Iv really been looking at getting a Marshall MA100C, but im not sure. I own a Deville 2x12 and love it. I figure this is the Marshal equivalent right? Well I did browsing and only found like 4 reviews on the thing. I was just wondering if you guys think that money could be spent on a better/different high gain type amp?
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
i just bought it, like a couple of hours ago, and loving it.

so from the playing at ever since i got home from the shop it has appeared pretty versatile and you can get surprisingly high gain, that still sound pretty tight, on it. also the clean channel is pretty nice.
i spent today walking around all the music shops trying every amp and it held its own against other amps of the same price and a few more expensive ones.
its also really easy to use - seperate eq for both channels, volume/gain boost on od channel, spring reverb, no shitty built in amp effects.
i tried out a 6505+ 2x12 and if super high gain is what you want then go for that but its a bit of a one trick pony, you cant get a classic rock tone out of it and the clean is pretty average. it pretty much limited to high gain.
Last edited by CreepingDeath13 at Sep 3, 2010,
What do you play?
What's your budget?
Used or new?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
No offense to the second poster but they are junk

to the help of both TS an I do you care to elaborate on why theyre junk? [non-confrontational]
I play classic rock, and blues....BUT im getting into like Ozzy and just 80's style metal. Nothing real heavy.
I don't really have a budget, but around the same price would be nice.
I just know I have a Fender Hot Rod Deville and I want something like that but with more gain.

Plus I figure MF has 15% off right now on $700+ items. So id be paying alot less then normal. Free shipping, No Tax, and 15% off....sounds like a good combo to me. I played one for about 3 minutes at GC when I bought my SG standard a month ago and liked it, but thats not enough time to really get a sense of the amp. I'm really leaning toward new instead of used.

*Edit*
Well scratch that, I applied the code and of course Marshall and every other decent brand is excluded from the 15% off. Still interested in it though.
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Last edited by teamhex at Sep 3, 2010,
^If you call or talk to a sales rep there is a good chance you can get that 15% anyway.

Actually, you can get 10-15% off almost all the time if you ask right.

A Deville and a Marshall are two totally different types of amps with different types of circuits and different types of tubes.

If you want a Fender type tone with more gain I can give you some rec's.
If you want a Marshally type tone I can give you some rec's.

Most 80's rock (Ozzy is a great example - Rhoads, Lee, Wilde) is based on that hot -rodded Marshall JCM type crunch. I was actually revisiting Ozzy's No More Tears album last night and jizzed my pants on Wilde's crunch tones.

Will you be selling your Deville? Do you have a total budget? Do you prefer combos? Will you be buying at GC no matter what?

IMO the only good Marshalls these days are the old ones that are used. I have not played the Class 5 yet but I've heard good things. I am also somewhat pleased with the DSL/TSL.

The MA100 head I played (into a 1960 412 cab) was pretty bad imo. Thin lifeless junk. EQ dd nothing nor did that contour knob or whatever it was. I am somewhat biased because I do not like anything that Marshall is putting out these days and that includes the $2100 JVM and the $2600 plexi reissues.

There are so many other amps that can do the Marshall tone better.

Egnater Renegade is at the top of my list followed by the Tweaker and the Rebels.
Orange Rocker, Rockerverb, Thunderverb, new Thunder would be better although they are not strait up Marshall tones.
Blackheart BH100
Jet City
Peavey 3120, 6534, Butcher, 6505+, Classic 30
Bugera 1960, 1990
Crate V50 maybe

there is more stuff, but that is a start

Honestly, I'd look at USED amps. More bang for your buck.

What is your total budget and closest major city?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 3, 2010,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^If you call or talk to a sales rep there is a good chance you can get that 15% anyway.

Actually, you can get 10-15% off almost all the time if you ask right.

A Deville and a Marshall are two totally different types of amps with different types of circuits and different types of tubes.

If you want a Fender type tone with more gain I can give you some rec's.
If you want a Marshally type tone I can give you some rec's.

Most 80's rock (Ozzy is a great example - Rhoads, Lee, Wilde) is based on that hot -rodded Marshall JCM type crunch. I was actually revisiting Ozzy's No More Tears album last night and jizzed my pants on Wilde's crunch tones.

Will you be selling your Deville? Do you have a total budget? Do you prefer combos? Will you be buying at GC no matter what?

IMO the only good Marshalls these days are the old ones that are used. I have not played the Class 5 yet but I've heard good things. I am also somewhat pleased with the DSL/TSL.

The MA100 head I played (into a 1960 412 cab) was pretty bad imo. Thin lifeless junk. EQ dd nothing nor did that contour knob or whatever it was. I am somewhat biased because I do not like anything that Marshall is putting out these days and that includes the $2100 JVM and the $2600 plexi reissues.

There are so many other amps that can do the Marshall tone better.

Egnater Renegade is at the top of my list followed by the Tweaker and the Rebels.
Orange Rocker, Rockerverb, Thunderverb, new Thunder would be better although they are not strait up Marshall tones.
Blackheart BH100
Jet City
Peavey 3120, 6534, Butcher, 6505+, Classic 30
Bugera 1960, 1990
Crate V50 maybe

there is more stuff, but that is a start

Honestly, I'd look at USED amps. More bang for your buck.

What is your total budget and closest major city?

Im looking for an amp that has a different tone then my Deville. Something that...its hard for me to describe, but my Devilles over drive is almost like a dirty OD, its not clean and crisp like I want. I'm leaning toward a combo(pref), but I do have a 4x12 I can play on. The Tiny Terror is also on my list, but I just don't know if 15watts is going to be enough man. I play a 40 watter(Pignose G40v) through my 4x12 and I keep it at around 3-4 maybe 5 if the other guy wont turn down, lol.

Houston is the city im closest too, and my budget is around 900ish.
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
I didn't like the MA series much. Very fizzy and lifeless, as 311 said.

a JCM800 combo might be more up your alley.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Its blocked at my work so im kinda screwed. I have like 4 hours of free time when I get off at like 2pm, but even then what part of Houston is that? Could someone get me a contact email or pref a number? lol
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Last edited by teamhex at Sep 3, 2010,
For your budget, I'd go with Carvin's V3. The thing has all of the tones you are looking for and many more.

The problem with asking for opinions on amplifiers or guitars (or whatever) is that some people will say it is very good and others will say it is terrible. This seems to apply particularly to amplifiers. A number of people seem to think that if it is anything less than a boutique amplifier, then it must be junk. Any name brand amplifier is likely to be a good choice, and as far as it having the tones you are looking for; that is entirely subjective. The only thing that matters is whether you like it or not.

The MA series is very new and has been the subject of a lot of B.S. regarding its tone, components, etc. It is a less expensive tube Marshall that is not meant to be a JCM or a JVM. It seems geared to higher gain tones, as they seem to be in demand these days. The one I played sounded fine; particularly when cranked. It also sounded better through a Marshall 1960 cabinet with Vintage 30s than through the MA designated cabinet. It is too new to draw any conclusions regarding how well it will stand up over the long haul.

If you like it and you can afford it, then grab one. Yours is the only vote that counts.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by teamhex
Its blocked at my work so im kinda screwed. I have like 4 hours of free time when I get off at like 2pm, but even then what part of Houston is that? Could someone get me a contact email or pref a number? lol

sale-3r8md-1933598574@craigslist.org
PostingID: 1933598574
Marshal JCM 900 50w tube amp with Hi gain Dual Reverb No scratches or dents comes with foot switch price reduced. $637.00 In Houston/Galveston area. No trades please.

(needs cab)
Galveston would be at least an hour one way :/ lol. Maybe if I offer him $600 and meet in the middle eh?
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
You may not need to

http://houston.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=amp&srchType=A&minAsk=300&maxAsk=700

There is a Gretch 18 wattr you might like in here. Several 6505+ that you probably won't like Kuston Coupe 36. Peavey Valveking. Egnater Rebel 20. Genz Benz El Diablo. Mesa F50. Music Man 112 RD 50. Vintage Silverface Twin Reverb. Egnater Renegade. Pignose G40. Crate Blue Voodoo. Traynor YCV40. Vox AC15. Fender Bassman.

Damn man. I'm moving to Houston

And those were all posted within this past week. Should be tons of stuff down there for you to look at.