Page 1 of 2
I've got about 50 bucks to spare this week, Pit. I want to get some Blu-Ray movies but need some suggestions.

The catch is that they have to be visually striking movies, because that's the whole point of of 1080p, is to have movies like T2, not The Notebook.

So, what does the Pit recommend?

Blu-Rays I own:

Terminator 1, 2, and Salvation
Logan's Run
I Robot
Last edited by Spartan101400 at Sep 3, 2010,
Avatar definitely (really obvious choice I know)
Quote by red157
Getting killed is an occupational hazard when you're an armed robber.

Quote by Random88
Drunk birds falling over? Sounds like Glasgow

'The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.'

- Jimi Hendrix
Any of the Lord of the Rings, Avatar, Hot Fuzz
Quote by Tango616
Watching a fat kid dance around in a white shirt....wow...Al Gore was right...the glaciers really ARE shifting.

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
It's because Fassa got banned

RIP Dime
lol Avatar is pretty good looking on Blu-ray, but im sure you know the story behind that. I can tell a difference, but its never a really significant difference man. I dont mind watching DVDs on my blu-ray player. If you play DVD's it displays your DVDs in 480p-720p and it still looks pretty good. Blu-ray just introduces some new colors but its not really a "whole new movie experience" as it is advertised to be. Your better off buying a cool ps3 game!
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by Vypor
lol Avatar is pretty good looking on Blu-ray, but im sure you know the story behind that. I can tell a difference, but its never a really significant difference man. I dont mind watching DVDs on my blu-ray player. If you play DVD's it displays your DVDs in 480p-720p and it still looks pretty good. Blu-ray just introduces some new colors but its not really a "whole new movie experience" as it is advertised to be. Your better off buying a cool ps3 game!

I don't own a PS3...
Daybreakers was really good though.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by howamidriving?
wall-e.

seriously

This
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
Watched Star Trek on Blu-Ray, it was pretty awesome.

EDIT: Oh, and I've only seen it on TVs for in-store demos of Blu-Ray players, but Ice Age looks amazing in Blu-Ray.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
Well seeing that Terminator and Avatar were already covered, the only thing I can suggest is look for movies that were designed to be visually striking.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Wait a while for the Terminator Quad to come out. The current BR masters aren't amazing, apart from T2.

Apocalypto looked beautiful when I saw that on BluRay. Zombieland is pretty nice.

EDIT: Star Trek (2009) is pretty damn good.

The Matrix trilogy is awesome on Bluray.
Quote by Vypor

I think it is a whole new movie experience. My house made the complete move over to HD recently. TV, movies and games have never been better.
Oh, as strange as it may sound, if you are into the show: LOST!

I figured as long as I'm picking up the season, might as well make it Blu-ray. Let me tell you, it does not disappoint.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Another thing to note, having the Bluray and watching the movie on SkyHD or whatever is nowhere near the same experience.

HDTV is compressed to shit to actually beam to us quick enough. Make me wonder what Virgin HD is like (being on Fiberoptics n all).
Quote by Epicbizzjizz
Oh, as strange as it may sound, if you are into the show: LOST!

I figured as long as I'm picking up the season, might as well make it Blu-ray. Let me tell you, it does not disappoint.

That doesn't sound strange at all, you are talking about the best show ever made. I'm waiting to get the entire six season box set on blu-ray now that's a **** load of discs
Quote by Wikipedia.org
These nouns are often used with a form of "to be" rather than "to have," e.g., "he is pwnage" rather than "he has pwnage". Either is a more emphatic way of expressing the simpler "he pwns,"
Quote by Bearded_Seth
Another thing to note, having the Bluray and watching the movie on SkyHD or whatever is nowhere near the same experience.

HDTV is compressed to shit to actually beam to us quick enough. Make me wonder what Virgin HD is like (being on Fiberoptics n all).

Is Virgin HD some kind of Fiberoptic television service? I've never heard of it.
Quote by Spartan101400
Is Virgin HD some kind of Fiberoptic television service? I've never heard of it.

Well I'm not sure if it is actually on Fiberoptic, all I know is that their internet service is.

Quote by Bearded_Seth
Well I'm not sure if it is actually on Fiberoptic, all I know is that their internet service is.

Huh, sadly, since I live at my Grandmothers, she has AT&T U-Verse, which is a sad excuse for cable, it might as well be Satellite.

On topic, I found 2001: A Space Odyssey at Wal-Mart for 10 bucks, wondering if I should get it.
Quote by Spartan101400
Huh, sadly, since I live at my Grandmothers, she has AT&T U-Verse, which is a sad excuse for cable, it might as well be Satellite.

On topic, I found 2001: A Space Odyssey at Wal-Mart for 10 bucks, wondering if I should get it.

Something I've noticed is that if a BluRay is cheap, it's not a big improvement over the DVD. I checked it out on my main shop, and it's reviewed quite highly despite the low price.

If you're a fan, go for it
The Fall, Blew the shit out of my eyes on a dvd and laptop, I'd love to see it in HD
Up and Wall-E and any other disney-pixar films
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

kingdom of heaven. Unreal shit
Quote by babakkatt
Whats wrong with asking a girl what kind of cheese she likes?

LOUD NOISES
The 5th Element, A Clockwork Orange or Predator
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
I've heard Sin City looks pretty amazing on bluray
Quote by Kensai

It's the pit; nelson mandela could make a thread urging everyone to do an effort towards reducing apartheid politics in some countries and everyone would post a photoshop of him with a melon hat.
I believe spirited away will soon be getting a bluray release.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
I've not seen any blu-ray movies yet, but I imagine Dark Knight, District 9 or Star Wars are pretty good in Blu-Ray. I'm trying to think of stuff, but I've never seen a blu-ray movie so I'm just going with what already looked damn fine on DVD. Untouchables is great visually, so if that's got a Blu-Ray touch up, I'd recommend that.

edit: How did I forget Watchmen?
Quote by cornmancer
I've not seen any blu-ray movies yet, but I imagine Dark Knight, District 9 or Star Wars are pretty good in Blu-Ray. I'm trying to think of stuff, but I've never seen a blu-ray movie so I'm just going with what already looked damn fine on DVD. Untouchables is great visually, so if that's got a Blu-Ray touch up, I'd recommend that.

edit: How did I forget Watchmen?

Star wars original trilogy and prequel trilogy arent out until next fall. ridiculous. I'm thinking about getting a blu ray player next tbh but i can only afford the toshiba which is the cheapest one around :/
i heard 2012 was amazing on bluray i still haven't seen it tho
Quote by howamidriving?
wall-e.

seriously

Agreed even though I haven't seen it on blu ray. Pixar does an absolutely amazing job with their animations and textures. Cars is worth checking out too.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by jeff b
i heard 2012 was amazing on bluray i still haven't seen it tho

I have that too.. Found it too painful to sit through, though.
Page 1 of 2