Hi there

Im interested in taking a College Music Theory class and I want to know what I need to know to get into that class. Do I need to be really good at guitar to get in or know some basic theory.How can I prepare. I've been playing for three years but have only taken it seriously for about a year.

Also what are other classes I can take if I'm serious about my future as a musician.

Sorry If I'm posting in the wrong thread Im a newbie =D
Last edited by AkFlare at Sep 3, 2010,
I took a intro to music theory class at Rutgers University and I didn't know one thing before it. You should be fine regardless of your music backround but it might be a good idea to learn how to read music before you start and maybe even some basic keyboard knowledge. I didn't know either of those things and still got an A though, so as long as you treat it like any other class you should be fine regardless of prior knowledge.
You just need an instrument, unless its a college with a lot of money that can let you use one.
Thanks for the info. When ever I used google all the links were to online courses
Quote by AkFlare
Hi there

Im interested in taking a College Music Theory class and I want to know what I need to know to get into that class. Do I need to be really good at guitar to get in or know some basic theory.How can I prepare. I've been playing for three years but have only taken it seriously for about a year.

Also what are other classes I can take if I'm serious about my future as a musician.

Sorry If I'm posting in the wrong thread Im a newbie =D

If you are not a music major, they will let you take Intro to Music which is a cheezy course which is more like Music History and that is it.

Unless your school is different than mine, they won't let you take any of the theory, performance, or jazz courses unless you're a music major. I've gone to two schools and it was the same at both. Also, all the classes have prereqs even if you could take them.

Look into it though. I hope your luck is better than mine.
My school kicks kids out who don't know the major scale first day of theory 1. You should know all major scales and how to read music, even if your slow at it.