Hi!
I own a 3 months old Ibanez ART120 and on the 2nd frets of the 2nd and 3rd string there is a LOT of fret buzz, to the point that completely ruins some songs...
I don't think I can get the bridge higher because a ship can pass under it already!

What can/should I do?
have you recently changes string gauges?
it could be a low nut as well or a bowed neck
im pretty sure that bowed necks change the action in the middle of the neck
by the way if its only the 2nd fret, the fret could bee too low
If you can’t get the guitar to play well yourself take it to a good guitar tech. There’s a big difference between the setup you do after reading instructions online and the setup you get from a guy who has been doing them five times a day for ten years.
It is possible you may have to loosen the truss rod. When the truss rod is too tight, the neck is either dead flat or back bowed. This will cause buzz on the 2nd and 3rd frets. If your not getting buzz on the 2nd and 3rd strings when you play them open, or unfretted, then your nut is probably fine and not too low.

Hold down the first fret and last fret on one of the strings. Some say holding down the 1st fret and 15th fret is better. Try both. While doing this, look underneath the string at the 6th-8th fret area. You want to have a slight gap there. If the string is laying right on the top of the frets, you can assume you need to loosen the truss rod slightly.

See what you come up with when you try that out. Reply back here before you adjust anything. If it is not the truss rod that is an issue, it is most likely a high 3rd fret.
Last edited by TheWaydown at Sep 3, 2010,
I can't see whether there is a gap or not because it is too small for me to see, but I assume it has because if I play the string anywhere in the between of the 1st and last frets the string rings clearly.
"I can't see whether there is a gap or not because it is too small for me to see, but I assume it has because if I play the string anywhere in the between of the 1st and last frets the string rings clearly.
"
While pressing those same frets...
I'm not sure what you mean. You shouldn't be able to play the string if you are holding down the first fret and last fret of the same string. Let me try to explain it better.

Pick a string, maybe do it on the low E string so it will be easier to see underneath it. Hold down the 1st fret of the low E string. While holding this down, take your other hand and hold down the 15th fret. While you have both of these frets pressed down, look underneath the string at the 6th, 7th, and 8th fret. You are trying to see if there is any gap between the top of those 3 frets and then bottom of the string. If it is too small to see, try stretching one of your fingers and pushing the string down at these 6th-8th frets to see if it moves, or whether it is already laying on the frets in this location. If the string is touching the 6th, 7th, or 8th frets when you have the 1st fret and 15th fret held down, you need to loosen your truss rod. If it isn't touching, but the gap is so small that you cannot even tell if there is one, you may have to loosen your truss rod.

The gap is generally suppose to be around .010" which is about the thickness of your high e string. If you want to be sure about this gap, which is called 'neck relief', you can cut a piece of a high e string from a new batch of strings, and have someone hold the string down at the 1st and 15th frets while you slide the cut off piece of high e string between the string and the top of the frets.

When you can slide this piece of string between the top of the 6th-8th frets and the bottom of the string being held down, without it getting stuck, you know you have an acceptable amount of relief.

Try to see how small this gap is. If from what I described, you think it is smaller, or non-existent, then odds are you need to loosen your truss rod a bit. When I say a bit, I mean a really small amount.

You only want to loosen the truss rod about 1/8 of a turn at a time, and letting it sit for 2 hours or so in between adjustments. If you still have buzzing on the 2nd and 3rd frets after a couple hours, you can make another 1/8 turn adjustment of the truss rod.

If you aren't comfortable doing this by yourself, I'd suggest you bring the guitar back to the shop, however, it is nice to learn this stuff, it will save you money and time in the long run.

Let me know what you find. I'm pretty confident all you need is an adjustment of the truss rod, but it is better that you figure out whether or not your neck relief (gap) is too small first. This will tell you for sure. Good luck!