Ok here is the deal: i play in funkish rock band, all is great but one thing: they constantly ask me to play with more aggresion/attack, while still playing with fingers. I am already hitting strings with all i got so only thing left is to play with tone and well i suck at it, badly, so maybe you guys can share some ideas?
My gear:
Cort action V (passive jazz);
Zoom effect processor;
Sound goes though hartke head+cab, i cannot touch EQ( not my gear and i was asked not to).

Thanks in advance.
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
Dude just write down the eq settings and put them back when you're done. Nobody is so anal they would notice you moved the EQ settings and moved them back.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Quote by 6stringbasshred
Is there anything on the zoom you could use, possibly like a bit of overdrive or something?

Yep, overdrive and fuzz but i get more noise out of those rather that punch/big attack.

Quote by MrDinkleberry
Dude just write down the eq settings and put them back when you're done. Nobody is so anal they would notice you moved the EQ settings and moved them back.

If only he would leave the place when we play he sees himself as volunter producer, and well, as he is getting us gigs and doesnt ask for money....

not sure that i fully understand what you're going for, but have you tried hitting the strings towards your bass as you play? pretty much hitting them off your neck? gets a more clunky rar sound, but i get the feeling you want a more trebley twangy sorta noise
Turn up the bass and treble?
That's what I did on my pre-amp pedal for Ginger.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Sveikas, kolega! I'll write in english for all to follow I have a zoom too, so I can suggest several options. Create a patch that has THE SOUND you want without amp eq'ing. Then my option would be this - bypass his eq. If there is a switch to turn off the eq, use that, or if there is none - just follow this chain: bass -> zoom -> effects return ; you'll bypass the eq and it'll use the zoom patch only.
Well, it seems they want me to have punch like sound that cuts through very well, "it must sound like getting face hit by a brick" the singer told me. As i was not hit with one and dont plan to - cant describe it better.

about playing position & style: near bridge, hitting strings as hard as i can.

P.S. nesveikuolis, ill try that

Last edited by C0_0kie at Sep 3, 2010,
Dude, without touching the EQ, there's no real way to get more punch and attack - that's exactly what EQ's there for - to change the tone. 'Agressive' means different things to different people - they might want full bass and treble, or they might want mids and treb,but either way, you're gunna have to sort out the EQ to get it. OR, get some finger picks, but seriously, ask the guy if you can just note where the knobs where and move them...
As well as using a different EQ, try playing more so over the neck pick up. You can get a little more attack and helps with the punch side of things. New strings would help too
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Lower your action, raise your highs, turn off your tweeter
CANNIBAL CORPSE

oh, and dig. dammit! dig for your life!

foodit: you cannot mess with the amp...
try an EQ pedal that is greatly skewed to offset his EQ? I think you should just ask him if you can move it and return it. It is pretty immature of him to say you can't, even though it's his. Can't he remember the positions of 6-to-8 knobs himself? It isn't that hard. If he doesn't want you to adjust his amp, he should just take the knobs off or something (joke).
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Last edited by lordofthefood1 at Sep 3, 2010,
If you have a Zoom then it has Amp models, use one of the brighter ones like Hartke. The Sansamp one is good too. Go on my profile and listen to "Bass with Space", I got that tone with a Zoom but nothing else seems to be able to do it ;_;
Quote by Sabscope
but seriously, ask the guy if you can just note where the knobs where and move them...

This.

If he says no, ask him to give you one good reason why it would be a problem for you to move them if you're going move them right back to where they were; I highly doubt that his ear is so good that he can tell when his knobs aren't EXACTLY in a certain spot.

Hell, I'd probably even put money on the fact that he didn't take a vast amount of time tweaking the knobs so they're just right, but really just ballparked them.

In all honesty, if it were me, and he said it would be a problem, I'd probably start a huge argument.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by C0_0kie
Well, it seems they want me to have punch like sound that cuts through very well, "it must sound like getting face hit by a brick" the singer told me. As i was not hit with one and dont plan to - cant describe it better.

about playing position & style: near bridge, hitting strings as hard as i can.

P.S. nesveikuolis, ill try that

Aside from the other suggestions here, try this:

As someone mentioned above, try hitting the strings harder down towards the fretboard, but play fairly close to the neck too, ala John Enwistle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lf10U0yZrs

In this video he is using drive too, but you can see the technique that he uses.

I also find that you can make something a bit punchier by shortening the notes you're playing a bit more staccato like. Try emphasising notes that fall on a snare drum hit as well as the kick drum too.
he wants you to sound different, but won't let you adust the EQ? what a douche. anyway umm try using more of your neck pick up.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Try using a pick. Attack by the boatload.

and you're gonna hafta adjust EQ probly.

^And i'd say more bridge pick-up than neck
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Last edited by NakedBassist at Sep 3, 2010,
Naked, I know I'm talking about digging at the neck with low action and full tone. (Interjection: if it were a P-Bass, I think the neck pup would be more justifiable). It creates a semi-slap that cuts right through the mix. I would agree to play at the bridge if you're going to use a pick for attack.

The J pups throw me off, I can't make any pleasing sound with them.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I crank up the gain, and I use the edgyst eq on my bass. I play up near the neck and let the strings hit the frets.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
You could always use a pick and play hard too, whenever I really dig in with my fingers I get tired pretty quickly - therefore the tone will suffer.
signature
It's definitely in the EQ. Gotta get your own or convince buddy to let you tweak it. A little overdrive will add some punch as well.

FYI - I don't know how new your strings are, but they do deaden after time due to oils and skin from the fingers and that can cause flatness. A little trick I use if I can't afford new strings is to boil them in a pot with vinegar and water. Sounds hokey, but they do sound like new again and regain that punch...give it a shot.
Have a look at some other peoples paying styles
Scott Reeder and Geezer Butler both play with a very unqie,agressive finger style.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
you might wanna try something like a frown eq where the mids are boosted, the mids is usually where its at if you want an agressive tone also maybe an overdrive/fuzz of some sort too might help
Shamone