Mkay, havent done a really good search so dunno if this has been done and I dont know whether this is the right place or not but I thought the pit would be right.

Ive been learning to play for over a year now but when ive been learning i keep hearing about "playing like this can cause back problems" or "leads to tinnitus" or other problems like arthritus, tendon problems, carpel tunnel and so on. It constantly keeps coming up. I try to play in away that does not cause injury like these but im always concerned about how im playing now. It starts to cause a worry if i feel even the smallest pain in my hands/fingers/ears (however for the record I am a natural hypocondriac sometimes). I wanted to learn to play for fun and play songs by artists/bands I really like. I dont want to be put off by worrys over injurys that could ruin my life from now to 40 years down the line.

So long story short, does anyone else ever think like this? or has ever felt like this during your guitar playing life?
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Sadokun: Eating cardboard never tasted this good!

Quote by Otis Lee Crenshaw
Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?
- Take up smoking
- Find risks in guitar playing to be fleeting
- Get on with significantly shorter life.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
If it's a hobby = don't risk your life. If it's not = you shouldn't worry the least bit.
It's always something you should consider.

The goofy diagrams in the front of Guitar Book 1 of how to hold the instrument, fret, and pick?

Take them seriously.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

I'll find myself in the middle of playing songs worrying about my wrist position or the straightness of my back. And then I'll lose my concentration and **** up.

So yeah, it puts me off a lot.
No, if I was going to think about all that I wouldn't do any hobby, sport or physical activity at all.

Of course not doing any physical activity leads to muscle loss, bed sores and whatnot. You might just as well spending your time doing what you love and possibly getting injured instead of spending your time not doing something you love and very likely getting injured.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I wonder what marty friedman's wrist is going to feel like in 10 years time?
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
Quote by Kensai
No, if I was going to think about all that I wouldn't do any hobby, sport or physical activity at all.

Of course not doing any physical activity leads to muscle loss, bed sores and whatnot. You might just as well spending your time doing what you love and possibly getting injured instead of spending your time not doing something you love and very likely getting injured.

Exactly, everything you do, eat, breathe etc is dangerous or going to hurt you in some way, just live...
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Sep 3, 2010,
As long as you remain relaxed and take things easy you should avoid most issues that playing guitar can cause.
Quote by Sadokun
Mkay,

Mkay,

Mkay,
ಠ_ಠ
Anyway on topic, I never think about injury when playing. I always play in the classical position (left leg, guitar neck angled upwards). I've never had any pain either, so why should I start worrying now?
Take some risks and man up

on a plus side, try to play without tensing to much and sit with correct posture and wrist angle etc.
Quote by TheQuailman
I wish my amp sucked on my knob.

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
I have wrist problems from playing, and yet I still play. Guitar is my passion, not just my hobby. Maybe I'll take up smoking to compensate.

If you don't love playing enough to put up with the risks, don't trouble yourself. Same with sex or drinking, right?
Quote by diofan88
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Every band is a lotr metal band. Metal is like Guile's theme for Lotr.
Quote by mcjosh
Whoever thinks Japan deserved the tsunami in any way should just go away and fucking die alone.
Quote by Kensai

Tbh, that kind of eased my worries reading that. Cheers!

Edit: I just really like playing I guess, even through the theory and difficult stuff, I just dont want to have that cut short due to medical problems. I play how ive been told and what feels comfortable to avoid pain all the time. but its just something that bothers me I guess.

And whats wrong with "Mkay?" lol. Its part of my language.
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Sadokun: Eating cardboard never tasted this good!

Quote by Otis Lee Crenshaw
Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?
Last edited by Sadokun at Sep 3, 2010,
i started realizing that everytime i played for a long time my back would hurt like hell, so i bought some advil
I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A BAD CASE OF SOMEONE SHOT ME IN THE HEAD!!!
If you play for fun at home covering songs you like,chances are there is no way possible to get tinnitus.You need to be exposed to seriously loud music for a long time to get that.
To avoid back problems,just play more when you're seated and avoid buying heavy guitars..I have some minor back problems but it's from performing.Hand pain is common when you're still relatively new to the guitar or you just play for too long.Just take a break every 30 minutes or so and you'll be fine.
If you could reason with religious people,there would be no religious people.
My hands get tense when I play sometimes, I'm worried that would lead to injury in the long run.
I tend to pick and fret pretty hard. But then, so do a lot of players, and it's never been a problem for them.
Thats not very metal dude....
flintazra wrote:

I think the next person to shoot up a school should list Jonas brothers and Hannah Montana as his favorite "musicians."
I don't really worry
I mean sure it can hawe concequences , but
as Todd Hard sayed ewerything can hurt you if you belive
what people say .
I mean i have a bad neck n spine problems , but pretty
much playing guitar is one of the best things in my life ,
so really i don't care . You'll probably get a carpal tunel sindrom or
back injuris from some othere eweryday stuff , .....
don't wory to much , but be shure to check some books/videos how to
play the right way
Quote by Speckled_Hen
I wonder what marty friedman's wrist is going to feel like in 10 years time?

THIS!!! i totally agree hahahaha. His picking hand looks so awkward.

But for the sake of the TS don't worry about it. Do what you want with your life. If you like to play guitar and truly enjoy it don't worry what will happen in the future. Plus theres still a lot of old artists doing some crazy stuff so im sure it wont end your life early or cause huge problems lol.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG-350 YE w/ Super Dist. and PAF pro pups
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
you worry way too much.
worrying will just cause you to focus on the problem no end and you'll end up getting the injuries you're afraid of getting where as you wouldn't have otherwise.
people who play video games with a mouse are more likely to get problems with their hands/wrists tbh.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Quote by bfredder92
THIS!!! i totally agree hahahaha. His picking hand looks so awkward.

It does look like it was set in that position in a very painful way
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
Quote by Kensai

This, I can say I have never worried about pain in guitar playing. Some times my finger ends hurt, and my wrist used to hurt, but I never thought "Oh no, what if this affects me in 40 years?", I thought "Oh well, this pain will go away the more I play because I'll build up the muscle"

I've had blisters on my fingers from playing before, and it hurts, but doesn't put me off (even though I still can't get the timing right what I was trying to do!)

relax TS, or don't bother having hobbies
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..