Yes.
115 38%
No.
63 21%
Only certain classes / times.
125 41%
Voters: 303.
Page 1 of 3
By try, I mean attend all classes, complete all homework, do extra study at home etc etc. You know, really put in some effort as opposed to not putting in any.

I'm quite bad in the fact that I don't try too much at Uni, but I still get grades that are well above the class average =/

How about you guys?
RIP Tom Searle.
I don't. I only work hard for things I actually like, and those things are very rare.
I still perform above average, so it's ok.
I try to pull my weight in seminar discussions and make at least some effort. I didn't make any real effort before the last year of 6th form though.
Well I didn't really try at school because it was piss easy. I'm trying now though because I'd actually like to go Uni.

Two A's and a B here I come.

Anyone know when McDonalds will be hiring?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I've never had to do a lot to get good grades, so no, I don't work very hard.

EDIT: seems I'm not the only one, is the Pit THAT smart?
████████████
████████████
████████████

RNLAF

I Like Planes
Last edited by Gammas1 at Sep 3, 2010,
For all the money it cost you should. Thats enough motivation.

I have 3 brothers and sisters in college and they all try their hardest
i try hard enough to pass, and then a little bit extra, just so i don't seem completely retarded. all but like 2 or 3 college classes i got b's in.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Put the minimum effort in most of time, put **** loads of effort in the week of the exam.

Thats my system and it hasn't failed me yet.
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
I'm in marketing right now, not paying attention and my girlfriend just leaned over and wrote 'pay attention, love, this is important' but it's boring and easy. I do usually pay attention, at least in my music industry classes and theory and stuff.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I pulled rabbits out of hats all the time in school. I actually have to work now.
Didn't try too hard at school, did a bit for my undergrad and worked like a prison camp inmate for my masters.
I just started here at the University of South Alabama. I'm trying so far, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm lazy as hell. :[
I sued Delta Airlines, 'cause they sold me a ticket to New Jersey, I went there, and it SUCKED.
Unlike most people here it seems, I try really hard.

Especially in lessons, I reason that if I'm stuck in that classroom then I may as well work because it means I'll have less work to do at home and it will benifit me more in the long run. But I don't go out of my way to impress the teacher or to make sure everyone knows that I'm working hard, I just quietly get on with.

In general working harder = doing better but you should take enough time off that you are happy.
well... last year i turned up half way through a test and still got higher than the average.
i dunno. if i tried harder, i'd do better. i don't try my hardest but i do make an effort.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
I like the majority of classes I'm taking now and I feel bad when I don't pay attention.

But I can't say I've ever actually tried hard...I can get by fine in terms of grades and stuff without it.
cat
I don't try too hard unless the class demands that I read things that the instructor hasn't gone over.
Tonight I kill your fucking face.
I killed your face.

HG FC: 4211 7971 0287
Plt FC: 3052 1000 9033
i take some college classes and college nursing and I'm only a senior O_o

so yes i try. its not hard at all to keep good grades, just stay on top of your shit.
I usually make sure I make atleast one point per seminar just so it looks like I am paying attention, and I do a bit of the set reading, just so I have an idea whats going on lol.

I dont take a lot of notes though, I miss class sometimes and I dont do a whole lot of reading in my own time. Still, im on a 2:1 average so its not all bad
Didn't try at school or the first year and a bit at uni, a mixture of laziness, depression, paranoia etc (i was, and probably still am, mentally as stable as a drunk one legged spider at the best of times) and I did pay the price results wise. Ive put in some effort the past half year and I'm getting better results.
X

"Just wait till tomorrow
I guess that's what they all say
Just before they fall apart"
Well I'm out of school now. Graduated from Northeastern a year and a half ago. When I was there though I never showed up unless I had to. With a few exceptions I think most of school is a waste of time.

I hate to use anecdotal evidence but out of everyone I knew in college I probably tried the least, but I immediately got a job in my field after school. Almost everyone else I know is still either unemployed or working temporary jobs outside of their field. They spent their time doing school work, I spent my time working, networking, and building my portfolio and resume.
Quote by jfreyvogel
Well I'm out of school now. Graduated from Northeastern a year and a half ago. When I was there though I never showed up unless I had to. With a few exceptions I think most of school is a waste of time.

I hate to use anecdotal evidence but out of everyone I knew in college I probably tried the least, but I immediately got a job in my field after school. Almost everyone else I know is still either unemployed or working temporary jobs outside of their field. They spent their time doing school work, I spent my time working, networking, and building my portfolio and resume.

To everyone saying "I don't try but I'm still above average", are you really satisfied with that?

That's not supposed to some sort of motivating quote, it's an honest question. Personally, I know I can be above average in my class without trying but that's not enough for me. Even being top of my class wouldn't be enough if I felt like I could have done better had I worked harder because I always need to do the best I could have done.

This is also relevant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RrreVthWRY
Last edited by 12345abcd3 at Sep 3, 2010,
If you don't actually try, you're condemned to fail.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by jfreyvogel
Is this asking what I think the exceptions are? Or what are you getting at? The redundancy of the statement?

I'm saying that saying school is a waste of time is just stupid.
So far, besides my Comp class (Damn essays), I have found that I dont really need to try that hard. The assignments are pretty straight forward and can be done online at any time. That, plus its easy.

Im a freshman though, so my opinion on the matter is rightfully mute.
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Quote by 12345abcd3
To everyone saying "I don't try but I'm still above average", are you really satisfied with that?

That's not supposed to some sort of motivating quote, it's an honest question. Personally, I know I can be above average in my class without trying but that's not enough for me. Even being top of my class wouldn't be enough if I felt like I could have done better had I worked harder because I always need to do the best I could have done.

This is also relevant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RrreVthWRY

It depends. I usually feel bad for not trying as hard as I could have, but sometimes I'm just too lazy to bother.
cat
I usually do pretty good without doing much/anything above the required work. I do most of my homework and classwork, but I rarely look at any notes outside of class.
Quote by Todd Hart
I'm saying that saying school is a waste of time is just stupid.

Well like I said, not everything. It isn't the idea of school that I think is a waste of time - it's how it's executed. In America at least (since I don't know what schools elsewhere are like).

Education in general I support. I still take classes regularly. Currently I'm taking classes in Japanese, paino, circuitry, and soon either sound engineering or drumming (haven't decided yet on that one).

But colleges, and most of the education system I think is just pointless. I taught two classes (AS3 programming, and 2d animation) at my college (because our teachers didn't know what they were doing). My roommate that same year taught classes in electrical engineering and ... some chemistry class I can't remember, maybe organic. It's ridiculous that the teachers couldn't teach their own classes - and at a major college no less.

The main problem I found at school is that I had to make a choice between learning the material and getting good grades. The two didn't go together, and they should.
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Sep 3, 2010,
For written assignments, i try to make a start on them shortly after getting them so that i at least have some idea where it should go, but usually i start it, put it off then about a week before the deadline after doing a bunch of research i do it and set a target word count per day.

For practical stuff, its all ongoing anyway. I do try with it although i also blow off alot of steam, its just about trying to divide the two fairly evenly.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
nah, I stopped caring about school when I was in elementary. now I have all these prerequisites to do which are just so tedious. it doesn't make a difference if I try or not. I still get an A in the end.

and I'm cool with that, since I'm not really learning anything I want to be. hopefully, that'll change this quarter.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Sep 3, 2010,
Quote by jfreyvogel

Out of curiosity, what was your major?
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
I took my bachelor's degree with a grain of salt, but I had to work hard to get through the Masters.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by zippidyduda
Out of curiosity, what was your major?

Graphic design - focus on digital arts and web programming/design.

It was a 5 year degree program. I graduated a full year early.

I was originally going to be a programming major (I wanted to make video games - I programmed two computer games while I was in high school) but I couldn't handle the people in that program. The people in the art department turned out to be not much better though....
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Sep 3, 2010,
In school it was pretty irregular, but that's because I didn't really mind cramming two nights before the exam if I could get the grades...

I start uni on monday and hopefully I'll be working constantly.
Nah, but I do more so in college then in high school. I simply can't study or memorize info of something I'm not interested in. but the upside of post-secondary is it's all class on your study of choice, but there is still pointless classes and assignments.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Page 1 of 3