Hey guys.

Im looking to get some recording gear to get my feet wet with this whole thing. Im looking to stay relatively cheap.

I have no idea what to get in terms of interfaces. So I need help there. I do know it needs to be a USB one though because I dont have the 1394 port in my computer as far as I know. I would like to keep this under 100 USD new or used.

Then we have the mic. I have heard great things about the Shure SM57, so it has been recommended. BUT. I think I failed to ask if it was a good mic for recording guitar. So now I ask. Is it? Are there better alternatives? Im looking to keep this under 60 USD used since I will need to buy all the cables and such as well.

If you need to know anything else I can let you know. Thanks!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Mbox 2 is a pretty low cost unit.
Line 6 guitarport is also pretty cheap

The shure SM57 is great for vocals and guitar.

Sorry I don't have anymore info for you on this. I too am just getting into all of this.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
The tascam 144mkII is ok and its close to 100, the sm57 is the industry standard for recording guitar so i will go with that unless your recording acoustic guitar
Whaaaat!!!!!!
^i would think something like apogee would be the industry standard. looks like the tascam is just a good intro level interface. doesn't look bad though.

if you are really trying to save money TS, then you may want to look into a USB mic. a USB mic is usually a condensor that runs it's phantom power over the USB and it has it's own preamp and A/D converter onboard, so there is no need for an interface.

you can find usb mics for under 100 quite easily. the down side is that they don't 'scale up', in other words, you are stuck with the 1 mic with no chance to run more mics. this might not be detrimental to you though as i am unsure of your needs.

the SM57 is a 'generic' microphone in that it sounds pretty good with most anything, but it doesn't really sound 'great' with anything. there are much better mics, of example a senheiser MD421 is one of my fav large diaphragm dynamics, but they cost MUCH more (100 of the 57, 400 for the 421)
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
the SM57 is a 'generic' microphone in that it sounds pretty good with most anything, but it doesn't really sound 'great' with anything. there are much better mics, of example a senheiser MD421 is one of my fav large diaphragm dynamics, but they cost MUCH more (100 of the 57, 400 for the 421)

I disagree with this. Soo many metal records have been recorded with a sm57 its ridiculous, as i lay dying, chimaira, devildriver, job for a cowboy, kreator, testament. Im not saying the md421 isnt great but the sm57 has been used on alot of great sounding records
Whaaaat!!!!!!
Quote by cob666
I disagree with this. Soo many metal records have been recorded with a sm57 its ridiculous, as i lay dying, chimaira, devildriver, job for a cowboy, kreator, testament. Im not saying the md421 isnt great but the sm57 has been used on alot of great sounding records

listen dude, i am being honest. the SM57 really is not that great at anything. how do i know? frankly cuz i own 4 of them and i tested them against a ton of other mics. i use SM57's exclusively to mic my cabs, mainly cuz i don't have anything nicer. the funny part is they get their own sound though, you'll see an SM57 matched next to a 2000 USD AKG, telefunken or royer; but you'll never see one in a studio micing a cab by itself.

the point i was trying to make was not that the SM57 was not 'good' for recording guitars, but that they are 'good' for a bunch of things and not really 'great' for anything. did you know that SM57's are really designed for live PA applications first and foremost? they are designed to take a beating on the road and perform every night, the fact it even makes it into a studio is pretty amazing.

i am trying to give an honest review of a product i have used to over 10 years, so that statements that make the SM57 seem better than it really is like: 'Soo many metal records have been recorded with a sm57 its ridiculous' when that statement isn't entirely true (chances are they are using other microphones as well).

i was trying to spread some informed thoughts on the SM57, it is a shame you don't agree with me but i still stand by that statement.

i am interested in knowing, have you ever used a SM57 for recording before? did you have an opportunity to compare it with a quality large diaphragm condensor? or even a MD421?

-ae
I'm not gonna get into this whole discussion about mics, but i have a Lexicon Alpha Audio interface. 1 channel at a time (I think), with 1/4" in and XLR in. Built like a tank, too. Be sure to get a real DAW (Reaper is free and works quite well).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^^That's cool, but for $60, you're not going to find a better mic for recording guitar, so your point is moot.

The MD421 is a nice mic, but it isn't that much better than the SM57. The 57 also doesn't really require any micing technique, you could throw that thing in front of a speaker anywhere and it'll sound good, the Sennheisers are picky as hell.

Quote by gumbilicious
but you'll never see one in a studio micing a cab by itself.

Sure you do, A LOT of professional studios do it that way, or even with 2

Quote by Darkflame
the sm57 is the standard for recording guitars
however, with that budget, you can't get one, you can't get much actually.. maybe a shure pg57? it's the made in china version

He could get a used one, which he mentioned he'd buy used in his post.

TS - I'd say a used Line 6 UX1 and Shure SM57. Maybe some kinda M-Audio thing if you can find one cheap, they tend to have better mic pres, but don't come with the POD Farm software.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Sep 3, 2010,
Quote by srob7001
Mbox 2 is a pretty low cost unit.
Line 6 guitarport is also pretty cheap

The shure SM57 is great for vocals and guitar.

Sorry I don't have anymore info for you on this. I too am just getting into all of this.

the mbox2 is over budget for him (sry m8y i think i confused you in chat), for a protools interface you want a m audio fast track, still slightly over budget.

protools wasn`t specified though,

TS the thing to consider with audio interfaces is that the cheap ones generally are crap and not worth plugging your guitar into and booting up your comp, for a decent interface you want one that uses USB 2.0 and above....therefore for that reason i`m going to suggest you save up until you can get a decent setup, if you are just wanting something to record your playing onto so that others can see your playing.....by a digital camera with video function, nowdays you can pickup a 12mp camera for £60 with vid function....not what you asked for but until you save atleast the equivalent of £300 it just not worth it.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Sure you do, A LOT of professional studios do it that way, or even with 2

i messed up and said 'never', that was my fault. from what i have read and researched of the recording world, i rarely find a SM57 is the only mic used on a professional recording of guitar. but i guess i could be completely off the mark or maybe those dozens of EQ magazines i read don't represent what happens in the real world.

also, i thought the MD421 was quite a bit better, especially with it's adjustable low end response, i didn't think the SM57 sounded nearly as good on toms, kick, horn or as a vocal mic. sounded about the same for guitar though, sounded much better as overheads for drums though.

i conceded they are a great 'set it and forget it' mic, that is why i use for (also cuz i can get them for a reasonable price).

i don't see how my point it 'moot' though.

the funny thing is that i am usually on the other end of this conversation, i am usually advocating that an SM57 is plenty good for most 'non-professional' applications (and even have a place in a professional world). but if asked straight up "how great is a SM57", i'd say: "it's good, but not great".

that is the only claim i am trying make. i am having a hard time believing everyone is trying to pick that apart.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 3, 2010,
Quote by gumbilicious

i am trying to give an honest review of a product i have used to over 10 years, so that statements that make the SM57 seem better than it really is like: 'Soo many metal records have been recorded with a sm57 its ridiculous' when that statement isn't entirely true (chances are they are using other microphones as well).

i was trying to spread some informed thoughts on the SM57, it is a shame you don't agree with me but i still stand by that statement.

i am interested in knowing, have you ever used a SM57 for recording before? did you have an opportunity to compare it with a quality large diaphragm condensor? or even a MD421?

Actually for the ones i listed, it actually is a single sm57. How do i know? Andy sneap did these albums and he personally has said it was a single sm57. And yes i have used an sm57 in various ways, a single sm57 slightly off axis, using the fredman technique. So i have personal experience with this mic. And yes I have used the md421 and i dont really like it by itself, I prefer it mixed with a sm57 but thats just MY opinion. Ive also used the audix i5, it has a beefier sound, and a e609.

The sm57 is a good mic for what it does even if its not $400+, but again thats just MY opinion.
Whaaaat!!!!!!
Quote by cob666
Actually for the ones i listed, it actually is a single sm57. How do i know? Andy sneap did these albums and he personally has said it was a single sm57. And yes i have used an sm57 in various ways, a single sm57 slightly off axis, using the fredman technique. So i have personal experience with this mic. And yes I have used the md421 and i dont really like it by itself, I prefer it mixed with a sm57 but thats just MY opinion. Ive also used the audix i5, it has a beefier sound, and a e609.

The sm57 is a good mic for what it does even if its not $400+, but again thats just MY opinion.

alright, fine. i am wrong.

SM57's are just as good as anything out there. they provid an unparalleled signal that other mics are still trying to keep up with.

in studio's it is THE STANDARD to run nothing but SM57's cuz everyone out there knows that all other mics might just be a 'little bit' better but not enough to warrent their price tags.

so TS, don't waste your time buying an inferior usb condensor mic, make sure you spend that extra 100 bucks on a really crappy interface with horrible preamps so you can run an SM57.

i need to learn to shut up.

-ae
I am so confused

Oh my goodness. Im really willing to spend more on the interface. I was just seeing if there were good cheap alternatives.

Lets say I boost the price up another 100 bucks. Hell 150.

What are good interfaces for 250 that will work with a SM57. (I am going to get a SM57.)
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
it really depends on what DAW you want to use, whilst cubase, reaper,cakewalk and reason will work with almost all interfaces, if you want to use something like protools whether it be m-powered or LE (HD is out of reach of us mere mortals) then you have to use a designated interface for that software.

for using protools m-powered have a look at the fast track

for protools LE have a look at the mbox2 mini (i really like LE)

http://www.avid.com/US/categories/Audio-MIDI-Interfaces/USB-Audio-Interfaces

i`m only mentioning protools as that is what i`m getting later this month.

other than getting the sm57 mic what else are you adding to your studio...monitors? (headphones are ok but you should really use monitors to get the full effect of your recordings)

your mic working with a interface is not really a issue as most interfaces will have a xlr input.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Sep 3, 2010,
Quote by diceksox1809
I am so confused

i am sorry, that was a confusing back and forth. the point i was trying to make is a USB microphone like the one below will work well without a need for an interface (this would save money if it fits your purposes).

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SnowballAL/

i am not advocating that one in particular, i am more or less showing an example.

the point i was trying to make was i think SM57's are good, they do the job fine, but i don't seem to hold 'em in as high esteem as others here evidently.

-ae
I just recently bought a line 6 ux1 and a shure sm57. I love the ux1, I found one for 45 CAD, thats crazy. I bought the sm57 new along with a stand and cable, in the end it cost m about 200 for all.

I love it. Sounds much better than pod farm. I get low latency as well, like 14ms or 28 or something, not even noticeable.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ