I'm trying to learn Californication and am having trouble with one chord. It's a F barre chord, but the 1st string is open. I've tried holding the 2nd string with my index finger and fingering the 6th with my thumb, but I just can't get it to work. any tips?
Listen to CKY.
1st finger on the b string
2nd on the g string
3rd finger on the a string
4th finger(pinky) on the d string
1 thumb
3 pinky
3 ring finger
2 middle finger
1 index finger
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
Some tabs say that the chord is like this so maybe you could play it like this:

e:0
B:1 index
G:2 middle
D:3 pinky
A:3 ring
E:-
Quote by Aukustus
Some tabs say that the chord is like this so maybe you could play it like this:

e:0
B:1 index
G:2 middle
D:3 pinky
A:3 ring
E:-

That's the one I found, too. It's also from the highest rated tab. (5 stars, 468 votes)
Quote by cky_rocks
I'm trying to learn Californication and am having trouble with one chord. It's a F barre chord, but the 1st string is open. I've tried holding the 2nd string with my index finger and fingering the 6th with my thumb, but I just can't get it to work. any tips?

Actually, you could try the following. Play a standard barre chord (like F barre), but instead of barring with your index finger, use your index finger to fret just the chord root (on the lower E string). So instead of barring, you're effectively lifting up your index finger so that you're only fretting the note on the lower E string.

You can use this idea to play barre chords (ie. only fretting the chord root with your index finger) across the entire fretboard. Some chords will sound better than some others.

Hope this helps,
Willem