the trick in most scenarios right?

What are you going to be playing with/competing with? Also PA or stand alone? When I was in highschool the bassist needed a 400watt bass amp to play auditoriums of about 800 seats. I would suggest 300+ watts just to cut through the mix properly.

This is an interesting guide.

http://www.houstonbasslessons.com/amp_buying_guide.html
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
depends on the amp and whether it is solid state or tube
Gear:
My Voice
PRS Tremonti II
PRS Hollowbody II w/ Piezo Blue Matteo
PRS 513 25th anniversary
PRS Tremonti SE
Fender John Mayer Relic strat "the black one"

did i mention i like PRS?

20th Anniversary Bogner Shiva
Quote by Sant_iago_9

What is the amp you're looking at? John Swift's the only person in this thread who's on the money, if you get at least 300 watts you're going to be set for most gigging situations and have plenty of headroom, most larger places are going to DI you anyway.

EDIT: oh and slanderous has some good advice too.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Sep 5, 2010,